Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Whoa Bruce...  (Read 29403 times)

muhoosier260

• All American
Re: Whoa Bruce...
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
Indiana was the hotbed of the KKK in the early 20th century.  Rumor was they tried to buy Valparaiso University for a Klan college.
True. KKK didn't start there though, that was much earlier. KKK had enough clout in Indiana that the state legislature was under their control for much of the 1920's

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
Political correctness is Cultural Marxism, something worth googling since it isn't exactly an accident of cultural progress.  However well-meaning one might be by defining the rules of what's acceptable, I'm more bothered by the PC police than by what someone says without thinking. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 05:48:44 PM »
Political correctness is Cultural Marxism, something worth googling since it isn't exactly an accident of cultural progress.  However well-meaning one might be by defining the rules of what's acceptable, I'm more bothered by the PC police than by what someone says without thinking. 

99.9999% of the time, I agree with that statement....unless the person making the stupid statement is claiming his own fan base is racist.  Not very funny and definitely not what I'd expect a coach to call his team's followers. 

That term has been thrown around way too much of late and it's getting old.  You can't dare to question a certain national leader without the claim of racist coming up from some prominent folks.  If a certain singer doesn't win an award but a country singer does, well that must be racist (unless you're Kanye West practicing his own form of racism through the years in which case that's ok and not racism). 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 06:06:01 PM »
...and now we get to the real crux of MUWarrior74's problem......     I knew you 'd get there, Chico,  I was just waiting.    You lasted longer than I thought you would. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »
No, you call him a racist and stand by it, or you say he said something stupid, like we all do from time to time, and let it be.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:13:32 PM by MOwarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »
Excuse me Tower?  My problem is that throwing around terms of racism isn't cool and unfortunately lessens the degree of how terrible racism is.  If everything is racist, well then soon nothing is racist.  That's my point.  By making racism the butt of jokes or crying wolf racism so often today in society, it cheapens it.  There are racists all over the world, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc.....everywhere.  We have some deadly strains of it right now happening where I live.  It's terrible and people are dying over it.  Shooting people in the head because of the color of their skin or because they are Asian or Hispanic.  It's sick.

Quite frankly, I don't think joking about race is very funny.....especially when so many people in this country are trying to move forward and beyond race.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:16:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2009, 06:19:03 PM »
i feel incrementally more stupid after every chicos post i read.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
99.9999% of the time, I agree with that statement....unless the person making the stupid statement is claiming his own fan base is racist.  Not very funny and definitely not what I'd expect a coach to call his team's followers. 

That term has been thrown around way too much of late and it's getting old.  You can't dare to question a certain national leader without the claim of racist coming up from some prominent folks.  If a certain singer doesn't win an award but a country singer does, well that must be racist (unless you're Kanye West practicing his own form of racism through the years in which case that's ok and not racism). 

Bruce Pearl will be happy that you think he's one in a million.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2009, 08:07:17 PM »
Excuse me Tower?  My problem is that throwing around terms of racism isn't cool and unfortunately lessens the degree of how terrible racism is.  If everything is racist, well then soon nothing is racist.  That's my point.  By making racism the butt of jokes or crying wolf racism so often today in society, it cheapens it.  There are racists all over the world, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc.....everywhere.  We have some deadly strains of it right now happening where I live.  It's terrible and people are dying over it.  Shooting people in the head because of the color of their skin or because they are Asian or Hispanic.  It's sick.

Quite frankly, I don't think joking about race is very funny.....especially when so many people in this country are trying to move forward and beyond race.

While I agree with elements of your rant, the idea that any subject is off limits to humor is epitome of PC. There is nothing funny about alchoholism, drug addiction, sexual dysfunction, etc, etc, etc, but I've heard (and told) more than a few what I consider to be funny jokes on these and a myriad of other "unfunny" topics.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2009, 08:14:31 PM »
While I agree with elements of your rant, the idea that any subject is off limits to humor is epitome of PC. There is nothing funny about alchoholism, drug addiction, sexual dysfunction, etc, etc, etc, but I've heard (and told) more than a few what I consider to be funny jokes on these and a myriad of other "unfunny" topics.

You may be right Lenny.  I just put race in a different category.  Many people through their own stupid decisions have gone down the path of drug addiction, alcoholism, etc (and yes, I realize some are in that state due to a medical condition) and thus people joke about it because of moronic behavior.  I put racism on a different rung, especially in today's day and age when people are screaming racism at such an alarming rate.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »
You may be right Lenny.  I just put race in a different category.  Many people through their own stupid decisions have gone down the path of drug addiction, alcoholism, etc (and yes, I realize some are in that state due to a medical condition) and thus people joke about it because of moronic behavior.  I put racism on a different rung, especially in today's day and age when people are screaming racism at such an alarming rate.

I just don't see how bogus claims of racism should make race/racism off limits to humor. Seems to me we could use more jokes and less posturing and faux outrage.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
I just don't see how bogus claims of racism should make race/racism off limits to humor. Seems to me we could use more jokes and less posturing and faux outrage.

Believe me, most of my "outrage" is not directed at Bruce Pearl, but folks screaming racism every two minutes.  The latest being the peanut gem from Georgia.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
I'm with Lenny's. Charges of Racism are meant to shut up opposition and really don't have much impact anymore. at least not to me because it is too knee jerk to be substantive.

Chico's is on point- racism is rampant no matter what race you are. Most of the time it is just being comfortable with your own. N.B. there is no word in Gaelic for " The Race"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 12:53:16 AM »
+1  That's all this is about....as we know, certain people are allowed to say certain things and others are not.  It's B.S., but that's the world we live in. 

examples??

I know it's going to happen soon, but Supahbah!
SS Marquette

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2009, 08:22:31 AM »

Bogus?  Are you seriously claiming that the accusations against the KKK are merely "bogus claims of racism", and therefore their actions are fair game for jokes.

Or are you saying that because there are other examples of "faux outrage" we can now ignore any and all legitimate claims?  Because some people have overplayed the racism card, you no longer feel obligated to recognize the real injustices by the KKK that have occurred?

I'm sorry, but I think most decent people are able to differentiate between examples of "faux outrage" and  the very real sins committed by the KKK.

If you think the KKK is a joking matter and opposition to them is driven by "bogus claims of racism", I suggest you go back to the history books and learn what you quite obviously missed the first time around.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2009, 09:48:21 AM »
examples??

I know it's going to happen soon, but Supahbah!

Are you serious?  Without turning this into a Supahbah post, you want me to list things that some people can say and not get in trouble for and others can't say would literally get canned for saying them? 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2009, 11:00:06 AM »
Are you serious?  Without turning this into a Supahbah post, you want me to list things that some people can say and not get in trouble for and others can't say would literally get canned for saying them? 

This is an easy one.

Dave Chapelle is hilarious. His show was awesome and extremely popular. He touched on a lot of sensitive issues in a very honest, smart and funny way.

The President of the United States (regardless of who he is) cannot say the same things as Chapelle (even if they are true).

Back on topic: Bruce made an inappropriate joke (that might be funny behind closed doors, but not in public), and he later apologized for it. Not a big deal.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
"I don't see race."
-Stephen Colbert & ChicosBailBonds

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2009, 12:03:46 PM »
Bogus?  Are you seriously claiming that the accusations against the KKK are merely "bogus claims of racism", and therefore their actions are fair game for jokes.

Or are you saying that because there are other examples of "faux outrage" we can now ignore any and all legitimate claims?  Because some people have overplayed the racism card, you no longer feel obligated to recognize the real injustices by the KKK that have occurred?

I'm sorry, but I think most decent people are able to differentiate between examples of "faux outrage" and  the very real sins committed by the KKK.

If you think the KKK is a joking matter and opposition to them is driven by "bogus claims of racism", I suggest you go back to the history books and learn what you quite obviously missed the first time around.

WTF? Do you have any reading comprehension skills whatsoever? 1. Never, anywhere do I or would I claim that accusations against the KKK are merely bogus claims of racism. 2. Again, I never suggested that real racial injustices perpetrated by the KKK (or any other racist group) be ignored. Quite the contrary. Racism is a terrible blot on our coutry's history and the KKK is an integral part of that history.

As to what subjects should be banned from any jokes/humor, you tell me. A list of what books to ban would also be helpful.

Oh, and thaks for the lecture even if you (as is your wont) totally misinterpreted and mis represented my earlier posts.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
This is an easy one.

Dave Chapelle is hilarious. His show was awesome and extremely popular. He touched on a lot of sensitive issues in a very honest, smart and funny way.

The President of the United States (regardless of who he is) cannot say the same things as Chapelle (even if they are true).

Back on topic: Bruce made an inappropriate joke (that might be funny behind closed doors, but not in public), and he later apologized for it. Not a big deal.

Thanks, 2002.

I wonder if they're still talking about this in TN.
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »
This is an easy one.

This and your previous post on the subject are spot on. No topic is off limits for humor but both a person's position and the forum he chooses are relevant.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »
"I don't see race."
-Stephen Colbert & ChicosBailBonds

Oh, I see it, I just don't act on it.  I choose to live in a city that I'm a minority in. I choose to send my children to a school that they are minorities.  I choose to hire people based on their merits (and based on that philosophy, I have a very diverse group anyway you wish to categorize ...ethnic, gender, orientation, ideology, etc).  You can't ignore race unless you're blind, but one can most certainly act with colorblind lens which is what most people attempt to do.  Treat people fairly, treat people equally and with respect, reward based on merit.  Simple credo.

I believe we should be a colorblind society but at the same time there is a cottage industry of white guilt out there that has the best intentions but paints with much too broad a brush and essentially paints people as racists that are not, simply by the actions of their ancestors years ago (it's essentially a form of racism in and of itself).  Terrible things happened (and still happen) to people on this planet due to racism.  No group has been excluded....no one (every group has been a victim...some even having racist acts committed by the very groups that have historically been victims themselves).  I just don't see how screaming racism all the time moves us forward.  I'd argue, it moves us backward.  When you start labeling people racists when they are not, whether it's a joke or not, that is not productive.  IMO.

I'm more steamed at the cries of racism by some power brokers than I am Bruce Pearl.  He's just a big, hairy idiot that paints his skin orange and tells a lot of "funny" jokes.  Fuzzy Zoeller once told a "funny" joke, too, only people didn't think it was so funny (neither did I). 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:48:25 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »
This is an easy one.

I wasn't even thinking comedians, who have their own license to say pretty much anything they want (though even then there is a code....Richard Pryor could say things that Jerry Seinfeld is not allowed to.)

I was thinking more along the lines of people in power (corporate leaders, academics, politicians, etc)....some people are allowed to say some things with no recourse while others would be shown the door immediately if they said those same things.  Again, also a very simple exercise that would reveal many names and examples in no time at all.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
I wasn't even thinking comedians, who have their own license to say pretty much anything they want (though even then there is a code....Richard Pryor could say things that Jerry Seinfeld is not allowed to.)

I was thinking more along the lines of people in power (corporate leaders, academics, politicians, etc)....some people are allowed to say some things with no recourse while others would be shown the door immediately if they said those same things.  Again, also a very simple exercise that would reveal many names and examples in no time at all.

Just one small edit, people are allowed to say whatever they want. (Except fire in a crowded theater...), but people have to deal with consequences of what they say, and what forum they choose to say it.  Freedom of speech is very misunderstood.  I am free to call my boss a jag, but I have to deal with his response.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »
Just one small edit, people are allowed to say whatever they want. (Except fire in a crowded theater...), but people have to deal with consequences of what they say, and what forum they choose to say it.  Freedom of speech is very misunderstood.  I am free to call my boss a jag, but I have to deal with his response.

That's a good point. We're talking about socially acceptable vs. legal.