[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Desrosiers to Wake  (Read 13270 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Desrosiers to Wake
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »

ok, how about someone over 6'7"?  crean could get the little guys, too.  maybe the ceilings are too low at mu and it scares the big guys away.

mmmmmmmm Bao?    Another one out of nowhere.   7'2" at last check.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 06:44:42 PM »

[/quote

ok, over 6'7 and can ball. 
reading this, why don't i feel optimistic?:

"Standing a tall 7’2 with intriguing athleticism to boot, Mbao (Unranked by Rivals, Scout, and ESPN) definitely passes the initial look test for a basketball prospect, even with his skinny frame that could use quite a few more pounds. He’s very long and fairly mobile, though he doesn’t seem to be at his physical peak just yet, lacking in coordination, conditioning, and quickness, all of which could improve over time, though.

Looking at his actual game, Mbao is clearly still a work in progress, not being able to consistently contribute much on the offensive end. He relies heavily on an awkward turnaround jumper in the post, which he actually hit a handful of times this weekend, but he struggles to get post positioning, he’s not especially quick with his moves, and he doesn’t show great awareness in choosing his moves. When trying to go to counter-moves, you see the game slow down dramatically for him, and it’s easy to see his effectiveness dropping when guarded by more formidable opponents.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »

[/quote

ok, over 6'7 and can ball. 
reading this, why don't i feel optimistic?:

"Standing a tall 7’2 with intriguing athleticism to boot, Mbao (Unranked by Rivals, Scout, and ESPN) definitely passes the initial look test for a basketball prospect, even with his skinny frame that could use quite a few more pounds. He’s very long and fairly mobile, though he doesn’t seem to be at his physical peak just yet, lacking in coordination, conditioning, and quickness, all of which could improve over time, though.

Looking at his actual game, Mbao is clearly still a work in progress, not being able to consistently contribute much on the offensive end. He relies heavily on an awkward turnaround jumper in the post, which he actually hit a handful of times this weekend, but he struggles to get post positioning, he’s not especially quick with his moves, and he doesn’t show great awareness in choosing his moves. When trying to go to counter-moves, you see the game slow down dramatically for him, and it’s easy to see his effectiveness dropping when guarded by more formidable opponents.

Big men don't just fall out of the sky.  They don't even just fall out of the sky for the big schools.  They are developed over time.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
Big men don't just fall out of the sky.  They don't even just fall out of the sky for the big schools.  They are developed over time.

Sure, but I don't recall reading similar reports on the guys we just missed on.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
In the Big East?  Not really.  He would be acceptable, but I doubt he would get to double digits in scoring in the Big East.

I'd take my chances with Jarrod than Trend.

And I just pray that Otule can hold the fort down for Mbao to develop a bit...just a year or two...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:38:27 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 08:04:29 AM »
But what do the co-ed's look like at Wake????

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
I'd take my chances with Jarrod than Trend.

And I'd take him over Otoule, Ooze, Grimm, Burke and nearly every big man of the past 14 years except Robert Jackson.  Sure that more of an indictment of our big man talent but you're kidding yourself if you think Lovette wouldn't have helped recently or would help this season.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »
With tons of playing time available to provide....Crean landed classes like that too.   We'll have to see if Buzz can do this with multiple playing classes

Fair point but I would argue Crean only landed 1 class like that (3 or more highly ranked recruits) and that was the 3 amigos.  Buzz has landed 1 class like that now as well...agreed, let's see if he can follow up another class like this in the next 3-8 years.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »

ok, how about someone over 6'7"?  crean could get the little guys, too.  maybe the ceilings are too low at mu and it scares the big guys away.

Over 6'7"? Ok that has yet to happen but while Crean landed some great guards I think you can check the upcoming program and see that EWilliams and JMaymon are both listed as forwards.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »
We will never know, but I cannot help but thinking we can blame this loss on Monterle Clark. We were in Desrosiers final three and ended up not getting his schedule official visit. With Clark on the inside it was more likely Desrosiers could play on the outside. I think Wake won out in part because Desrosiers felt he would play on the outside for sure. MU has two project centers and ASU has a 7'2" nobody.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »
We will never know, but I cannot help but thinking we can blame this loss on Monterle Clark. We were in Desrosiers final three and ended up not getting his schedule official visit. With Clark on the inside it was more likely Desrosiers could play on the outside. I think Wake won out in part because Desrosiers felt he would play on the outside for sure. MU has two project centers and ASU has a 7'2" nobody.

No.

CD and Clark are pretty much the same player. Both are looking to play on the wing, and not bang down low. Neither are "inside players."

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 09:19:57 AM »

You'd be wrong in that thinking.  Clark would have been the one to play outside among those two, he is not an inside player by any stretch of the imagination.  

Desrosiers possible position at MU was not effected one way or the other by Monterale Clark.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
Fair point but I would argue Crean only landed 1 class like that (3 or more highly ranked recruits) and that was the 3 amigos.  Buzz has landed 1 class like that now as well...agreed, let's see if he can follow up another class like this in the next 3-8 years.

I agree

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »
Over 6'7"? Ok that has yet to happen but while Crean landed some great guards I think you can check the upcoming program and see that EWilliams and JMaymon are both listed as forwards.
I think that Buzz is focused on trying to fix that problem.  Not all of this has worked out but there have been 4 or 5 in the last year.  McMorrow, who I really looked forward to seeing develop.  Otule, who seems to be improving.  Mbao, raw but big.  Clark, well.  Roseboro, probably not a center but still somewhat of a big.  So maybe there is more in store.  I know that none of this has produced results yet but I think that there is reason for hope.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2009, 10:19:19 AM »
From the article above, here are the reasons he says he chose Wake:

5. "From the very first contact, the coaching staff seemed like a great group of guys."

4. "I love their running style. I have an opportunity to play the four (power forward), playing both inside and out."

3. "I loved the location. I can't think of a prettier campus."

2. "I'm part of a recruiting class rated in the top 5 nationally (No. 7 by Rivals.com before Desrosiers signed)."

1. "First and most important, it's a top 25 academic school with opportunities I couldn't afford to pass up."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 10:37:28 AM »

5. ...4. ...3. ...2. ...1. ...

It's refreshing to see players take a well rounded view of a school before they make a decision.  I get sick of hearing the "I wanted to play in a big market & former NBA coach" reasons. Best of luck CD.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

nyg

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »

5. "From the very first contact, the coaching staff seemed like a great group of guys."

4. "I love their running style. I have an opportunity to play the four (power forward), playing both inside and out."

3. "I loved the location. I can't think of a prettier campus."

2. "I'm part of a recruiting class rated in the top 5 nationally (No. 7 by Rivals.com before Desrosiers signed)."

1. "First and most important, it's a top 25 academic school with opportunities I couldn't afford to pass up."

All valid points especially the campus and its academics. From what I read, Gaudio is a down to earth coach who stepped into a tough situation following the death of Skip Prosser.  Can't root against the kid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
And it doesn't really surprise me that he didn't come here.  When I was that age, Marquette was the first visit I went on, and I was hooked immediately.  My parents tried to push me to make more, but I had my mind made up.  I'm sure after he looked at Wake, and then at ASU, he simply thought "Why bother?"

feedback