[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cadougan likely out for the year  (Read 24065 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Cadougan likely out for the year
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »
Otule could improve 400% and still not get off the bench. I think Buzz needs to play Williams and Maymon.

Completely on point.  Listen... you don't go from a center that can't get time on a team without a center to some stud in a year (or ever?).  I hope Otule gets biz and becomes a solid contributor, but to think he's some 30 minute guy that controls the paint is just stupid.  This season depends on X number of newcomers stepping up.  X depends on how and when.  It's not going to be Otule.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
The reason I posted that is you tend to be one of the more alarmist posters on this board. Here's my reasoned response-

How am I one of the more alarmist posters on this board? When James went down and everyone was doom and gloom, I (perhaps somewhat stupidly) thought we would be alright in the BE tourney and still make the Sweet 16 in the NCAA's.

Multiple experts list Cadougan as the key to our season this year, losing him is big and losing DJO for 6 weeks will definitely slow down his development.

In case you didn't notice our BE schedule starts out with @WV, Villanova, G-town, @Villanova. The Old Spice Classic, NC State, and @Wisconsin games are also going to be extremely tough with a Sun Belt PG and a short bench.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
Losing Cadougan obviously really hurts this team. I'm not so sure the sky is falling, though.  I thought Buycks would win the starting PG position prior to JC's injury.  Now, I see Buycks as a 30+ mpg PG.  We have no depth right now, but as it stands, I think we have quality guys playing all the minutes.....one more injury and we are up the creek.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
You've taken a pretty rosy view of the situation.

In 24 hours, we've lost two players who were considered starter-material. One of them has been very good during summer scrimmages whom luckily we will get back but will lost time hurt him? The other was nearly a de facto starter (delayed a bit) since he committed and his loss is big even though he's never played a minute.

Not to mention the players left who have issues in Fulce with his health problems and Mbao who will have a suspension. Throw in two most likely starters in Buycks and Maymon that have never played at this level and you could see why some people think the season is teetering on the toilet.

exactly.  and if everyone is sure that DJO will be back and running around by Midnight Madness they are probably kidding themeselves.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »
I think Acker and Otule play together. Otule is not a ball handler and needs someone to get the ball to him. However, I believe it is time for Buzz to play his recruits. I think we will see Hayward, Williams, Butler and
Maymon on the floor with one guard a significant amount of the time. It sounds like Fulce is recovering and he can sub for any of the four swingmen.

bilsu-----getting the ball down low to the low postup isn't a high wire act----it can be taught-----rather basic stuff.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
True, Murff. But the low-post player has to catch the ball and then do something productive with it.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2009, 10:22:51 AM »
   Completely on point.  Listen... you don't go from a center that can't get time on a team without a center to some stud in a year (or ever?).  I hope Otule gets biz and becomes a solid contributor, but to think he's some 30 minute guy that controls the paint is just stupid.  This season depends on X number of newcomers stepping up.  X depends on how and when.  It's not going to be Otule.

Totally agree. From what we saw last season I cannot envision Otule starting this year. I'm hoping for about 10-15 minutes a game.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »
Totally agree. From what we saw last season I cannot envision Otule starting this year. I'm hoping for about 10-15 minutes a game.

Of course, from what we saw of Chris Crawford's or Amal McCaskill's freshmen seasons, one couldn't imagine them starting either.

Because Otule missed so much time last year, I don't think you can base expectations on how he performed. 

Its a new season--let's give him the benefit of the doubt on his injury-plagued freshman season before making the blanket statements that he can't play.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »
True, Murff. But the low-post player has to catch the ball and then do something productive with it.
Actually, Otule catches the ball far better than Burke or Barro.  His problem, as Rosiak noted in his open-gym notes, is finishing to the basket.  He may not get 30 minutes; but, he is not as bad as some posters here portray him to be.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
Of course, from what we saw of Chris Crawford's or Amal McCaskill's freshmen seasons, one couldn't imagine them starting either.

Because Otule missed so much time last year, I don't think you can base expectations on how he performed. 

Its a new season--let's give him the benefit of the doubt on his injury-plagued freshman season before making the blanket statements that he can't play.

I hope you are right, but Otule seemed to be absolutely lost and in over his head every time he played last year. Crawford was much farther along and McCaskill at least showed some athleticism.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
I like Otule, but the problem with him is that he is virtually blind in one eye, which effects his depth perception. His hands are not bad, he does not handle passes well because of his eyes. Same probelm with scoring the ball.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
I like Otule, but the problem with him is that he is virtually blind in one eye, which effects his depth perception. His hands are not bad, he does not handle passes well because of his eyes. Same probelm with scoring the ball.

This is the first I've heard of this. His glasses don't solve the issue? Is this something that lasik can't fix?

If that is true, why would you recruit a half-blind man to play basketball?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
This is the first I've heard of this. His glasses don't solve the issue? Is this something that lasik can't fix?

If that is true, why would you recruit a half-blind man to play basketball?

Crean was desparate.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »

Crean was desparate.

But we were told this was a Buzz recruit with his Texas connections.  I'm so confused   ;D

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »
I thought it was more a drooping eye kind of thing rather than site or no site.  The gallses were protective too.  I don't know - maybe I'm remembering this wrong.... seems so long ago lol

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
Wow, have been out-of-pocket for a while so just seeing this.  I apologize for thinking it was good to have Mo move on - very glad to have him back.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).