[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU gains next 2010 Commit  (Read 22568 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU snares 2010-'11 commit
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2009, 01:27:26 PM »
If I read it correctly, it's not scored exactly the way you state.  That's why I put the range in there and the equivalency table.

The two charts aren't exactly in balance. The first suggests a score > or = 1350 is equivalent to a score > or = 915. The second suggests 1350 = 898. I was only trying to tighten your range. Matters little to me as long as he qualifies.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: MU gains next 2010 Commit
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
I'm somewhat glad it's 1350 out of 2400.  When i first saw 1350 my reaction was, why the hell did he only have a 3.0 gpa.

Amazingly, I'm positive not many recruits as high as Jamail can claim that!
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »
Bottom line is that is academics are solid.

Agreed.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
Amazingly, I'm positive not many recruits as high as Jamail can claim that!

For sure, i'm just saying that if you are smart enought to get 1350/1600 and you have a 3.0 either you have a very hard highschool or you are sleep walking through class.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2009, 02:23:49 PM »
I think it's time we stop over analyzing this kid's academics. He just committed to MU, is extremely excited about it and according to all sources, there are no problems with his academics.

We know that recruits regularly read these forums. We need him to see how excited we are about him and what great and supportive fans MU has. If I was a recruit reading some of these comments I would start wondering what I had gotten myself into and wondering if MU's fan base was full of hyper critical d-bags.

Can't we just be happy and excited to land another top 100, long, rangy and very athletic recruit? Buzz is showing he can regularly land people (on a national level) that TC either couldn't or didn't try to. Let's just celebrate this great commitment and start looking forward to the season getting started.

just my $0.02.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:26:35 PM by texaswarrior74 »

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2009, 02:29:29 PM »
I think it's time we stop over analyzing this kid's academics. He just commited to MU, is extremely excited about it and according to all sources, there are no problems with his academics.

We know that recruits regularly read these forums. We need him to see how excited we are about him and what great and supportive fans MU has. If I was a recruit reading some of these comments I would start wondering what I had gotten myself into and wondering if MU's fan base was full of hyper critical d-bags.

Can't we just be happy and excited to land another top 100, long, rangy and very athletic recruit? Buzz is showing he can regularly land people (on a national level) that TC either couldn't or didn't try to. Let's just celebrate that fact and start looking forward to the season geting started.

just my $0.02.

AMEN BROTHER!  Your $0.02 was needed!  I'm happy and excited to have a smart, athleti,c and physically gifted athlete commit to Marquette.  It's cool to see guys committing to MU from various parts of the country... I think we should be thankfull that Marquette is much more widely known since our arrival on the Big East scene.   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:33:31 PM by TomW1365 »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
Ya really it doesn't matter to me what this kids SAT score was as long as its good enough for the NCAA and MU admissions.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2009, 03:36:28 PM »
I think it's time we stop over analyzing this kid's academics. He just committed to MU, is extremely excited about it and according to all sources, there are no problems with his academics.

Can't we just be happy and excited to land another top 100, long, rangy and very athletic recruit? Buzz is showing he can regularly land people (on a national level) that TC either couldn't or didn't try to. Let's just celebrate this great commitment and start looking forward to the season getting started.

just my $0.02.

Yes, but it would also be nice to not have to wait every year for the NCAA Clearing house to give our guys the go ahead.  That's been an unfortunate exercise for MU fans the last handful of years, thus the reason why academics has come up more and more in recent discussions. 

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
Yes, but it would also be nice to not have to wait every year for the NCAA Clearing house to give our guys the go ahead.  That's been an unfortunate exercise for MU fans the last handful of years, thus the reason why academics has come up more and more in recent discussions. 

Although to be fair, past Clearinghouse delays have not centered around grades or test scores, but rather whether or not the specific HS courses at the schools in question met the core requirements.  Jones could have a 4.0 and a 2400 on the SAT, and the NCAA would still have to review the courses he took at Greenforest Christian and Montverde Academy.

As an aside, comparing Jones' schools to those of other players delayed by the clearinghouse, I would expect that the NCAA will have less to question in his case. 

Greenforest
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/7730
Montverde
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/6673

FYI, here's Cadougan's school:
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/26659

Mbao's:
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/35843

Hayward's:
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/13212

It's a fact of life these days that elite level basketball players are increasingly spending their HS years in specialty schools rather than traditional HS environments. 

I don't think that's bad--it's just different than what we're used to.  In my mind it is no different than attending an alternate math/science academy, school for the performing arts or humanities school.

I would like to see the NCAA staff up their clearinghouse staff in alignment with this trend.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU snares 2010-'11 commit
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »
Let's remember that the ceiling isn't 1600 like it was back in the day when many of us took it.  1350 out of 1600 is a fantastic score.  2400 is now the ceiling.

1350 on today's test is between the 15th and 36th percentile....basically the equivalent of getting between a 810 and 950 on the old test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Raw_scores.2C_scaled_scores.2C_and_percentiles

Still, he won't have any issues getting in or being cleared which is great news.  It seems the last few years we've gone through this waiting game each year to get kids cleared.  That gets old on many levels.

That is a whole different story.
We Are Marquette