[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Handlers and Recruiting/Mychal Parker  (Read 5115 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Handlers and Recruiting/Mychal Parker
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »
A "must read" about the rise of handlers and their involvement in recruitment.

From the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/17/AR2009081702512.html?hpid%3Dartslot%E2%8A%82AR
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:07:20 PM by texaswarrior74 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Handlers and Recruiting/Mychal Parker
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the link. It was a good read.

I wonder how many "handlers" (non-parents) are out there...
SS Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »
I wonder if Buzz puts up with crap like that?

It's too bad that young players put their future into the hands of guys like Davis.  Someone with money on their mind may not have your best interest in their mind as well.  I'm surprised that the parents of athletes put up with this sort of stuff... someone making money off of their kid in exchange for mediocre advice.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »

It's too bad that young players put their future into the hands of guys like Davis.  Someone with money on their mind may not have your best interest in their mind as well.  I'm surprised that the parents of athletes put up with this sort of stuff... someone making money off of their kid in exchange for mediocre advice.

Regarding the parents, I think you'd be surprised.  I've found that if parents haven't attended college, they are somewhat bewildered by the entire process regardless if their child is an athlete or not.  Throw the whole athletic issue in the mix, and they just don't know what to do.

My son has a friend who is a very good soccer player.  She was getting letters from a couple of smaller scholarship schools and a somewhat larger in-state university with a mediocre soccer program.   But they fell for a guy selling his "recruiting service" who said she was better than that, and they shelled out a few hundred bucks.  The recruiting service put together a crappy brochure and a couple of highlight tapes and sent them all over the place. 

When it was all over, she ended up going to the in-state university that recruited her on their own in the first place.

Many parents just don't know what to do.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »
could that "handler" have been anymore of a doucebottle?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:42 AM »

Regarding the parents, I think you'd be surprised.  I've found that if parents haven't attended college, they are somewhat bewildered by the entire process regardless if their child is an athlete or not.  Throw the whole athletic issue in the mix, and they just don't know what to do.

My son has a friend who is a very good soccer player.  She was getting letters from a couple of smaller scholarship schools and a somewhat larger in-state university with a mediocre soccer program.   But they fell for a guy selling his "recruiting service" who said she was better than that, and they shelled out a few hundred bucks.  The recruiting service put together a crappy brochure and a couple of highlight tapes and sent them all over the place. 

When it was all over, she ended up going to the in-state university that recruited her on their own in the first place.

Many parents just don't know what to do.

We have a guy in my town that has that kind of service....what a class A jerk.  He tries to find scholarships for kids that are B type players and it's brutal watching what he does, what type of hyping he sells to the kids and parents.  Bad news.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »
What puzzles me is how can they trust a 22 yo with their son's recruitment when he doesn't even have established contacts?
SS Marquette

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »

The article makes it sound like there are handlers darn near everywhere. I would bet Buzz and his staff have to deal with them.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »
The article makes it sound like there are handlers darn near everywhere. I would bet Buzz and his staff have to deal with them.

Snaer, Michael; Perry, Kool-Aid.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
I saw it play out with a couple of players I played AAU with.  I wasn't good enough to get offers (you know the guy that would play D, not turn the ball over, get it to the guys that were good, and hit a wide open shot every now and then), but what could be considered a "handler" was not always a bad person/thing.  I had one friend who was from a small school, that never had talent before, and his coach did nothing to help him get a scholarship, and they hired out a service that found him a full-ride.  Not a perfect world, but...