'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Katz's picks the candidates for the Wooden Award---> No Lazar?  (Read 2616 times)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4398914&name=katz_andy

I was a bit surprised to learn that Lazar Hayward wasn't included in the 50 players predicted by Andy Katz to be included among the preseason Wooden Award list.  I think Lazar will be among the top 20 players in the country this year when it's all said and done.    
Now let me be clear, while I think Lazar is going to have a monster season, I don't think he'll be a front runner for this prestigious award unless a miracle season happens.  But it is nice to be recognized as one of the top 50 players in the country by the press.  Hopefully ESPN's Andy Katz overlooked Lazar and we'll see him on the official pre-season Wooden Award watch list.  

I've seen a few other threads with predictions on Lazar's stats this year...  what would he have to finish the year at stat wise to be considered among the top 10 in the country?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:44:10 PM by TomW1365 »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Katz's picks the candidates for the Wooden Award---> No Lazar?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
Who cares what Andy Katz thinks, he's a d-bag...

Lazar is a very good player. Unfortunately no matter what he does he will never get the national recognition we here at MU know he deserves. He was always looked over by the media (even in Milwaukee) for McNeal, Matthews and James. Just a consequence for playing with such a unique crew of excellent guards. The poor guy wasn't even Honorable Mention for any of the All Big East teams when he was in the top ten in scoring and rebounding. Sadly I believe its now too late for him to build up name recognition for any national awards. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:51:31 PM »
He *might* be a top 50 player.  I definitely would not put him in the top 20.

he did well when he was the 4th guy that teams had to worry about... he must prove he can do it without them around him.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »
He also doesn't have JuJuan Johnson from Purdue on that list.  I think he's got a damn good shot at being the best player in the Big Ten, and one of the best big men in college bball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »
For Lazar to make a slash on the national level, he'll need both a huge statistical senior year and the team will have to perform over expectations.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »
I don't recognize 30% of the players on that list!
SS Marquette

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »
Who cares what Andy Katz thinks, he's a d-bag...

Lazar is a very good player. Unfortunately no matter what he does he will never get the national recognition we here at MU know he deserves. He was always looked over by the media (even in Milwaukee) for McNeal, Matthews and James. Just a consequence for playing with such a unique crew of excellent guards. The poor guy wasn't even Honorable Mention for any of the All Big East teams when he was in the top ten in scoring and rebounding. Sadly I believe its now too late for him to build up name recognition for any national awards. 

I would expect that to change dramatically this year . . . IDK, IMO it's not surprising that the 3 Amigos got more press that 'Zar last season! Now if it persists this season, then you may have a point.

feedback