[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU's class of unknowns  (Read 3884 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] MU's class of unknowns
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:04 PM »
MU's class of unknowns

Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com was in Milwaukee to take a peek inside Marquette's gym and see what the Golden Eagles have on the court.

Goodman says it's weird not seeing the Big Three - Jerel McNeal, Dominic James and Wesley Matthews in there - but he likes what he sees. Even though most people outside of Milwaukee may have no idea who these guys are (outside Lazar Hayward).

"... as far as the nation is concerned, this is a team of anonymity," Goodman writes. "Even Hayward is far from a household name ..."

The team says it is practicing hard for what they know will be a physical season (especially Hayward, who will likely have to play power forward).

Said Hayward: "The way we practice, we may as well have shoulder pads and helmets."

Goodman relates that MU players feel that JUCO transfer Dwight Buycks is the player to look out for this season.

MU seems content knowing it'll be picked to finish in the lower half of the Big East this season, but, as Goodman notes, "four years ago, there were plenty of questions as well."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52924977.html

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU's class of unknowns
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »
Check It:  MAJOR error in this guy's journalism (and/or fact-finding, copy/editor)!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9917528/Marquette-rebuilding-with-anonymous-group

There are a few holdovers from last year's group that might have gone a step or two further than the second round of the NCAA tournament had Dominic James not gone down with a serious knee injury early in the Big East slate.

No Respect!!!!

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:58:18 PM »
Dwight Buycks is the guy.  He is everything.

i sure like hearing that.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:20:18 AM »
Dwight Buycks is the guy.  He is everything.

i sure like hearing that.

It is interesting especially because I think DJO will be the best new guard coming in next year...

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:04 AM »
I hope Buycks can play PG until Junior gets going!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:51:08 AM »
It is interesting especially because I think DJO will be the best new guard coming in next year...

I'm with you on that.

Buycks is probably the better shooter. But DJO is gonna bs explosive to the hole and feed off the line.
SS Marquette

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »
Gosh, I wish I could fast forward through this 6-6 football season at Auburn (a couple of miles from my house) to fly up to Milwaukee to see these guys.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:52:57 AM »
I would not over dramatize the missed summer for Junior.  Junior is for sure working out with a trainer and most likely playing ball at a high level on a daily basis at some gym that local collge players congrgate at.  Additionally he is playing with the canadian team this summer.  until recently freshmen were not even on campus early and it did not hurt the freshman seasons of many many players over the years.  Junior will have 2 months of training before practice even starts and then will have a full noncon season to get ready to roll.  He will be fine.  My concern is at this point when and if he gets cleared. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
Here's an interesting question:

It seemed to take frosh. a little while to get up to speed on TC's teams. He was notorious for having HUGE playbooks and running tons of sets. I can't remember if McNeal, James, and Matthews were on campus all summer, but I think they were. Lazar obviously wasn't, and it hurt him freshman year.

With Buzz, is it possible that players can ramp up faster with a more motion style offense? Obviously there is still a lot to learn and you have to adjust to the level of play. But, if Junior is playing against high level comp., his biggest adjustment will just be learning the playbook and getting to know his teammates.

If he gets on campus at the end of August, I would think he could learn the playbook and get comfortable with his teammates by November, right?

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:35 AM »
lazar was on campus but then got redflagged after school started and we see how it hurt him.  i would much rather a kid miss the summer than sept and oct.  he can lift and run and play open gym anywhere.  i am sure Houston or wherever he is has some big time competitve open gyms.  My son trains at a gym that has DII, DIII, NAIA, Juco etc. kids there every day at 2pm. for open gym.
  To answer the question before it is posed, non D1 schools do not pay for summer calsses or dorms and therefore most of those kids return home for the summers.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »
Here's an interesting question:

It seemed to take frosh. a little while to get up to speed on TC's teams. He was notorious for having HUGE playbooks and running tons of sets. I can't remember if McNeal, James, and Matthews were on campus all summer, but I think they were. Lazar obviously wasn't, and it hurt him freshman year.

With Buzz, is it possible that players can ramp up faster with a more motion style offense? Obviously there is still a lot to learn and you have to adjust to the level of play. But, if Junior is playing against high level comp., his biggest adjustment will just be learning the playbook and getting to know his teammates.

If he gets on campus at the end of August, I would think he could learn the playbook and get comfortable with his teammates by November, right?

I think that's a good point but Junior will still take some time to get a feel for his teammates within a motion offense and we haven't begun to discuss learning defensive assignments.
If he were any other position than PG I wouldn't worry as much but the fact that he's going to need some time to get aquainted with not only the offense but even more importantly, his teammates and how they operate within the offense it will be a tough transition.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »
Check It:  MAJOR error in this guy's journalism (and/or fact-finding, copy/editor)!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9917528/Marquette-rebuilding-with-anonymous-group

There are a few holdovers from last year's group that might have gone a step or two further than the second round of the NCAA tournament had Dominic James not gone down with a serious knee injury early in the Big East slate.

No Respect!!!!

Even worse was spelling Otule's name with an apostrophe.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »
Even worse was spelling Otule's name with an apostrophe.

IDK,  I'd take misspelling of my name over mistaken body parts if you're talking about surgery though!  ;)  I did momentarily think "whoa, when did Chris become irish???"

feedback