[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Harbaugh's 50K Bathroom  (Read 3847 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Harbaugh's 50K Bathroom
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2009/08/harbaughs-private-bathroom-has-critics-at-stanford/1

Jim Harbaugh recently had a $50,000 private bathroom built for himself at Stanford.  Stanford's athletic department is in the middle of a financial crisis which makes the timing very interesting.  Jobs have been cut yet a 50K bathroom was installed. 

The old bathroom was 20 steps away.

muball

• Starter
Re: Harbaugh's 50K Bathroom
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
Creans ego may have rubbed off on him

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
Didn't a donor pay for this?

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »
Why are we supposed to care about this?

I thought I remember reading that Stanford has the third largest endowment in the country. With relaxed state rules on endowments, seems like the university can tap into that and come out of financial difficulty really fast.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:30:15 PM by MilTown »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2009/08/harbaughs-private-bathroom-has-critics-at-stanford/1

Jim Harbaugh recently had a $50,000 private bathroom built for himself at Stanford.  Stanford's athletic department is in the middle of a financial crisis which makes the timing very interesting.  Jobs have been cut yet a 50K bathroom was installed. 

The old bathroom was 20 steps away.

This made me laugh:  "The school is considering cutting fencing."

The arms race for athletic facilities is pathetic, donor funded or not.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »
Didn't a donor pay for this?

So is the toilet named after the donor?

Yes donor paid for it but the money couldn't have went towards something else?  Harbaugh was a tool for even asking for a 50K bathroom when the athletic department is bleeding money.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »
So is the toilet named after the donor?

Yes donor paid for it but the money couldn't have went towards something else?  Harbaugh was a tool for even asking for a 50K bathroom when the athletic department is bleeding money.

Well, I think it makes a huge difference.  The donor donated money for that purpose.  It's not like the donor said here is $50K, do whatever you want with it.  It's not like something else didn't get done or was more deserving of the money and it was chosen to be spent here.  If it was a pool of money or budgeted cash and chosen to be spent here, I would completely agree.  But since the money was donated for this purpose and this purpose only, I have much less of an issue with it.

Nowhere in the article does it state that a donation of $50K was given to the athletic department. It was money given directly for this purpose.  So if the bathroom wasn't built, it's not as if the athletic department would have an extra $50k lying around. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »
Sorry guys...this isn't surprising in the least. Jim Harbaugh has ALWAYS been an idiot.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »
Well, I think it makes a huge difference.  The donor donated money for that purpose.  It's not like the donor said here is $50K, do whatever you want with it.  It's not like something else didn't get done or was more deserving of the money and it was chosen to be spent here.  If it was a pool of money or budgeted cash and chosen to be spent here, I would completely agree.  But since the money was donated for this purpose and this purpose only, I have much less of an issue with it.

Nowhere in the article does it state that a donation of $50K was given to the athletic department. It was money given directly for this purpose.  So if the bathroom wasn't built, it's not as if the athletic department would have an extra $50k lying around. 

Right but Harbuagh asked for the bathroom.  The donor wouldn't have given the money unless Harbaugh asked for it.  My problem here is with Harbaugh.  When you school is hurting you don't ask for something as ridiculous as a 50K bathroom.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
Right but Harbuagh asked for the bathroom.  The donor wouldn't have given the money unless Harbaugh asked for it.  My problem here is with Harbaugh.  When you school is hurting you don't ask for something as ridiculous as a 50K bathroom.

Believe me TT, I get it and I'm mostly on your side on this.   Don't get me wrong, I think the ask is odd, etc.  It sounds like Harbaugh is a gov't bureaucrat. 

But I do think he did exactly what you're supposed to do and what organizations do all the time when they know they don't have the money for a pet project (which I'd categorize this as), they fund raise for it or get someone else to pay for it.  I think you hit the nail on the head at the end of your statement in that it seems more than foolish what the request was for....but I don't blame him for the process in which he went after it.  For whatever reason, he thought it was important, he didn't ask the department (or did and was denied) so he got the money elsewhere. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
I completely agree with you.  I don't fault the administration.  I don't fault the donor either since it's their money and they can do what they want with it (no matter how foolish I think it is).  I just think Harbaugh should make less ridicioulus requests especially at a time when programs are being cut.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
I completely agree with you.  I don't fault the administration.  I don't fault the donor either since it's their money and they can do what they want with it (no matter how foolish I think it is).  I just think Harbaugh should make less ridicioulus requests especially at a time when programs are being cut.

You best believe that. They had to lay off AD staff and programs are slated for cuts.

When they lose to San Jose State, they will be demanding his head on a silver platter!

GO SPARTANS!
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
You best believe that. They had to lay off AD staff and programs are slated for cuts.

When they lose to San Jose State, they will be demanding his head on a silver platter!

GO SPARTANS!

That's always an odd rivalry game.  I suspect USC will pummel them back to the stone age next week first.  If they get up from that punch, they always play Stanford tough.  It's too bad next year's game won't happen from my understanding.