Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: McNeal has a really good shot with the Kings  (Read 10641 times)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Re: McNeal has a really good shot with the Kings
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »
Out of curiosity, are the players in the NBA summer League compensated financially? 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
What street? You guys keep talking about McNeal as if he's in great demand. There is no market for him, especially on the Bulls

I appreciate Jerel's contributions to Marquette, but if he makes a roster this year it'll be a surprise. He certainly won't be getting significant minutes and would likely bounce back and forth between the NBA and the Developmental League. To put him on the Bulls as a replacement for Gordon or Hinrich is laughable and delusional.

The Street = Word around Tim Grover's ATTACK athletics facility in Chicago and Sam Smith's mailbag on Bulls.com.

No one, including myself, said he would be a replacement for Gordon or Hinrich. But there will be a roster spot open, and the Bulls could fill it with a FA signing like McNeal or another FA rather than take on a large contract.

Is that enough for you, or is my post still "laughable and delusional?" 
We Are Marquette

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 09:49:41 AM »
I'm a huge Bulls fan and I guess it would make sense to pick up a 1 year contract on a guy like McNeal or some other undrafted free agent.  Everyone wants to keep there payroll low with short term contracts for this upcoming year's Dwyane Wade bidding bonanza!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
The Street = Word around Tim Grover's ATTACK athletics facility in Chicago and Sam Smith's mailbag on Bulls.com.

No one, including myself, said he would be a replacement for Gordon or Hinrich. But there will be a roster spot open, and the Bulls could fill it with a FA signing like McNeal or another FA rather than take on a large contract.

Is that enough for you, or is my post still "laughable and delusional?" 

I just looked at Sam Smith's mailbag. Nowhere does it indicate even one iota of interest in McNeal.

Like I said, laughable and delusional.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »

Yup, just like you.
We Are Marquette

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 11:19:23 AM »
I just looked at Sam Smith's mailbag. Nowhere does it indicate even one iota of interest in McNeal.

Perhaps to say that McNeal has a distinct spot on any roster is out of the question.  

But to say that him getting a 10 day contract for an NBA team is not out of the question, especially with the economic strain right now and lower salary caps.

Jumping around from Development to the League would still be pretty cool for the guy and us as fans.  

I say good luck and keep working hard 'Rel.
Marquette University, Spring '08

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
Yup, just like you.

Please continue to post the "word" you get "around Tim Grover's ATTACK athletics facility."

Valuable information, it is.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »
Please continue to post the "word" you get "around Tim Grover's ATTACK athletics facility."

Valuable information, it is.

Feel free to come on over some time and work out and hoop with some guys who actually know the game and are involved in the league and don't just talk smack on a basketball message board.
We Are Marquette

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 08:37:56 PM »
PRN = Owned

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »
I was reading through the posts about work ethic and thought about Wade. TomW mentioned Wade's upcoming free agency but not his work ethic. I think the best player to ever come out of MU would say he learned a work ethic at MU. Any doubters?

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 12:49:48 AM »
Now how's that for dropping a name and having the same name come up in the news?!?!?!?   The Bulls just signed Jannero Pargo to a one year deal trying to replace the offence they're losing w/ Ben Gordon's departure.
Look to my earlier post about McNeal:
The most obvious place would be the Sacramento Kings, since he's playing for them this summer.  If not there, I could see him filling a somewhat Jannero Pargo like role in the NBA... popping up here and there for 6 years or so.  I wish him well!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-bulls070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Now how's that for foresight?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »
What foresight?  You said that McNeal could fill a Pargo-like role...and Pargo was signed by another team.  Foresight would be that McNeal actually fills that role, which he obviously hasn't done.

File this one under "coincidence."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
PRN = Owned

Not really.  PRN is annoying, but Avenue Commons seems to think that because he plays basketball at the "ATTACK athletics facility" that he has some inside scoop.  Calling PRN out onto the basketball court is just a childish response.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »

Not really.  PRN is annoying, but Avenue Commons seems to think that because he plays basketball at the "ATTACK athletics facility" that he has some inside scoop.  Calling PRN out onto the basketball court is just a childish response.

I read AC's post as the following, unchildish, response:

He didn't call PRN out onto the court, AC just suggested  that because of his time at ATTACK he actually has inside info as opposed to PRN simply spouting off 'facts,' rebuttals and insults on the internet.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 08:56:54 AM »
Sultan-  You're absolutely right... it is more of a coincidence than forsight.  And of all the NBA players for me to have mentioned, it's a pretty big coincidence. 

On another note, 10 day contracts are great opportunities for young players that were passed over.  That's how Pargo started out, and now he's making millions!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 09:54:33 AM »
Feel free to come on over some time and work out and hoop with some guys who actually know the game and are involved in the league and don't just talk smack on a basketball message board.

Unless Vinny Del Negro and John Paxson are working out there, nobody at the Tim Grover ATTACK facility know a damn thing about who the Bulls are interested in. I don't care if it's Derrick Rose, Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah themselves.

But keep on being impressed. And remember you're talking to 22 year olds.

If the Bulls were interested in an undersized 2 guard who is a poor ball handler, a below average shooter and a player who has regressed defensively to replace one of the best shooters in the NBA (Gordon) or one of the most valuable 6th men in the league at the end of the year (Hinrich) wouldn't they have signed him as a free agent?

I don't give a rat's ass what the "word" is over there. The word is wrong. It's not "inside info."

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »

I don't give a rat's ass what the "word" is over there. The word is wrong. It's not "inside info."

No, it is inside info. But unlike some on this board, I don't name drop and try to sound like a big shot. Hence, I tried to lead you to Sam Smith's mailbag where he mentioned Jerel and how SS brought it up to Bulls' brass and the fact that I got the info at Grover's gym.

What my understanding was is that the Bulls were interested in Jerel (among other FA guards, including the recently signed Pargo) who would not eat up a lot of cap room and could fill in cheaply in advance of the 2010 FA class. That's part of why Gordon wasn't even given an offer and let to go to Detroit for nothing. Hinrich, as has been widely reported, is being shopped. This will lead to two fewer guards on the Bulls next season.

Did it ever dawn on you that the Bulls mgmt. may have been interested in Jerel, but then Jerel joined the Kings' summer league team? Did it ever dawn on you that the interest is/was real but nothing more came of it than that and now Paxson and Gar Forman (who is the current Bulls GM, in case you want to start paying attention) signed Pargo, who plays THE EXACT SAME GAME AS JEREL?

Therefore, that's why I referred to it colloquially as "the word on the street." You're right, it's all just rumors in the end, but sources and context matter.

We Are Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the info on Gar Forman. What would I do without you. You'll notice I referenced "working out." If you've ever seen Gar Forman, you'd know it wouldn't apply to him. I'm well aware of his new "title," which carries about as much weight at the Bulls decision making table as Sam Smith's online column.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
Thanks for the info on Gar Forman. What would I do without you. You'll notice I referenced "working out." If you've ever seen Gar Forman, you'd know it wouldn't apply to him. I'm well aware of his new "title," which carries about as much weight at the Bulls decision making table as Sam Smith's online column.

100%. You are right. I am wrong. You are the winner. I am the loser. Enjoy your victory.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
We Are Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »
If Bulls trade Hinrich, they must get a guard in return somewhere. After losing Gordon and drafting two forwards, the only guards left are Derrick Rose and Anthony Roberson. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
The next guy that types McNeal, James, and Matthews are joining the Bulls roster since they are short of guards is an idiot.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »
If Bulls trade Hinrich, they must get a guard in return somewhere. After losing Gordon and drafting two forwards, the only guards left are Derrick Rose and Anthony Roberson. 

I bet McNeal not only makes the Bulls, he'll probably start!!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »
Out of curiosity, are the players in the NBA summer League compensated financially? 

(c) The only compensation that may be paid by a Team or any person or entity affiliated with a Team to a player participating in a summer basketball league is a reasonable expense allowance for: (1) meals, but no greater than that set forth in Article III, Section 2; (2) lodging; and (3) transportation to and from the player’s home to the site of the summer league, and to and from the site of the player’s lodging during the summer league to the site of summer-league-related activities. In addition, the Team may purchase a disability insurance policy for the player covering the term of the applicable summer league.
Ludum habemus.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 11:19:10 AM »
(3) transportation to and from the player’s home to the site of the summer league, and to and from the site of the player’s lodging during the summer league to the site of summer-league-related activities.

Bentley's for everyone  ;D

feedback