Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Open gym report  (Read 10023 times)

lurch91

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Open gym report
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »
I think players are expected to practice on their own or if needed in individual work outs - they just are not going to use team practice time.  e.g. not going to have 5 guys standing around watching another shoot free throws until the guy makes ten and then rotating to have another shoot them, etc.  

Even in the Old Gym, each player had his own basket to shoot free throws.  So they all shoot at the same time at different baskets.  No one would be standing around waiting for their turn.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:12:47 PM by lurch91 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »
Williams is a small forward.   If he can drive, shoot the perimeter shot and rebound I don't care if he doesn't have a low block game initially. 

+1 he never was a banger.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
Rosiak has been pretty busy lately...might have keyboard elbow from all the updates to the blog.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »
He's clearly got the skills to play the point, but should be a real handful at the 2 when put in positions to take advantage of his strengths. He'll play major minutes from the outset.

DJO also was the best tester of the newcomers; aside from his vertical he also posted a 3.11 25-yard dash and put up 185 pounds 12 times on the bench press. He also weighed in at 196.         

While everyone's talking about how most of the new guys need some time with Todd Smith - I'm still marveling at DJO's numbers (and apparent play).

Kid could be special - sounds like a great addition to the team, and a GREAT recruiting job by Buzz.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Not that I disagree with your general premises, or your appreciation for the new free throw rule at the end of scrimmages, but you do realize that last year's "no practicing free throws" year was the best Marquette shot, as far as team FT% goes, over the last 3 years? Oh, and Marquette shot better than its opponents last year as well, despite the "no practicing free throws" policy you are so hung up about.

Seems silly to beat a dead horse that, statistically speaking, might not be all that dead.

Yes, I do realize that.  Unfortunately at critical times in the games, we still missed more than we should have.  It's like watching Alex Rodriguez hit a bunch of home runs only to take a deeper look and find out how many are when the Yankees are already winning 10-0 or losing 10-0.   The free throw stats were good last year, but in some critical games (at critical times) they really hurt us.

I'm just glad they are putting these guys through this type of pressure, they should.  Call me old school, it frustrates the crap out of me how easy a shot it is and how easy it is to practice it.  If it's good enough for the best of the best coaches in this country to practice them with their teams, well I think there's something to be said about that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:13:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
During the NBA combine a couple years ago, didn't Kevin Durant only put up 185 once?  So maybe being able to bench press 185 18 times has little to do with how effective of a basketball player you will be.

Actually, I thought he failed to bench 185 once...

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »
He failed to lift 185..."Kevin Durant the Only Player Unable to Bench 185 Pounds." Durant, however, had a 7-4¾ wingspan, which ranked second among all prospects and measured a half-inch wider than Oden's wingspan.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3250056&page=1

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
+1 he never was a banger.
Wade, Matthews, McNeal and James were not affraid of contact inside the lane. I have not seen Williams play, but I do not like the report that he shys away form contact.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 03:02:35 PM »
I wonder if Williams'ss shying away from contact has much to do with his injury. He may not feel 100% on it and thinks that staying on the outside may be easier for him.

I'm excited about DJO. I think he's going to dominate early and often in games.

Looking forward to Tokoto and his play. Though undersized against these "men", I have a feeling the kid played well enough that his shot was dropping smoothly.

Todd...you are the best thing since frozen custard on a sweltering summer day. :)
SS Marquette

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 03:05:19 PM »
Wade, Matthews, McNeal and James were not affraid of contact inside the lane. I have not seen Williams play, but I do not like the report that he shys away form contact.

Wow, don't jump to any conclusions or anything...

God, why would Buzz recruit such a soft player. i wish they could all dive all over the floor like Brett Roseboro

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »

McNeal and Matthews were slashers... mostly.

James was a scoring PG

comparing them to a shooter isn't really fair.  EWill was brought in as a shooter/rebounder/shot blocker.

being a rebounder isn't always about banging around... and SF's shouldn't be down low getting posted up on.  I see him as playing in his position.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
Let's keep this in perspective...it's one day of open gym.  No need to flip out about anything. 

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
Let's keep this in perspective...it's one day of open gym.  No need to flip out about anything.  

I agree with hdog.  It sounds like this article is based on one initial day of pick-up basketball games at a gym.

I don't think based on one day of pick-up ball, that it's fair to be jumping to conclusions (e.g.,...The fact that he [Williams] does not want to bang inside reminds me of Blackledge and Bernard Toone. The fact that he shoots three pointers is another indication he does not want to go inside. The report on Williams was disappointing to me...).

Good grief...let's give these guys a day, or maybe 2 days, a week or maybe all the months combined prior to the first game.  Then let's see what the boys can do.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:03:33 PM by dbwarriors »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »
Let's keep this in perspective...it's one day of open gym.  No need to flip out about anything. 

Good Lord...thank you. We don't know what was going on. He could have twisted an ankle the day before. He could have been told to work on his shooting.

By the way, Steve Novak wasn't very fond of contact and he turned out OK. There is more than one way to play basketball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
I said I have not seen him play. I just did not like the report. some liked the report because he could shoot from the outside. That too is jumping to a conclusion.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
The player I was most interested in seeing was Williams. The fact that he does not want to bang inside reminds me of Blackledge and Bernard Toone. The fact that he shoots three pointers is another indication he does not want to go inside. The report on Williams was disappointing to me. I was more impressed with the fact that Roseborro, even though he had trouble with the physical play, did not back down.

Yeah - If Williams turns out to be another Bernard Toone, that sure would be bad.
   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
While everyone's talking about how most of the new guys need some time with Todd Smith - I'm still marveling at DJO's numbers (and apparent play).

Kid could be special - sounds like a great addition to the team, and a GREAT recruiting job by Buzz.

+1
I keep thinking that if Bill Self took the time to watch DJO play he must be pretty good!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein