collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Stadiums  (Read 21417 times)

drewm88

• All American
Baseball Stadiums
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
Just curious what parks people here have been to and what they think of them.

PLEASE keep the Wrigley sucks/Miller sucks arguments out of this thread.

My personal list:

Wrigley- Yes, in some ways it sucks. But the neighborhood location/surrounding area, the ivy, the scoreboard, the sign out front....I love it.

Miller- I like it. The biggest drawbacks IMO are the ridiculous roof problems, Bernie should be sliding into beer (I don't care if he's for kids, this is Wisconsin dammit), and you never feel outdoors there. I know the roof is useful sometimes, but baseball should be outdoors. And opening the roof and the walls doesn't give you a true outdoor feel. I like the tailgating.

Metrodome- Blah. The best part is that it always reminds me of watching us play Pitt/UK there. Excited to see their new one.

Chase Field- Reminds me a lot of Miller, to the point where I lost a bet assuming they had been designed by the same people. Cheap tickets (apparently cheapest in baseball on average). Solid, but nothing spectacular.

Coors Field- Very cool. Right downtown, easy access from the interstate, bars/grills surround it--most with real good specials. Went to a Thursday afternoon game there a few weeks ago, was surprised/impressed with the amount of people out and about well before the game. Nice stadium, very open air, great sight lines everywhere, every employee we spoke with was very helpful/polite/permissive (unlike Wrigley where they are very strict about where you can go). You can see the Rockies (the real ones) beyond the LF foul pole (looking from RF).

Dodger Stadium- A classic. I love how it's built into the hills, so you climb up to your deck before entering the stadium. Interesting food. Laid-back crowd, so opposing fans are friendly to each other.

EDIT: County Stadium- Meh. Not the greatest, but most of the MLB games I saw up until age 12 were there, so I have some good memories.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:28:08 AM by drewm88 »

reinko

• All American
Re: Baseball Stadiums
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
Miller Park- I'm from Milwaukee, so I am biased, but I like it a lot.  Every game I have been too, the view has been great, solid prices for beer and food, and tailgating is a huge plus.

Wrigley- Just went once, it was a bitter cold day, but still enjoyed it.  Very old school, great neighborhood.

Fenway- I live in Boston, and the first few times were great, but over time, this stadium looses charm.  Wicked expensive prices for tickets, food, and beer ($9 beers and $7 hot dogs), and a lot of the seats don't even face the field.  I will go if it is nice day, and can find the occasional cheap tickets BTW, if you haven't been to www.fansnap.com  it's a great site that searches a ton of online ticket retailers, kinda like kayak, but for tickets

Citi Field- Great new stadium for the Mets.  Views were great, comfortable seats, they did it right IMO.  I also heard the city finally seized all the chop shops that surround the stadium in flushing, and will be opening a bunch of bars and hotels

SkyDome- Forgettable

Jacobs Field- Went there when I was in middle school, but remember it as great place to see a ball game, and right in downtown which is nice

Old Yankee Stadium- one of my favorites I have been too.  Went to Monument Park beforehand, very nostalgic

Metrodome- Who cares...dump for a baseball game, but weird that greatest sporting event I have ever been to was held there (2003 MU win over Kentucky)

Trop in Tampa- Worst of them all

Turner Field- Got $1 walk up tickets for bleachers, I was pretty ripped when I went there and don't remember much, but I think it was a fun place to see a game.  I do remember the subway ride was more expensive than my game ticket

Nationals Park- Lots of fun, kinda in a random part of DC, but it looks like they are trying to build it up.  We bought the SRO tickets for the outfield, they have all these outdoor bars, great time

Camden Yards- Another one where I imbibed a bit too much beforehand, but saw a Sox/Birds games, lots of fun, great location, right where you want to be in Baltimore

I will say, out of all these places, Miller Park was the only one that allowed tail gating.  Grilling meat and drinking Miller Lites are too of my greatest talents, so I will give the nod to my hometown park on this one.   ;D

Ones I want to see, Coors, Safeco, AT&T, New Yankee, and Citizens in Philly

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:02 PM »
I'll start this out by saying that I am a Brewer fan.

1. Pac Bell (or whatever it is called now) - I got to go on a warm day, I love San Francisco and the views of the Bay are gorgeous. 

2. Busch Stadium - Beautiful.  Wonderful site lines right downtown.  I've been to one game there and I would love to return.

3. Miller Park - A little bias, but when it is near full it is a great atmosphere.  But it can be a graveyard and cold when emptier.  The location sucks too.  Sorry, but that should have been built downtown.

4. Wrigley - Nice atmosphere, but a little overated.  The newer parks listed above in SF and StL are much, much nicer.

5. Great American or whatever in Cincy - It was hot when I was there so it took away from the experience.

6. Comiskey Park.  Built before Camden Yards, it is a dull place in a real crappy neighborhood.

I've also been to old Yankee Stadium (when I was nine and don't remember it much), old Busch and Riverfront (both dull and lifeless) and County Stadium of course (nice park but showed it age early and was in the same bad location that Miller Park is in.)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »
A friend of mine went on what we started calling THE DEATHTOUR and visited all 30 parks last season.

Here's the blog he put together for the visits.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
Metrodome- Blah. The best part is that it always reminds me of watching us play Pitt/UK there. Excited to see their new one.

I can't believe those idiots are building an open air stadium.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I'm going to PNC park on Thursday for the first time

Here's my list

Dodger Stadium - nice considering how old it is, but you can get stabbed for wearing an opponent's jersey
Angels Stadium - love it since it was remodeled.
Candlestick Park (old Giants stadium) - freezing in the winter
Coors Field - Downtown, good spot
Ballpark of Arlington - out of the way a bit, hot and humid during the Summer
Milwaukee County Stadium (old Brewers stadium) - great memories
Jacobs Field - Downtown location makes it great
Municipal Stadium (old Indians stadium) - the mauseleum.  It was huge, I'd go to games where 5,000 people would be in that building which held about 85,000 or so.  Went to the last three games every played there
Wrigley Field - Love the size of it, no bad seat in the park
New Comiskey - Not a fan at all.  Poor design, upper tier feels like you could fall down the stairs and literally fall out of the stadium
Kaufmann Stadium (Royals) - nice ballpark, very underrated in my opinion
Busch Stadium (the old one) - cookie cutter stadium, very little personality but the location was great
Jack Murphy Stadium (old Padres ballpark) - never cared for it, basically a football stadium
Petco Field (new Padres park) - the left field area is cool, parking sucks (at least last time I was there)
Tropicana Field - BLOW IT UP NOW
Fulton County Stadium (old Braves park) - Glad they did blow it up

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
I'll just comment on Miller Park - Pshaw to the above comment that it should have been built downtown.   That would have eliminated tailgating, a major reason for many to attend.

I echo the other sentiment that Miller Park doesn't feel like an outdoor park.  Beside the gee-wiz feel of the amazing construction and better everything (bathrooms, concessions, etc), I much prefer the feel of watching a game at the old dump County Stadium.

Truth is, Miller Park (and all new stadiums) was constructed with one overriding concept: take more cash from fans.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:12:31 PM »
I'm going to PNC park on Thursday for the first time

Absolutely fantastic park, Chicos.  Went to a game there last year as I was moving from Chicago to DC.  It's too bad that team has been so bad, because the park is great.  Very open and situated right on the rivers.  Beautiful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »
I'll just comment on Miller Park - Pshaw to the above comment that it should have been built downtown.   That would have eliminated tailgating, a major reason for many to attend.

I echo the other sentiment that Miller Park doesn't feel like an outdoor park.  Beside the gee-wiz feel of the amazing construction and better everything (bathrooms, concessions, etc), I much prefer the feel of watching a game at the old dump County Stadium.

Truth is, Miller Park (and all new stadiums) was constructed with one overriding concept: take more cash from fans.

+1.  I wouldn't trade tailgating before games for anything, it's what makes games fun in Wisconsin.  Also agree that while the construction is impressive, the Park just has too much steel and often feels like being in a giant warehouse, even with the roof open.   

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 09:29:10 AM »
Just curious what parks people here have been to and what they think of them.

Miller- I like it. The biggest drawbacks IMO are the ridiculous roof problems, Bernie should be sliding into beer (I don't care if he's for kids, this is Wisconsin dammit), and you never feel outdoors there. I know the roof is useful sometimes, but baseball should be outdoors. And opening the roof and the walls doesn't give you a true outdoor feel. I like the tailgating.

Kalihari Sponsors his slide now. I really miss the old Ski Lodge slide into a beer mug

A lot of hate for Tropicana too.  I was there last september and I thought from the outside it looked nice (plus parking is free for 5 people or more) problem is:  It may be the worst located park in the MLB the stadium is on the southern tip of an island/pennisula in St. Petersburg -30 mins outside of downtown tampa-.  Once you get there the stadium looks nice from the outside, but there is no where to tailgate in the parking lot. In the stadium there are huge sections of seats in the upper deck behind home plate that are tarped off. I will say this though: the lower level is all one tear so we got great seats along the third base line by the foul pole for rather cheap with a great view.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:41 AM »

Dodger Stadium - nice considering how old it is, but you can get stabbed for wearing an opponent's jersey

Interesting. I obviously had a different experience. I was there in my Cubs gear. Everyone around me was nice about it. Talked to an usher and some season ticket holders who said that the fans there don't really mind opposing fans, but I'll defer to the guy who lives there.

Also, don't know if it was a coincidence, but there were tons of opposing fans at Coors. It was about 50% Rockies gear and 50% others. We counted 15 different teams represented at a game with very low attendance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »

The reason cities have an incentive to build new ballparks is because of the economic activity it brings to a community.  You negate that when you build it right off an interstate and have people truck in their own food.  I think it would have been much, much smarter for the city to build near downtown and have the economic vitality that comes with it.  And IMO, the attendance figures would have been about what they are now.

I know the timing didn't work, but it would have been perfect right where the Park East Freeway was - the stadium would have opened up to downtown.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »

The reason cities have an incentive to build new ballparks is because of the economic activity it brings to a community.  You negate that when you build it right off an interstate and have people truck in their own food.  I think it would have been much, much smarter for the city to build near downtown and have the economic vitality that comes with it.  And IMO, the attendance figures would have been about what they are now.

I know the timing didn't work, but it would have been perfect right where the Park East Freeway was - the stadium would have opened up to downtown.

If you don't let people bring in their own food at a Brewer game, a lot of people just won't go.  Tailgating is a way of life for Wisconsinites and Brewer fans, for many it's the whole reason to actually go to a game.  Taking that away would be a huge mistake.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
If you don't let people bring in their own food at a Brewer game, a lot of people just won't go.  Tailgating is a way of life for Wisconsinites and Brewer fans, for many it's the whole reason to actually go to a game.  Taking that away would be a huge mistake.
There are many fans who go just for the tailgate experience and NEVER make it into the game.  They just listen to the game on the radio and spend the day people watching and tailgating.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
The newer parks are all beautiful. Saw a game at CitiField three weeks ago and was very impressed. Philly's park is gorgeous, probably the nicest I've been to. PNC Park is probably second, CitiField third and Progressive Field fourth.
Of the old parks, the Polo Grounds was No. 1 for me.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
1. AT&T Park-Great setting, probably the best in baseball. Easy to get to in the city, very enjoyable atmosphere.Garlic fries are outsanding.

1A. PNC Park-Too difficult to choose between PNC and AT&T. A gem of a stadium in an underrated city to visit. Tickets very inexpensive compared to other ballparks, a real steal.

2. Oriole Park-Really an experience to take in. Outside of The Cell, my favorite park to just walk around and take in the game from different vantage points.

3. Comerica Park-Most underrated of the newer parks. I love this park, sightlines are very nice, lots to see outside of the game itself. Food is a bit of a downer (lots of Little Caesars), but this place is worth a visit.

4. Dodger Stadium-People mention Wrigley and Fenway as must places to visit, but I'd throw Dodger Stadium in there. Very unique, between the tiers of seating, to the hill the stadium is built into.

5. The Cell-People who underrate the place don't know how to really enjoy it. If you go, sit in the outfield and enjoy great sightlines and some of the best concession food in baseball. If you have kids, they'll love the place. The renovations have only improved the place more.

5A. Miller Park-Just a fun experience all around. Easy to get to, probably better location than if it were right downtown. Truly a Milwaukee experience, and the food/entertainment at the game make it a unique ballpark.

6. Coors Field-Nice place, maybe a tad disappointing to me. Ballpark itself is huge, settled in nicely into downtown Denver. Nothing terrible about it other than the gift shop, but after going to other new ballparks, a bit underwhelming.

7. Jacobs Field-Not a huge fan of this place. Having all the skyboxes on one side of the park throws things off. Much steeper sightlines than I had anticipated. It's not bad, just not going to blow you away.

8. Wrigley-A cool place to go once or twice. Sightlines are average at best, you're almost better in the upper deck than terrace reserved downstairs if you want to enjoy the game. Certainly is a "must" if you're a baseball fan. I'd recommend going to it now before it changes in the next 5 years.

8A. Fenway-Fun and interesting to go to once. Absolute worst seating in baseball, bar none. Better off eating out on Yawkey than inside Fenway.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:03:37 PM by MUDish »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »

Bottom line .. Wisconsinites are cheap.  There's already a perception (and a reality) that going to a baseball game is very expensive.  You remove tailgating, then make people go to bars/restaurants around a downtown stadium to spend even more?  Attendance would have gone down.

Add in the fact that .. while the BC can handle 19,000 people and their cars .. where the hell would 42,000 people's cars go if a baseball park was down town?  Parking cost downtown would have been 3x-5x the cost.

Blah, blah, blah.  This was debated 8 whatever years ago.  Guess which location won the debate?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 05:30:53 PM »
There are many fans who go just for the tailgate experience and NEVER make it into the game.  They just listen to the game on the radio and spend the day people watching and tailgating.

That's not a good thing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
Bottom line .. Wisconsinites are cheap.  There's already a perception (and a reality) that going to a baseball game is very expensive.  You remove tailgating, then make people go to bars/restaurants around a downtown stadium to spend even more?  Attendance would have gone down.

Add in the fact that .. while the BC can handle 19,000 people and their cars .. where the hell would 42,000 people's cars go if a baseball park was down town?  Parking cost downtown would have been 3x-5x the cost.

Blah, blah, blah.  This was debated 8 whatever years ago.  Guess which location won the debate?

I know which location won the debate, but that IMO is more an indication of the myopic thinking that goes on in Milwaukee more than anything.  Every other city that has built a new ballpark has found ways to park people and to get them to the ballpark.  Most of them have used the stadium to reinvigorate neighborhoods that needed some help.  Milwaukee built theirs to suit the cheap, Wisconsin tailgater. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »
Actually Miller Park was built in no man's land because Bud Selig wanted it there. In fact, he said it wouldn't be built if it had to be put downtown. What new development has come up around Miller Park since it opened? That's right, zero.

Tailgating didn't factor into Bud's decision, however. $$$ did. At it's present location, Selig had a captive audience for the both the purchase of parking and food and beverage. With a downtown location, fans could both park and eat elsewhere, nearby benefiting far more than the Brewers' ownership, but taking dollars out of their pockets.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »

I know which location won the debate, but that IMO is more an indication of the myopic thinking that goes on in Milwaukee more than anything.  Every other city that has built a new ballpark has found ways to park people and to get them to the ballpark.  Most of them have used the stadium to reinvigorate neighborhoods that needed some help.  Milwaukee built theirs to suit the cheap, Wisconsin tailgater.  

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

A) tailgating without going to the game is fun for the experience now and again. You gotta have a quality tailgate with the finest potato salads to make it really worth while. Besides, the game sometimes cuts into my drinking. I remember days of cutting out on the brewer game if it was boring to go sit and listen to the packer games on the radio and re-fire up the grill.

B) clearly you've never been around the south side of miller park. There has been a boom in development, a lot of standard strip mall like places, but it's still a vast improvement over what it was. -There is even a sonic now

C) I don't think it would matter too much if was put downtown vs where it is now. Ever been to water street/3rd after a game? there are a ton of people in brewers gear downtown. If people want to go out before/after a game they do. My only complaint about where it is, is the freeway that divides a section of parking lot.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »
don't forget about all the local bars that have shuttles before and after the game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 11:54:55 PM »
Absolutely fantastic park, Chicos.  Went to a game there last year as I was moving from Chicago to DC.  It's too bad that team has been so bad, because the park is great.  Very open and situated right on the rivers.  Beautiful.

I'm really looking forward to it (PNC)....later that night I'm going to game 4 of the Stanley Cup.  I just pray the Penguins win game 3 or that building is going to be lethargic.  I want the Pens to win game 3 and crowd insane for game 4.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »
One of the nice little known things about Wrigley is that you can bring any wrapped food and sealed drinks into the stadium to cut down on cost.  If you want to save money grab a burger or some tacos nearby and bring them in the stadium to eat.

I'd love to go see AT&T and PNC Park but until then my thoughts on some of the places I've been:

Wrigley Field - Obviously inside the corridors, the stadium is worn down due to its age but once you get inside the seating area it has to be one of the best looking parks in the majors.  Again because of it's age, there are several columns in the way supporting the upper deck so your best bet is the lower rows of the upper deck or out in the bleachers.  This is why they should leave the newly remodeled bleachers and tear down the grandstands for reconstruction.  Outside the park you have a neighborhood feel which is great.  There's even a firestation across the street which always has it's doors open.

Minute Maid Park - Minute Maid Park would be my favorite park if not for the ridiculous advertisements everywhere.  The worst is the giant "Eat More Fowl" signs on the foul poles.  But if you take away the ad's on almost every facade of the ballpark it is incredible.  If you are going to a game on a hot summer day you might want to bring a jacket though as the AC in that place makes it pretty chilly.  They usually open the roof once the sun sets though and all that money spent cooling the place fades away. A lot of people don't like the hill in center but I think its a unique quirk.  Also the nachos in the place can't be topped.  They are similar to the Cactus League Nachos at Miller Park but somehow 10 times greater.

Miller Park - I like Miller Park a lot but wish they would dress up the back wall that opens and closes. It's an eyesore when traveling North on 41.  I'd recommend making the walls glass so you can see inside the stadium similar to Minute Maid Park.  Aside from that Miller Park is a great place to watch a game as there isn't a bad seat in the house barring the Uecker seats.  

Comiskey Park - The place started out just another cookie stadium but they have really done a nice job remodeling the place.  I hate the White Sox but kudos to your stadium.  

Old Busch Stadium - When I went to the game it was a hot summer day when they had the astroturf field.  It was a pretty cool enviroment but it was just another cookie cutter stadium.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 01:13:32 AM »
I am a season Ticket holder and that's B.S. about being stabbed at Dodger Stadium if your wearing other gear. that happened one time. We even let Giant fans leave alive.

easily 80% of fans at a Dodger game are wearing team gear. Any other parks come close?