[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UW vs. MU Admission/Academic Standards  (Read 6877 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: UW vs. MU Admission/Academic Standards
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »
While I was googling in an attempt to find something to back up my claim, I found the Trib's coverage of Fr. Wild's state of the university address from February.  17K+ applications, not the 14K I said.  Fr. Wild also said that the university was expecting a class of 1900+, so I am efforting follow up from my wife.  :D
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mugrad99

• Team Captain
did someone say free money?
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
Marquette's own:

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »
While I was googling in an attempt to find something to back up my claim, I found the Trib's coverage of Fr. Wild's state of the university address from February.  17K+ applications, not the 14K I said.  Fr. Wild also said that the university was expecting a class of 1900+, so I am efforting follow up from my wife.  :D

Part of the issue that makes it so difficult to compare these numbers is that the Common Application, and the fact that it is free to submit, means that private schools have become inundated with applications.  I am pretty sure every similar school has seen growth over the last five years - is MU's growth above and beyond the norm?  My guess is that it is...but don't know for sure.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 09:54:04 AM »

Part of the issue that makes it so difficult to compare these numbers is that the Common Application, and the fact that it is free to submit, means that private schools have become inundated with applications.  I am pretty sure every similar school has seen growth over the last five years - is MU's growth above and beyond the norm?  My guess is that it is...but don't know for sure.

Back in my day, every application was different, they typically had to be hand-written or typed, and there was a fairly substantial fee for each application (I want to say $30 or $40, but I honestly don't recall).  At least for me, that limited my applications a lot (just two schools).  Being involved in the MU Alumni club here and dealing with recruiting/admissions, I know that this has totally changed.  It really is not surprising that applications are way up.

Now you kids get the hell off my lawn.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »
same, but I applied in 2000... so the process is pretty new.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
It was actually the MU Alumni email newsletter that my wife got the 1900+ deposits number from.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »
It was actually the MU Alumni email newsletter that my wife got the 1900+ deposits number from.

Looking at it right now:

"More than 1,900 students and their families have made deposits to reserve spots in this fall's freshman class, exceeding the university expectations of enrolling a class of 1,850 students."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »

Looking at it right now:

"More than 1,900 students and their families have made deposits to reserve spots in this fall's freshman class, exceeding the university expectations of enrolling a class of 1,850 students."

Don't forget to factor in the more wealthy families that will send multiple tuition deposits to different schools.  It's tough to gauge, but I remember conversations with admissions staff at MU about the # of no-shows at Orientation and tt's usually in the dozens.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »

Part of the issue that makes it so difficult to compare these numbers is that the Common Application, and the fact that it is free to submit, means that private schools have become inundated with applications. 

The Common App is not free to submit.  Schools can still force you to pay an application fee and many of them do.  They only reason I would see Common App significantly boosting private school applications is because you only have to fill it out once and can send it to multiple schools.  I suppose some students are more likely to pay a fee to send their common app to school X than to fill out and application and pay a fee to apply to school X.  I would venture, however, that this trend is not very significant.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »
Don't forget to factor in the more wealthy families that will send multiple tuition deposits to different schools.  It's tough to gauge, but I remember conversations with admissions staff at MU about the # of no-shows at Orientation and tt's usually in the dozens.

This is true.  In the year LancesOtherNut was talking about, with freshmen staying in the Ambassador Inn for a while, everyone was moved to a MU Res Hall by the end of the first semester.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »

This is why orientations are now in June versus a handful of days before school starts. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »
This is why orientations are now in June versus a handful of days before school starts. 

That's Preview.  Freshmen still move into the res halls the Wednesday before classes start for Orientation.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »
That's Preview.  Freshmen still move into the res halls the Wednesday before classes start for Orientation.

Ah...thanks.  Back in the day we didn't have Preview.