'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Did McNeal charge?  (Read 9343 times)

SPL

• Walk-On
Did McNeal charge?
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:50:54 PM »
For those who saw the game, was McNeal's buzzer beater a clean bucket? I saw the highlights on U-tube, and although it looked to me like McNeal scored cleanly, the video was a bit grainy so I wasn't positive. Didn't seem like USF protested, though.

Any thoughts?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Did McNeal charge?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:12:07 PM »
moved from superbar to here where it is definitely on topic.

not sure what you mean by a "clean bucket"?  Are you asking if he got the shot off in time or if it actually went in at all or if it was tipped in after the buzzer or.........?

edit - duh... just read the topic title LOL - my response is that it could probably have been called a charge if the refs wanted to call a tight game but even when they are calling the game tight they USUALLY do not make such calls at the last second unless it is blatant (which this definitely wasn't).  good non-call, and yes, I am partly just saying that because it results in our favor LOL
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:15:28 PM by spiral97 »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »
sorry for the double.. just as I posted the previous response, I looked up and saw sportscenter was showing the mu/usf game highlights (!!!!).  showed a USF alley oop and then a play with DJ driving under the basket to give a backwards heave of the ball into the hoop.. then they finished it with the mcneal steal, drive, and shot.  MUCH clearer on my new 50" HD plasma TV than on the web feed  ;D  so I reversed it through my tivo and replayed it several times in slow motion.. still saying good non-call.. if I HAD to make a call I'd say blocking.. the defender still had his foot moving to his plant spot a split second before mcneal started his pullup and when they made contact the defender's knees were still significantly bent although were definitely in the process of straightening out - verdict, the defender hadn't quite established his position and was still in the process of moving.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:28:04 PM »
going after the vaunted triple post  :P

rewatching the sportscenter recap again in slow motion... this time in regards to whether he should have passed to DJ.. I believe his best bet was to keep the ball and shoot it himself like he did... another defender (#21) was running down the court about a foot behind the path he would have had to pass the ball through - very favorable for that defender to get a deflection on it and screw up the play.  Plus, a split second later that defender was between DJ and the hoop.

McNeal made the right call all the way around from the time he told DJ in the huddle to press hard.  He is definitely a player who wants the rock when the game is on the line as well... sign of a great team leader.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:29:38 PM »
Hmm, I just saw the highlight on sportscenter (and watched it several times too), and was pretty convinced it may have been a charge, but didn't get called because the refs:
a) swallowed their whistles - not entirely out of the question late in games
and
b) weren't in a position to make the charge call since McNeal was flying down the court

I'm recording college game night now.  I'll see if I can post the highlight later (if they play it again).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »
Agreed that he made the right call in not passing.  Worst case they call the charge and the game goes to OT.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:04:40 AM »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:25:41 AM »
Saw the replay on College Gamenight.  McNeal kinda veered off to the side and did not plow into the defender.  They never call that a charge unless Coach K is involved.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 07:56:28 AM »
It was very close, and that was my first reaction watching it.  It didn't help matters that McNeal HAD been called for a couple of charges already in the game.  To me it was a toss-up, and I was actually quite surprised that the USF players and coaches didn't argue about it, because I know I was certainly looking for the ref.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 08:43:34 AM »
What confused me is why the defender went for the charge rather than attack the ball and go for the block.  Worst case, he fouls McNeal and puts him on the line.  Unless, though, he would have made significant contact or collapsed his arms over McNeal, it is unlikely a foul is called (Higgins and Burr sat this one out).

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »
That was a great no call. I think in a normal game situation, that gets called a charge everytime. The only thing I couldn't see from the video is where the defender was in relation to the rim. It looked like he may have been inside the circle. I don't think college has the same rule as the NBA, but I think college refs typically won't call the charge if a defender is under or near the rim.

Any ref that has worked a MU game this year, knows that McNeal is prone to the offensive foul and will look for it during the game. I am so happy Burr wasn't calling this game. We would have been in OT for sure.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 09:08:53 AM »
I over analyzed it too. Yay for Tivo.

The defender was not set before McNeal left his feet, and you have to give the shooter a place to land. Not to mention, the defender wasn't even close to being straight up and down.

I wouldn't even call it a "no call" since that sounds like a call should have been made. It was simply a great play by McNeal...
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 09:23:28 AM »
It wasn't called, so no he didn't.

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 09:27:09 AM »
Checkout the final play below...

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 09:30:38 AM »
Tigidal: is there any way to get that clip in a file that I could download and watch it a little slower? thanks!

(is that the SC clip?)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »
Great no-call... defender was leaning forward and was very deep. Not a lot of contact either. End of game or not, I probably would have done the same thing as the refs.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 09:36:28 AM »
The clip can be downloaded from the link in my earlier post...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=1470.msg10467#msg10467

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 09:48:55 AM »
Tigidal: is there any way to get that clip in a file that I could download and watch it a little slower? thanks!

(is that the SC clip?)

Best way to watch it slower/exact frame by frame is .wmv file rocky_warrior posted.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
Agreed that he made the right call in not passing.  Worst case they call the charge and the game goes to OT.

The pass looked like the easier play, but in McNeal's post game interview, he said he was worried about the turnover so he kept it himself.  I'd always rather have a player making a play he's confident in versus the "right" play.  Nicely done McNeal.