[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644757 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
Anyone else a fan of Kilkenny? Can't get it here in the US, but it's available nearly everywhere else in the world.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2009, 01:21:12 PM »
Anyone else a fan of Kilkenny? Can't get it here in the US, but it's available nearly everywhere else in the world.

I enjoyed it when I was over in Ireland but had more Smithwick's with Guiness head than anything. That was a long few years waiting for Smithwick's to get to the states.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2009, 01:39:32 AM »
Any other beers you would compare to the 1554?  I have had a lot of Belgian beers, but can't remember any of them being referred to as a Black Ale.

Honestly....no.  I attended a New Belgium tasting event in Boulder a couple years ago, and got the very interesting story on it.  The "Belgium black" is a recipe that they had heard of, but didn't know how to brew.  They took a trip to Belgium, lied to a few librarians, and eventually found out how to brew it from some text of the city market from the year 1554!  It had disappeared for a few centuries!  Here's the story on their website, which doesn't include the lying to librarians part :)

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/1554

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2009, 11:11:56 AM »
Tried a few at Sugar Maple last night.

Central Waters Honey Blonde- Solid Cream Ale, very smooth. Subtle honey with a malty taste. I could drink this again, very drinkable beer.

Rogue Chocolate Stout- Outstanding. Beer of the night for me. Pours a thin cinnamon colored head, and has a strong chocolate aroma, which makes you think you'll be drinking a candy bar. Very balanced chocolate flavor with the traditional stout flavors. A subtle sweetness from the chocolate is there. This beer gets better as it warms as well.  Had it on tap, it's available at Blatz Liquor in Milwaukee in 22 oz bombers.

Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA- Saw this on the list and had to try it after hearing some great things. If IPA's are your thing, this is a perfect beer. Pours a great copper color with a good head. Strong citrus aroma, and a very hoppy taste with a nice bitter finish. One of the better IPA's I've had.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »
Bells Two Hearted – a staple in my fridge.

Hell yeah!

Add Riverwest Stein as an accessable tap.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
Built a six pack of Rogue Dead Guy and 5 beers I haven't had yet.

Left Hand Milk Stout- Saw this mentioned early in the thread, very smooth, tasty stout. Subtle sweet chocolate flavor with the traditional roasted malts. Overall a good stout to add to the rotation.

New Glarus Alt- Very unique beer. Pours an amber color with a solid head that stays with the beer. Very malty, with some oak and vanilla flavors that come out more as the beer warms. Full flavored, and deceptively heavy. New Glarus put an interesting twist on the style. One that I'm glad I tried before it goes away.

Magic Hat #9- Pale ale with apricot, which comes through right away in the aroma. I actually really like this one as a summer beer. Light and very easy to drink. Has a nice clean finish, which isn't the easiest in a fruity beer. But I can definitely see how pale ale fans would want more hops out of this one.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout- Pretty decent stout, nothing really to write home about. Could do worse, but there are a lot of other stouts that are better.

Dogfish Head 60 min IPA- This one took me by surprise. Seeing IPA I thought it would be more citrusy with the hops. Instead, it drank more like a traditional pale ale. Interesting, and pretty good. I'd drink it again, but if I were going for an IPA I'd go Two Hearted or Racer 5.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:45:24 PM by MUfan12 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
So I'm sitting here watching the ballgame with my first Dancing Man Wheat of the season, and figured it was time to revive this thread!

Anyone had the New Belgium stuff yet? I know its new to WI, and many have had Fat Tire, but I was curious as to other people's thoughts.

I'd never had any New Belgium stuff, but bought some 22 oz. bombers of each when they were released. I loved the Fat Tire, it's one of the best, if not the best Amber I've had. It's not their best beer though.

Really liked the Mothership Wit, that could be a summer staple for me. Light, very carbonated, but drinkable with a strong citrus flavor. Yet it avoids stepping into the "orange juice and beer" trap that some other Belgian Wheats fall into. My favorite was the 1554 by a long shot. Great Belgian dark ale, had a strong roasted malt flavor, but was balanced by some sweetness and a hint of cocoa. Very drinkable for how complex it is.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »
I had the dancing man recently. not my choice actually. It has a strong flavor but not anything I like. I can't totally remember what it was but it wasn't that great IMO.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »
Recently went to Colorado and tried a handful of stuff I'd never had before. Most was mediocre at best.

Don't bother with the Breckenridge Brewery at all. Got a sampler pack of their signature Avalanche Ale (red), IPA, Agave Wheat, and Vanilla Porter. Avalanche and IPA were as generic as those two types can get, the porter was decent, and the best was the wheat, which was solid, not special. Overall, a disappointment.

Also had O'dell's Easy Street Wheat. Again, disappointment. Average tasting.

Had what according to the waitress was New Belgium's seasonal wheat, but the name she gave us is not on their website (nor do they claim a seasonal wheat), so I'm not sure what it really was. Either way, it was merely decent.

Brought home a 6 pack of Boulder's Singletrack Copper Ale. That stuff is good. Not spectacular, but by far the best of the 7 CO beers I tried.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2009, 11:58:59 AM »
sobelman's now carries more exclusive beers like a few I had at VOX up around north ave or at The Abby. I can't remember the name I think it was Magic Gumball er something (a good beer whatever the name but tough to drink more than a few in one sitting). Another one they added was a 24?oz Tall Boy That Tom Crean's Tanning Bed was telling me about last week.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »
sobelman's now carries more exclusive beers like a few I had at VOX up around north ave or at The Abby. I can't remember the name I think it was Magic Gumball er something (a good beer whatever the name but tough to drink more than a few in one sitting). Another one they added was a 24?oz Tall Boy That Tom Crean's Tanning Bed was telling me about last week.

Magic Hat? I know I have been seeing Magic Hat #9 around lately on tap. Great beer.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:52 PM »
yes magic hat!

I swear there was a gumball one too

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2009, 12:28:39 PM »
recently tried beers

1554 - not sure who recommended it, but it was sub par.  sorry.
Ale Asylum Ballistic - more taste than Hoppilicious, but the differences were mild at best.
Left hand Brewery Milk Stout - great, much better than I expected.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »
recently tried beers
1554 - not sure who recommended it, but it was sub par.  sorry.

Damn you...blasphemy! 

Nah - I don't expect everyone to like the same beers - otherwise we wouldn't have all these wonderful beers to try.  Glad you like the milk stout though - if you ever get a chance to try it on tap - it's even better!

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »
Bell's Oberon is a great summer brew.  I have heard that it is better with a slice of orange although I haven't tried it yet.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »
Bell's Oberon is a great summer brew.  I have heard that it is better with a slice of orange although I haven't tried it yet.

You don't fruit the beer.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
agreed...

the 1554 was just nothing spectacular... Honestly, I thought it tasted a lot like a milder version of my home brewed Russian Imperial Stout.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »
Big fan of anything Bells, including Oberon (sans orange). If you enjoy the milk stouts, you should try Bells Double Cream Stout. Very good beer.

I just recently tried Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. Very solid. 

Anyone have any recomendations for Oatmeal Stouts? I'm impartial to Samuel Smith and Goose Island, but I would love to expand my horizons as they say.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »

Let me translate for Ari, ye of developing beer tastes:

1)  Magic Gumball=Three Floyd's Gumballhead.  White ale infused with hops.  Kind of a cross between Lakefront White and an IPA.
2)  The 24 oz. Tall Boy=New Belgium Fat Tire.  Only sold/served out of 22 oz. bottles.  Medium ale, exceptionally smooth. 
The General has taken on a new command.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
Anyone have any recomendations for Oatmeal Stouts? I'm impartial to Samuel Smith and Goose Island, but I would love to expand my horizons as they say.

For a straight Oatmeal Stout, Breckenridge makes a pretty good one. If you like some coffee and chocolate with your oatmeal, try Founder's Breakfast Stout (one of my favorites).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »
Big fan of anything Bells, including Oberon (sans orange). If you enjoy the milk stouts, you should try Bells Double Cream Stout. Very good beer.

I just recently tried Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. Very solid. 

I prefer Lake Louie Milk Stout to any other I have tried. :)

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2009, 04:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the information. Looks like I'm heading to Binny's tonight after work!

Chili

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
Let me translate for Ari, ye of developing beer tastes:

1)  Magic Gumball=Three Floyd's Gumballhead.  White ale infused with hops.  Kind of a cross between Lakefront White and an IPA.
2)  The 24 oz. Tall Boy=New Belgium Fat Tire.  Only sold/served out of 22 oz. bottles.  Medium ale, exceptionally smooth. 

Gumball is more of an APA than IPA. More citrus hops than bittering. Hense it is part of the American Pale Wheat Ale class. And it is damn fine beer to drink a lot of.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »
Gumball is more of an APA than IPA. More citrus hops than bittering. Hense it is part of the American Pale Wheat Ale class. And it is damn fine beer to drink a lot of.

Thanks for clarifying.  Heard the APA term tossed around before, but couldn't remember it at that particular moment.

And yes, it's one of the finest beers out there without a doubt.
The General has taken on a new command.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2009, 06:37:33 PM »
Had what according to the waitress was New Belgium's seasonal wheat, but the name she gave us is not on their website (nor do they claim a seasonal wheat), so I'm not sure what it really was. Either way, it was merely decent.

Was it the Skinny Dip? I had a case, or two, of that last summer. I dont remember if it was their summer or spring seasonal. I think it was the summer. It was good not mind blowing great, but i did like it more than their winter seasonal 2 below.

New Belgium's other beers that are great: Mothership Wit, Blue Paddle and sunset wheat.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

feedback