[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644744 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »
Get that Shandy crap off this board...might as well be drinking Berry Weiss.

New Glarus puts out some great beers every year. Besides their usually great beers (Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Totally Naked)....check out Stone Soup, Uffda Bock, Crack'd Wheat, and Hearty Hop IPA

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
Really looking forward to New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat in May.

Finally got a hold of Three Floyd's Gumballhead via some "interstate commerce." Phenomenal. In fact, I'm enjoying one right now. I have a feeling I'll be stocking up on this as the summer goes on. Props to those who recommended this one!

Had a few new brews this week. Had the Belgian White from Horny Goat Brewing Co. Pretty run of the mill, decent Witbier. Not as sweet as others in this style, which was a plus in my book.

A friend of mine picked up a sampler pack from Abita Brewing Co. out of Louisiana. Had the Turbodog, which was their English Brown Ale. Similar to a Newcastle, but much more complex and full-flavored. Had their Amber, which was pretty average, nothing terribly special about it compared to other Ambers.

Also had Abita Purple Haze, a Raspberry Wheat. For a fruit beer, it's very good. Think Berry Weiss, except good. Pours a golden color, the tartness and flavor of the Raspberry are there, but it's very balanced. Great summer beer. I'll be looking for some more of this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
The Dancing Man is great, but it is dangerous.

As for the Horny Goat... were you at the Brewers/Cubs game on Sunday?  They were giving out free tastes of it then...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 11:28:12 AM »
Breckenridge Porter is tasty.   Vanilla, enough to soften the porter and actually leave a slight aftertaste. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123976316293519743.html

Make sure to snatch up any Oregon Microbrews now before they either disappear or cost too much to make it worth drinking.

Sadness...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:44:32 AM by Ari Gold »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »

the one and only - Three Floyds Dreadnaught

& Romans is supposed to have it on tap next week...

http://www.romanspub.com/beersel.htm

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »
Dreadnaught is unnatural carnal knowledgeing amazing IPA but watch out or it will kick you square in the dick. I have a case of Gumball Head coming up for the NFL draft next Sunday which is pretty tits if you ask me. I think I am still drunk from last night. Time to go golfing.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »
the one and only - Three Floyds Dreadnaught

& Romans is supposed to have it on tap next week...

http://www.romanspub.com/beersel.htm

Hooligan's has Alpha King on tap. Had some last night while watching the Brewers game. Very tasty.

wfboy

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »
 :)
Carlsberg on tap is mother's milk!

WalterSobchak

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »

I'm a fan.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. I think they refer to this as an Imperial Stout. This stuff is high octane and complex, a sipper for sure. It's a seasonal and probably hard to find on tap, but you will find bottles floating around at bars around chicago and for sale at Binny's and Sam's. You can age for about 5 years too.

Haven't tried that. Thanks for the head's up.

I'm a big fan of 312s and the Goose Island seasonal brews.
We Are Marquette

Chili

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
Haven't tried that. Thanks for the head's up.

I'm a big fan of 312s and the Goose Island seasonal brews.

Goose Island is Budweiser now. A macro micro.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:31 PM »
+1 Great Lakes.  ;)

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
It's still Goose Island. From what I remember Anheuser Busch bought about 30-35%. In the end its about distribution. With Anheuser on board, Goose's distribution expanded greatly. Besides, does it really matter if its a micro, marcro, micro/macro or craft brewery? Good beer is good beer, period.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »
It's still Goose Island. From what I remember Anheuser Busch bought about 30-35%. In the end its about distribution. With Anheuser on board, Goose's distribution expanded greatly. Besides, does it really matter if its a micro, marcro, micro/macro or craft brewery? Good beer is good beer, period.

Bud owns them entirely. They have a similar agreement as the Leinenkugel Brewery does with Miller. The only odd one is the Blue Moon Brewing Company that was started by Coors.

Personally all three of the above are pedestrian at best for breweries. They are the entry level micro beers for people who are trying to experiment.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »
Lived in the state of Washington for awhile and was able to enjoy the best beer I've ever had.  The pacific northwest produces most of the hops in the US and the breweries out there use that to their advantage.  Since I've moved back to the midwest I've started brewing my own and highly recommend it if you like more exotic or tough to get beer.  Made a Belgium triple recently that would temper any bad day.
Currently I have a quadruple hopped IPA in the fridge with high life diesel to cleanse the pallet.
If you live in Wisconsin you really can't miss the Great Taste of Midwest in Madison in August.  Best tasting I've ever been too with over 100 different brewers from the Midwest.  Had a hot pepper beer there last year which was perfect after sampling 20+ beers.
"We have the blues on the run!"

Chili

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
Had a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA tonight. Not bad for a beer from SN who I usually thinks produces way overrated beers. Good bit to the hoppyness. Like a poor mans Two Hearted.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
Goose Island is NOT fully owned by Anheuser Busch/InBev. AB through an affiliate owns a minority interest in Goose. Goose operates indepentenly but utilizes the Anheuser Busch distribution system.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:50 PM »
Had a hot pepper beer there last year which was perfect after sampling 20+ beers.

We get quite a few green chili beers out in CO.  I've only seen a couple in bottles (bombers), usually just on tap at brewpubs.  Had one last weekend while visiting Ft. Collins and eating at Coopersmiths

Smells like green chilli.  Tastes like beer.  Burns your throat like green chilli.  Ahh  ;D

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
New Belguim Brewing Company's Fat Tire is my favorite beer, which will finally be available in Wisconsin (to Madison and Milwaukee) in early May. The rest of the state will have to wait until early July for full distribution.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
New Belguim Brewing Company's Fat Tire is my favorite beer, which will finally be available in Wisconsin (to Madison and Milwaukee) in early May. The rest of the state will have to wait until early July for full distribution.

This has recently become available in Tennessee as well.  Their wit beer is very good.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2009, 12:11:44 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

Funny, obviously you get a lot of Fat Tire out here (in CO), and unfortunately it's not my favorite (though I do love most of their other beers.  1554 Belgium Black ale is awesome!  Tripple is good too.).  Nonetheless, if you get a chance to drink Fat Tire on Tap - it's 10x better than out of the bottle.  I can't drink it out of the bottle anymore - tastes skunky compared to draft. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »
.  1554 Belgium Black ale is awesome! 

Any other beers you would compare to the 1554?  I have had a lot of Belgian beers, but can't remember any of them being referred to as a Black Ale.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »
Fat Tire on Tap - it's 10x better than out of the bottle.  I can't drink it out of the bottle anymore - tastes skunky compared to draft. 

100% agreed.

feedback