[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: News Error  (Read 2294 times)

spartan3186

• All American
News Error
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:17:16 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken I believe Barro only had 6 boards. I'm pretty sure he didn't have 10 steals, or assists or blocks. Just thought I'd point it out.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: News Error
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:28:59 AM »
What are you talking about, I don't see anything about a Barro double-double!

Just kidding, thanks for the correction.  However, in double checking today's stats, there are a few interesting things from Marquette's game notes:

*McNeal set a career high with 10 assists.

*McNeal's 10 assists marks the first time a Marquette player has recorded 10 or more assists in a game since Travis Diener recorded 11 against Louisville, Feb. 17, 2005.

*Matthews has made 20 of is last 23 free throw attempts (87.0 percent). After missing his first free throw against Pittsburgh, he went on to make his next 10 straight. He hit his first six against Seton Hall, a total of 16 consecutive free throws.

*Barro tallied 10+ points for the seventh time this season. MU is 7-0 when he scores 10 or more points.

Hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since anyone in an MU uniform had 10 assists in one game.  I would have guessed James did it once or twice last year.  Guess not.

Bravo on WM's FT shooting.  Oh, and lets make sure Barro gets 10+ points!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:44:07 AM »
strange.. the gametracker had barro with over 10 rebs.. musta been off!

checked the box score as well.. thing that jumped out at me was the fact that mcneal led or co-led the team in every single category except fouls, turnovers (!!!!!), minutes, offensive rebounds (although he led on total rebounds), steals (with matthews), and FTs made/attempted (although he led on the FT%).
Yes, he tied for total points (with matthews), threes made (with fitz), and blocks (with 4 other team members at 1 each).  He led in field goals made, defensive and total rebounds, and assists.

talk about a well rounded game!! a few more offensive boards (he had 0) and FT attempts (he only had 2) and I'd call it pretty complete!

didn't realize that stat about matthews making 20 of his last 23 free throw attempts.. that's awesome!  IMO he had an emergent kind of night too - started to distinguish himself as a distinct contributor to the big three (he has always just seemed like the necessary glue that you couldn't really measure impact-wise).  He really contributed on defense.. if he could take his offense one step up too then he'd be close to a complete well-rounded game as well.  By that I mean crashing the offensive boards a little more, improving his fg% SLIGHTLY, decrease his TOs, and get a few more assists.  Not worried - he's got stars as his limit.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 07:53:40 AM »
I was at the game last night and I don't know if it would have come across on tv, but Matthews has been drinking McNeal's aggression kool-aid ;D  I can't ever remember seeing Matthews so assertative on the press break....at least 4 or 5 times he just dribbled through it.  Also he was attacking the basket more than I have ever seen him do.  I can see this game setting up perfectly for the rest of the season, Matthews has always been the best jumpshooter of the big three.....if he can drive step to clear space and then pop a jumper....DANGEROUS! :)

McNeal was just in another world last night as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."