[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 20 Sec. Shot Clock and other thoughts  (Read 3283 times)

MUfan12

• All American
20 Sec. Shot Clock and other thoughts
« on: November 05, 2006, 11:03:40 PM »
I think tonight the use of the 20 Sec. shot clock in practice and the scrimmages hurt MU a bit. They were rushing things quite a bit offensively, not making passes, individual play, quick shots. The halfcourt offense was not very good, as I think the team has gotten used to playing such a frenetic pace that it has hurt their execution in their halfcourt sets.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the foul situation too much... it wasn't like our guys were getting beat and hacking... many of them were touch fouls that are never called in the Big East. Many fouls of agression, which I can live with.

Lazar will be fine, and I don't think it will take until conference play for it to click with him. The kid is a ballplayer, he had a case of the nerves, and was too agressive.

Outside shooting has got to improve, otherwise we will see a lot of 2-3 zone. Fitz wasn't very assertive offensively, and James missed a lot of open looks. Wes played like a star in the making, and Cubillan was also very impressive. Jerel slipped into last year's decision making mindset at times, but he is looking for his jumpshot, which should hopefully keep defenses honest if he knocks them down.

MUCrisco

• Starter
Re: 20 Sec. Shot Clock and other thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »
I think tonight the use of the 20 Sec. shot clock in practice and the scrimmages hurt MU a bit. They were rushing things quite a bit offensively, not making passes, individual play, quick shots. The halfcourt offense was not very good, as I think the team has gotten used to playing such a frenetic pace that it has hurt their execution in their halfcourt sets.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the foul situation too much... it wasn't like our guys were getting beat and hacking... many of them were touch fouls that are never called in the Big East. Many fouls of agression, which I can live with.

Lazar will be fine, and I don't think it will take until conference play for it to click with him. The kid is a ballplayer, he had a case of the nerves, and was too agressive.

Outside shooting has got to improve, otherwise we will see a lot of 2-3 zone. Fitz wasn't very assertive offensively, and James missed a lot of open looks. Wes played like a star in the making, and Cubillan was also very impressive. Jerel slipped into last year's decision making mindset at times, but he is looking for his jumpshot, which should hopefully keep defenses honest if he knocks them down.

Marquette's half court offense is mainly pro sets.  In order to be successful at running those, it takes practice and repetition.  It's still extremely early in the season, and we will get better at those as we continue to practice at a team.  I don't think the 20 sec shot clock at scrimmages would hurt our ability to run our sets.  Also, the team spends a great amount of their practice time on their half court sets.  I don't think the short shot clock in practice takes away from that either.