Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: louisville's press is going to be brutal w/o james  (Read 6708 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: louisville's press is going to be brutal w/o james
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
I am much more worried about the loss of DJ on the defensive  end of the floor.  We've got 3-4 guys who can handle the ball.  Butler looked pretty good going to the hoop, and it's not like McNeal and Wes have NO dribbling ability.

In general i agree.  James' rebounding is going to be a  huge loss to overcome.  Defensivly acker won't get the steals or alter as many shots and that will also hurt are transition game.  But for louisville specifically i'm worried about how good their press is and how renlentless it is.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 02:25:34 PM »

our white elepahnat now resides in Bloomington.

That's pretty good.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »
In two games against Louisville last year, Acker played 40 minutes with 4-12 shooting from the floor and 4-4 on FTs along with 4 rebounds, 4 assists and no TOs.  He'll be fine.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
What worries me about the press is that Aker will be worn out if Buzz makes him play the whole game. Presses are most effective when players are tired. Lousiville is going to kill us on the boards and that is why we will lose this game.

garekis

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 09:26:06 PM »
Lville's full and 3/4 court presses were exposed in their blowout at Notre Dame.  In that game, Brey used the Irish's 6'9" forward, Hillesland, to advance the ball with the dribble and then to pass over the 6' Smith, Knowles, and Sosa and 5'9" McGee.  I wonder if Buzz can/will employ the same tactic with Matthews, Hayward, and/or McNeal?  Granted Lville's full-court press and half-court perimeter pressure seem to be more effective at home, but I'm more concerned with Clark and, to lesser extent, Samuels showing up and hammering us in the paint.  With those two and Williams, Lville has quite a few weapons - each of which could go off, making for a painful game.

This all being said, I echo the posters who believe it's far, far too early to lower expectations.  James is and will continue to be missed, but his fall has opened the door for Acker, Cubillan, and Butler.  I'm confident that all three will embrace the challenge and rise to the occasion.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »
As long as we can hold UL to 0% shooting, they won't have time to set up the press  ;D

Kidding aside, beating the press is nearly as simple as playing good D. 

Plus, anybody that doesn't think Acker is quick - didn't see him run to the other end of the court to save a ball this year.  After he saved it, he dribbled it while he was practically laying on the floor.  That boy can fly, and handle the ball.

Pardner

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
"Dribble right at the big man":  KO and Miller vs. Pitino's Kentucky

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
"Dribble right at the big man":  KO and Miller vs. Pitino's Kentucky

Ahhh - good memories.  Aside from drubbing we gave UK in 2003, the 1994 drubbing was my other favorite MU game to attend.  Plus a few days at St Pete's beach was an awesome time for a college frosh that spent his spring break (the week before) in Ohio.

Say what you want about Pep band, but they sent me to that game free of charge, and gave me a daily stipend (which we all spent on beer) just to be there.  Bonfires on the beach, too much drinking, and beating UK.  Good times.

For those that don't know of the game (or need a refresher)....here's a good recap.
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Games/19940320Marquette.html

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 07:36:08 AM »
Ahhh - good memories.  Aside from drubbing we gave UK in 2003, the 1994 drubbing was my other favorite MU game to attend.  Plus a few days at St Pete's beach was an awesome time for a college frosh that spent his spring break (the week before) in Ohio.

Say what you want about Pep band, but they sent me to that game free of charge, and gave me a daily stipend (which we all spent on beer) just to be there.  Bonfires on the beach, too much drinking, and beating UK.  Good times.

For those that don't know of the game (or need a refresher)....here's a good recap.
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Games/19940320Marquette.html

Wow.  It's been a long time since an opposing coach commented on our "bulk and strength" rather than speed and quickness.
Ludum habemus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 09:14:27 AM »
38 3pt attempts?   Wow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.