Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Conference reallignment proposition  (Read 7250 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: Conference reallignment proposition
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »
Why do these proposals always put us in a mid-major conference?  If I'm ND I'm joining the Big Ten before any of these conferences.  Heck, I'd rather see MU in the Big Ten before these conferences.  And we'd surely get the "students aren't going to games" threads for every game on the schedule.  I really think, and hope, the BE would division-up in football vs. non-football before splitting completely.  Would probably make dealing with revenues easier, and would still give us games against actual good teams every year.
Um, because Marquette does not have a football team and all the "major" conferences have football teams with their conference members. These are just options if the Big East splits up. Unfortunately, a conference with no football members may not be as prestigious, unless the teams prove it on the basketball court with deep runs in the NCAAs.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »
11 Catholic schools....and Butler?

Not that it's a big deal, but I'm just sayin'...
Oops, for some reason I thought Butler was a Catholic school. My bad. Substitute Butler with ND then, or if they don't join, than St. Louis or Dayton.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
We'd need to come up with $100 million.  Additionally we'd either need womens sports that would allow for another 85-100 individuals to play, or we'd have to cut men's sports to be able to support a football team of that size.  That would be a monumental undertaking.

Yeah I realize that the whole thing is pretty far fetched. But I really wish one day... if only...
side note and whole new topic in genera --> Why doesnt MU have a mens and womens D1 hockey team? we have the facilities...

I see that splitting the confrences as listed above puts us in a mediocre mid-major that MU, Gtown or Nova would win literally every year. Why not just put the Big East in Football/Non-football or Religious/Secular confrences? It creates virtually the same break down.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
Why doesnt MU have a mens and womens D1 hockey team? we have the facilities...

When I was in school we had a very good club hockey team that would whup on D2 and D3 schools in the area.  I don't really recall why they got rid of that.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »
Actually it wouldn't be.  The conference by laws are set up so that if there is a split, the name and everything associated with it go to whichever new conference has the highest number of founding Big East members.  Since there are only 6 founding members left in the conference, and 4 of them are basketball schools, that means the name and conference would stay with the basketball schools assuming they all stuck together.  

So really, the football schools couldn't boot anyone out, because they don't get to keep the name or anything like that.  They'd have to start a completely new conference on their own.

Who cares? So MU gets to stay in a conference named the Big East. That's not the point. If that conference no longer contains the likes of UConn, UL, Syracuse, Pitt, etc...all the team that would leave for football reasons, the name Big East isn't going to mean a whole lot. Would they technically be booting schools like MU out? No. Would that effectively be the result? Absolutely.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »
We are about as far north as a school gets without having a team, we’d have a bigger student pop that most schools too. I think if you add either you can be immediately competitive. You’d think that there would be enough of a draw from the area and students that you could even make a profit eventually. Maybe even draw a fair number of students to the games too.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »
It's not going to happen. They are not that stupid. It's the only conference with 6 (Uconn, Syracuse, Gtown, Vnova, Marquette, Louisville and Cincy) NCAA champions. No other conference has more.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 02:53:15 PM »
Typo, I meant 7.

Pardner

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 04:53:51 PM »
So, when do the Domers (and NBC) wake up and realize that remaining an indy in football and playing and losing on national TV to cupcakes is not at all helping that program (recruiting, rankings, bowl bids) despite the $$?  Will NBC reup on that deal?  Doubtful today the way that football program, media fragmentation  and economy are going. 

So, does adding ND to the BE football schools shore up the football schools?

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
So, when do the Domers (and NBC) wake up and realize that remaining an indy in football and playing and losing on national TV to cupcakes is not at all helping that program (recruiting, rankings, bowl bids) despite the $$?  Will NBC reup on that deal?  Doubtful today the way that football program, media fragmentation  and economy are going. 

So, does adding ND to the BE football schools shore up the football schools?
Or, on the other hand, does it change the "balance of power" from 8 FB/8 non-FB to 9 FB/7 non-FB, giving yet more reason for the conference to break up?

I don't know, I'm asking...