[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Frozena on Sportscenter!  (Read 27620 times)

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
Frozena on Sportscenter!
« on: February 17, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
Great highlight of Robert's bucket and the bench going nuts after he scored...hope everyone saw it!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Frozena on Sportscenter!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »
Dumb.  They didn't show Butler's ally-oop because they completely missed it during the game.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:41 PM »
Yep!! Absolutely awesome!  

Bummed that neither alley oop (especially Butler's) made it on the show, but gotta feel good for Rob, especially since it was the enthusiasm of his teammates that made it noteworthy.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:22:50 PM »
Yep!! Absolutely awesome!  

Bummed that neither alley oop (especially Butler's) made it on the show, but gotta feel good for Rob, especially since it was the enthusiasm of his teammates that made it noteworthy.

WHY?!?  Did this kid cure cancer?  Is he mentally handicapped?  I have no idea how he sees the court or is even on the team.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
A cricket play was number 4 on the sportscenter top 10.  Jimmy easily could have have the 2 spot if they would have recorded it.

GregShimonFor2

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »
WHY?!?  Did this kid cure cancer?  Is he mentally handicapped?  I have no idea how he sees the court or is even on the team.

Maybe the single dumbest post of the entire year. He's on the team because he's willing to give up 5-7 hours a day and get beat on in practice by bigger, stronger and more talented players.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
Maybe the single dumbest post of the entire year. He's on the team because he's willing to give up 5-7 hours a day and get beat on in practice by bigger, stronger and more talented players.

+1

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUshrooms

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »
Yeah, you do realize he's a walk-on don't you?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »

Maybe you can tell me... how do you say "dumb ass comment" in Mandarin?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 11:42:19 PM »

Big Deal... I promise you I can find some kids at the Rec Center willing to give up the time and that are better than him.

(Not to get off topic, but I knew a great player that tried to get on the team in the 2000 season.  He was able to practice with the team but he never got to dress because the other walk on that dressed as a favor to the kid's dad by Crean.  The point is that the Frozena is terrible and I know there were better players out there that tried to walk on unless things have drastically changed since I have been there.)
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:09 PM »
unless things have drastically changed since I have been there.

Like a head coach?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:38 PM »
Big Deal... I promise you I can find some kids at the Rec Center willing to give up the time and that are better than him.

(Not to get off topic, but I knew a great player that tried to get on the team in the 2000 season.  He was able to practice with the team but he never got to dress because the other walk on that dressed as a favor to the kid's dad by Crean.  The point is that the Frozena is terrible and I know there were better players out there that tried to walk on unless things have drastically changed since I have been there.)

#1.  You've got your facts way screwed up.  The kid Crean did a favor for didn't come in until 2002-03.  MU didn't have any official walk ons in 2000, and the only practice player they had was John Allen who was never as good as he claimed to be.

#2.  Those rec center players may be able to beat Frozena 1 on 1.  But there's very very few people who can actually put up with the coaches and their treatment during an entire season.  99% of Rec Center hotshots don't make it through the first tryout because they don't have the mental fortitude and attitude of a guy like Frozena.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »
Like a head coach?

Also, MU is a decent size school.  I have seen some interesting gym rats.  Not saying you could find your next starter, Frozena is just really bad.

I think I have a bigger problem that when Buzz only trusts 6 players on the team, he decides to play Frozena instead of another player that can use it the PT as a learning experience.  After all, isn't practice time precious?  If we can't find enough practice time for FT's, Buzz should use those situations as practice time.  

romey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 11:56:40 PM »
Also, MU is a decent size school.  I have seen some interesting gym rats.  Not saying you could find your next starter, Frozena is just really bad.

I think I have a bigger problem that when Buzz only trusts 6 players on the team, he decides to play Frozena instead of another player that can use it the PT as a learning experience.  After all, isn't practice time precious?  If we can't find enough practice time for FT's, Buzz should use those situations as practice time.  
not this again.  He was in there for one minute.  As someone pointed out in another thread when you attacked Frozena, what possible meaningful benefit could a sub get in the last minute of a blow out game?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 11:57:30 PM »
#1.  You've got your facts way screwed up.  The kid Crean did a favor for didn't come in until 2002-03.  MU didn't have any official walk ons in 2000, and the only practice player they had was John Allen who was never as good as he claimed to be.

He told me otherwise.  I thought he was pretty decent.  At the very least, he was a physical specimen.  

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »
A great moment. We should all hope Frozena stays on for 4 years. The walk-on always has the most heart. Not to say this team lacks any heart. One of the many things I appreciate about TC is his insistence in bringing guys in that have elite "desire". Those are the guys that will maximize their potential.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 12:02:57 AM »
not this again.  He was in there for one minute.  As someone pointed out in another thread when you attacked Frozena, what possible meaningful benefit could a sub get in the last minute of a blow out game?

Plenty... Again, this board has made a huge point that team practices are really regulated and every minute of practice can not be wasted.  WHY NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE SITUATIONS?  Do we need to let some walkon play in the hope that he scores a basket.  I could understand if we were a team with a ton of depth with players that didn't need the practice.  There are players on this team that obviously need more practice.   

romey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
Have you ever seen a team that is blowing out an opponent set up and run an offense with a minute to go?  Basically they dribble around until there are 10 seconds left on the shot clock and throw one up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:11:13 AM »
Frozena is pulling a 3.99, too.  I'm very happy for him.  Balancing school and a team sport has to be difficult.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 12:14:02 AM »
Have you ever seen a team that is blowing out an opponent set up and run an offense with a minute to go?  Basically they dribble around until there are 10 seconds left on the shot clock and throw one up.

Yes... Whats wrong with setting up a play?  No one is going to frown upon that as long as our scrubs are out there.  At the very least send it down to Otule to practice some moves , which they did which was great.  By not calling a play, we had Cubes throwing up a dumb shot.  

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »
Plenty... Again, this board has made a huge point that team practices are really regulated and every minute of practice can not be wasted.  WHY NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE SITUATIONS?  Do we need to let some walkon play in the hope that he scores a basket.  I could understand if we were a team with a ton of depth with players that didn't need the practice.  There are players on this team that obviously need more practice.   

Seriously?  So we shouldn't allow Frozena to play a minute which he deserves, and when our other guys need a break?  Our starters and Jimmy don't need more practice at the end, and really everyone besides Acker played only in the final minutes.  How is that any different?  

Put Frozena in the rec center and judge his competition then.  He's played with amazing guys for two years, so I think he's smart enough to pick up a lot more basketball knowledge and skills.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 12:17:07 AM »

What are you talking about?  The lineup in the last minute was Frozena, Acker, Cubillan, Fulce, and Otule.  Four players got that minute as PT, like you're suggesting.  I suppose Hazel could have been out there instead of Frozena, but maybe Buzz was confused and thought that Pat was already in the game when he saw Hazell's jersey.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »
Seriously?  So we shouldn't allow Frozena to play a minute which he deserves, and when our other guys need a break?  Our starters and Jimmy don't need more practice at the end, and really everyone besides Acker played only in the final minutes.  How is that any different?  

Put Frozena in the rec center and judge his competition then.  He's played with amazing guys for two years, so I think he's smart enough to pick up a lot more basketball knowledge and skills.

... So guys like Fulce and Hazel (didn't play against SF) don't deserve PT?  How does Frozena "deserve" PT?  The question is "Who on the bench might be called upon to put in productive minutes and do they need more practice?"  The only situation that Frozena would be put in a game that was in the balance was if every other player was hurt or fouled out.  Kids go out on the court and Buzz says stuff like "They were clueless".  Those players need more practice.  Even Hazel.   

Players need PT to get better... Ask Jimmy Butler

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 12:29:26 AM »
Well, he did emerge from an "open tryout" last year when we had a couple injuries and were looking to add a walk-on.  Would there be a point to putting someone else on the team this year when Frozena was around last year, knows the players, the players know him (and apparently really love him), he understands what's expected of him?  What benefit does a slightly more talented player bring?  If anything, whatever the walk-on on the #10 team in the country can add to a team requires more brains and more commitment than it does talent.  There are probably only a handful of kids that could do it.  I don't buy it at all that he's interchangeable for half the clowns at the Rec Center.

feedback