Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] A New 2009 Name...MU among final two schools  (Read 18561 times)

MUViking

• Starter
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] A New 2009 Name...MU among final two schools
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »
I'd pay $99.95 for Dodds not to post anywhere.

Yeah, those extremely informative audio interviews of Dodds with Tony Benford, Aki Collins, Dale Layer and Hank Raymonds were really lousy.   ::)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Sounds like a rumble is brewing.

Meet at the bike racks after school.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
Yeah, those extremely informative audio interviews of Dodds with Tony Benford, Aki Collins, Dale Layer and Hank Raymonds were really lousy.   ::)

There's a Hoops apologist. I guess I asked for it.

Viking, what would we do without those compelling interviews? We'd all be lost...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »
No, I agree that it is news on this board that we've been recruiting Bryant...

Oh Please.  Put up a poll of all Premium Board users and see how many knew we were actually recruiting Bryant.  Put a post on the non-Premium Scout board and see how many people there knew we were recruiting him prior to yesterday.  Heck put a post on the Scout National board and see if Dave and Evan even know we are after him.  There's no need to take a veiled shot at this board just because of your affiliation with Dodds. 

The reality is, the fact that we were in his final 2 is news, and not just to this board.  People on the premium board didn't know it either, hence the copying of the article to that board soon after I wrote it. 

If I follow your logic, there were two threads on the kid, but you missed them even though you check that board nearly everyday, so that means he wasn't discussed.  Hmmm.

Didn't say that means he wasn't discussed.  My point was if I missed it, how many other people missed it as well.  He's not been mentioned here, he's not been mentioned on the Scout Free Board, he's not been mentioned in a Scout Article, Rivals Article, ESPN Article or anything from any other recruiting service.  If I had simply posted this news on the Premium board, it would have drawn almost no comment and a lot of people still wouldn't know we are involved with Glenn Bryant.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »
There's a Hoops apologist. I guess I asked for it.

Viking, what would we do without those compelling interviews? We'd all be lost...

I enjoyed the interviews and found them very informative.  For folks who don't want to be premium members and don't want to hear the interviews, that's fine too.  Different strokes for different folks.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »
What do you mean BMA?  For only 9.95 a month you can find out about MU basketball a day before everyone else!  Plus Dodds post more on that site, which is awesome.

Actually, the main draw of the $9.95 a month isn't Dodd's posts, or the national stuff.....it's the lure of a Murff free board.  Sometimes everyone needs a break.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »
Oh Please.  Put up a poll of all Premium Board users and see how many knew we were actually recruiting Bryant.  Put a post on the non-Premium Scout board and see how many people there knew we were recruiting him prior to yesterday.  Heck put a post on the Scout National board and see if Dave and Evan even know we are after him.  There's no need to take a veiled shot at this board just because of your affiliation with Dodds. 

The reality is, the fact that we were in his final 2 is news, and not just to this board.  People on the premium board didn't know it either, hence the copying of the article to that board soon after I wrote it. 

Didn't say that means he wasn't discussed.  My point was if I missed it, how many other people missed it as well.  He's not been mentioned here, he's not been mentioned on the Scout Free Board, he's not been mentioned in a Scout Article, Rivals Article, ESPN Article or anything from any other recruiting service.  If I had simply posted this news on the Premium board, it would have drawn almost no comment and a lot of people still wouldn't know we are involved with Glenn Bryant.

People on the premium board knew we were involved and that he's been on campus at least twice.  I'll leave it at that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
Dodds who? Never heard of him.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
Dodds premium info is a joke.   IWB was the only reason to go there in the first place.  Now maybe you'll get some Mark Miller scraps and that's it.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 03:34:18 PM »
If you do a completion match search on "Bryant" on the premium board his name comes up twice in the first three pages, or the 120 most recent topics.  I don't know what constitutes being discussed, and everyone's point of view will differ, but I would posit he has hardly been discussed recently until bma found that article.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
Dodds has a lot of nerve charging people to basically share info amongst themselves. IWB no longer contributes and Dodds never provided any inside info. That's quite a racket he's got going on there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »

People on the premium board knew we were involved and that he's been on campus at least twice.  I'll leave it at that.

As you said, different strokes for different folks.
But I personally fail to see a significant monetary value in knowing more quickly than some others that a MU is "involved" with a kid.
Which is why I'm no longer a premium subscriber.
That and the fact that too many (and by that I mean "more than zero") number of posts on that board were dedicated to expressing a sense of self-superiority and "insider-ness" over the wretched masses who choose not to subscribe.

Just my two cents.
Which doesn't cost you $89.95 a year.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 05:59:54 PM »
Alright, I have to apologize because I never meant for this post to turn into another Dodds versus MUScoop thread.  I simply found what I thought was new recruiting info, and shared it with the larger MU Hoops community that doesn't spend time scouring the internet for recruiting info like some of us do.

Before I posted on CS, I made a point of checking the Scout Premium archives to see if a link to this article had been posted in the week since it was written and there was nothing, nor was there any mention of Bryant that I could find in that time period.  Similarly, I checked MUScoop just to make sure that I was not stealing anyone's information.  I could not find a single instance of anyone mentioning Marquette with Glenn Bryant.  It wasn't until well after I posted that someone pointed me in the direction of the month old posts on Premium Board.

Let me make myself clear, I have never, nor will I ever share information I get as a member of the premium board.  To paraphrase the worst ad campaign of all time, what happens on the premium board stays on the premium board.  Additionally, anything else that is subscriber only info is off limits.  That includes, but is not limited to Dodds' interviews, MUHoops staff articles, and anything from the national scout sources.  That's subscriber only info, and while you may not agree with their practices, it's their right to keep that information private.  There are plenty of other sources of recruiting info out there, one doesn't need to steal from Scout to be informed.

My goal with the CS post was the same as it has always been whether I'm posting here, Scout, Rivals or the old Usenet groups more than a decade ago....to stimulate interesting conversation about the team.  If it came across differently, that was my mistake, and it won't happen again.

Now that that's out of the way, we can all get back to the real issue, whether or not MU should be looking at another combo forward  in this class(or quite honestly the next one too) given what is already on the roster and what is coming in the future.  Discuss.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:32 PM »
He appears to be a BE type player.

But we still need SHOOTERS!
SS Marquette

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 05:16:18 AM »
Does Buzz ever intend to recruit a guy with a rep as a shooter.  I'm starting to think that this recruiting of height is an over reaction by Buzz to his current roster of small players and what bigs we have that have been injured and haven't shown much.  If my fear is correct this is the same kind of over-reaction by Crean that left us with all guards.  Now I admit that with Big guys you may have to take a few extra because it seems more wash out.  That said it is handy to have a couple guys you can count on to hit the 3 point shot and we are proving go guards trump a team full of forwards.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
Does Buzz ever intend to recruit a guy with a rep as a shooter.  I'm starting to think that this recruiting of height is an over reaction by Buzz to his current roster of small players and what bigs we have that have been injured and haven't shown much.  If my fear is correct this is the same kind of over-reaction by Crean that left us with all guards.  Now I admit that with Big guys you may have to take a few extra because it seems more wash out.  That said it is handy to have a couple guys you can count on to hit the 3 point shot and we are proving go guards trump a team full of forwards.

He is recruiting guys with reps as shooters.  MU is currently involved with Sherrod Wright and Jeremy Adams both of whom got where they are because of shooting.  There's also a ton of guys known as shooters that he's gone after, he just didn't land them.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
He is recruiting guys with reps as shooters.  MU is currently involved with Sherrod Wright and Jeremy Adams both of whom got where they are because of shooting.  There's also a ton of guys known as shooters that he's gone after, he just didn't land them.

Buzz needs a shooter for 09, and a PG in '10 in the worst way. He'll get what he needs.....with PT to offer, the sell is more compelling

nola03

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »

Wright is the guy who would fill the biggest hole. Outstanding player who would come with great pedigree after spending time in Cimino's Mt. Vernon program. Height, athleticism, IQ, shooter.

IWB recently said that the "ship has sailed" with MU and Wright.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
Wright is the guy who would fill the biggest hole. Outstanding player who would come with great pedigree after spending time in Cimino's Mt. Vernon program. Height, athleticism, IQ, shooter.

IWB recently said that the "ship has sailed" with MU and Wright.

We have been counted out of the Wright sweepstakes multiple times so far, and everytime Buzz finds his way back in. 

It won't be over until Wright actually signs an LOI and shows up on someone's campus.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »
Actually watched Mt. Vernon play the other day (sunday?) on MSG Network.  He looked OK, but announcers said they spoke to Wright and he would rather go to a mid-major where he can play right away and not a major school where he would sit on bench.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »
You can cross Adams off the list, too. We've bowed out for his services.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 10:40:56 AM »
he would rather go to a mid-major where he can play right away

I take insult to him calling Marquette a mi-major!  :P

I think we might be able to find a spot on the floor for a shooter next year. 

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
When you say we bowed out for his services.  Did you mean that Mu felt that he was not a great fit for what we are looking for with the last spot or did Mu feel he would not come this far north either way?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
Not a great fit, talent wise.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 12:01:34 PM »
You can cross Adams off the list, too. We've bowed out for his services.

I wouldn't go that far.  We just aren't showing the level of interest that some other schools are and we haven't extended him an offer like other schools.  Doesn't mean we've completely given up on him yet, but other players are a priority.