[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: buzz and homer  (Read 52302 times)

augoman

• All American
Re: buzz and homer
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2009, 11:56:02 PM »
burger, are you aware that he led the ncaa in blocks?  ALL players?

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2009, 12:09:46 AM »
Well, Jimmy Mac got a 36 million dollar contract in the NBA. He did something right, don't you think Mr. Burger?

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »
And all await Burger post #3.

I heard it "live" and was taken aback a bit...but nothing like the overreaction on this board.

Sounds like cooler heads have prevailed.  A contrite Buzz...a "no big deal" Mac...Homer earning points as peace maker in the 'dust up'...

I'll tell you what sticks in my craw a little bit...and maybe was under Buzz' skin too, is that every time the BEast is mentioned, every one of the 'front runners' (even tho MU has been THE front runner for almost two months now) gets props before MU does.  Everyone talks U-Conn, L'Ville, Pitt and until recently G-Town, ND and 'Cuse before they mention Marquette as a legitimate conference champion.  I think Bilas was trying to speak to that a little bit when he proclaimed...almost to a NATION of doubters, that "Marquette could win this thing."  He was almost surprising himself with that revelation.

I think a little bit of Buzz' angst is rooted in that.  And Mac's question was interpreted as a little more of the same, unjustifiably so I might add.

GO WARRIORS...plan to be there and chant that Tuesday night at Allstate.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2009, 02:02:18 AM »
the only thing i can think of is when mac said "obviously, the number, the ranking is going down."  buzz could have heard that as "your run isn't going to last forever" or "this will end soon".  there had to be something misunderstood in there.

in the end, i think everyone is flying off the handle. 

I think this is what caused the dust-up. Mac was pointing out that MU has steadily moved up in the national rankings. But Buzz mistook his comment to mean the opposite, that MU is going to start losing as the schedule gets tougher...the notion some in the media have that MU hasn't really played anybody yet. That has to be why he was shocked that a Marquette guy would ask such a question. Unfortunate, but no big deal. It will be interesting, though, to hear the next on-air exchange between Buzz & Mac.   

jce

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2009, 05:43:53 AM »
Clearly Buzz has an issue about keeping his emotions in check at times.  Be it this incident...or the sudden snubbing of Jamil Wilson...or calling Fulce and Otule "terrible."  However, knowing him he probably knows this and works hard to keep it cool.  It just doesn't always work.

Hey, give credit to Mac for letting it slide.  This is a non-issue because neither of them will let it become one.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »
Maybe if "heart" is the generic question....

MacIlviene with his "innate" talent never displayed it.....

Never dominated when he had the chance with all the talent in the world....

Not against Duke in the Sweet 16 .....Not in the pro's with he signed that $36 million 6 year contract that he did not play the last 3 or 4 years of.....

Call it like it is.....

Maybe there is more to this....and Buzz does have a good read.....

I do not think you fly off the handle about it on the radio.....But .....MAC if you think about it.....Is not what Buzz is all about.....

MAC could be one of the most "underachieving" players ever to go to Marquette given his talent....

He could have been right up there with the Ewing et al if he had developed to his fullest!

Wow--this post is more mind boggling than the Buzz interview. Did you ever see Mac play? I would go the other direction and say Mac worked hard to turn limited athletic ability into a solid NCAA career and nice NBA contract. He had to endure the abuse O'Neill put on him (and everyone) and turned into a solid player. There's no question he wasn't on the same level athletically as just about everyone in the NBA, but he had a knack for blocking shots and he parlayed that into a decent career and a nice lifestyle back home for himself.

Mac is a nice guy and a real good representative of the program....Buzz will apologize and it'll be done.....

Buzz is doing a hell of a job, no question about it. It's also pretty apparent he's quirky, obsessive compulsive, emotional and sometimes a little strange. All that said, he seems like he's got a big heart, understands his limitations and works his ass off.  He's created a pressure cooker for himself with the success they are having...will be fun to see it play out.

This is not a rip on the former regime, but I truly don't believe we'd be 19-2, 8-0 without the change. This has to be good for Buzz in terms of earning credibility before the struggles that are likely ahead in the next couple years. Wonder what Mr. Hurley at St. Anthony's would have to say about Buzz now??

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »
Am I missing something here or is this being blow way out of porportion?

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »
Am I missing something here or is this being blow way out of porportion?

How is it being blown out of proportion?  People talking about boorish behavior in a chat room, and saying he owes an apology is hardly blowing it out of proportion.  People aren't saying Buzz is a bad person or that he should be punished.  Isn't this exactly what chat rooms are for?

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2009, 09:45:44 AM »
It is probably being blown out of proportion.  But the whole episode was so uncharacteristic of Buzz that most people on this Board and in the general public are scratching their heads.  He sounded like a lunatic, there is no getting around that bit of unpleasantness.

I believe most people are giving him the benefit of the doubt, a bad day, a misunderstanding, adrenaline after a big win, whatever . . .  

I hope it doesn't happen again, and I'm willing to bet it won't.  I'm trying to focus on DePaul now.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »
It's very much being blown out of proportion.

What's funny is that Buzz admitted that he didn't handle it right. And when Mac was approached about it he said

"McIlvaine, when reached after the game, implied too much was being made of the incident.

"I think it was just a misunderstanding," he said. "I've already forgotten about it."" http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/goldeneagles.html

So if the "victim" is saying it's blown out of proportion and he's already forgotten about it, then can we all forget about it? This has surpassed ridiculous

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »
It was a stupid mistake by Buzz.

He's human.

It'll be fine.

However, to be fair, if this was the former coach, you'd see posts like:

"This is just another example of how Crean disrespects the former players (like Brute Force) because he thinks he's bigger than MU. What an arogant SOB."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »
It was a stupid mistake by Buzz.

He's human.

It'll be fine.

However, to be fair, if this was the former coach, you'd see posts like:

"This is just another example of how Crean disrespects the former players (like Brute Force) because he thinks he's bigger than MU. What an arogant SOB."

With Buzz their is no previous examples and 10 minutes later he regretted how he answered the question.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »

What's funny is that Buzz admitted that he didn't handle it right. And when Mac was approached about it he said

"McIlvaine, when reached after the game, implied too much was being made of the incident.

"I think it was just a misunderstanding," he said. "I've already forgotten about it."" http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/goldeneagles.html

So if the "victim" is saying it's blown out of proportion and he's already forgotten about it, then can we all forget about it? This has surpassed ridiculous

This is probably fair.  However, it isn't as though Mac had a lot of other choices.  What was he supposed to do, stomp his foot like a petulant child and say he demands Buzz owes him an apology.  He handled the situation in really the only way a classy person like him would.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »

It never was blown out of proportion.  Buzz acted like idiot, he admitted it, and many people noticed it and commented on it.  I haven't seen ONE person call for his head or even a suspension, fine or anything of that nature.  The most I saw was a public apology, which he is yet to give. 

If we were in the middle of the BEAST pack he wouldn't have nearly the number of people willing to accept what he did.  For someone who preaches character I thought he showed poor character, and I like many others, took notice.  That's all.  Show me one post where anyone thought he should do anything more than apologize.  How's is that blowing the situation out of proportion?

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
My take is that Buzz has earned some credits for the way he has handled his duties this year. And while I feel uncomfortable with his public criticisms of marginal players like Otule and Fulce, well that's his way of dealing with his players. However, he was wrong and it seems to me he has to follow his own advice. Do the right thing. He called out Mac in public. The appropriate thing to do is man up and apologize in public. Do it now and let's move on with this incredibly great season because no one if we'll ever see another like this in our lifetime. As a Cub fan I can attest to that.
Players win awards but teams win championships

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »
This is being blown out of proportion.  It was an honest mistake by Buzz to misinterpret the question and provide a response that could have been worded differently using a better tone to not "attack" a great ambassador of Marquette.  Buzz has shown us he is an emotional person and I believe that's the reason for the response. 

However, since both sides say it's a non-issue, that's exactly what it is.  No harm, no foul, no black mark on the program.  Just be thankful this didn't happen on national radio/TV.  I'll only be concerned if Ed Werder shows up at the Al to monitor the daily actions of the program.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »
This is being blown out of proportion. 

You think?  Its only fans that have been proven wrong and cant find anything to complain about, so they see a minor sign of weakness and jump on it.   

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2009, 11:26:46 PM »
Clearly Buzz has an issue about keeping his emotions in check at times.  Be it this incident...or the sudden snubbing of Jamil Wilson...or calling Fulce and Otule "terrible."  However, knowing him he probably knows this and works hard to keep it cool.  It just doesn't always work.

I think this is a bit unfair-

1) Buzz gave Wilson every shot to commit. Wilson's dad said he was going to commit, Buzz told them to come up and they never showed. His recruitment has been so bizarre that it was not a "sudden snubbing" by Buzz.

2) I think it was pretty lear the "pitiful" comments were to keep expectations in check with those guys. Truth be told, they did some good things but were pretty bad in a lot of areas, stuff coaches pay close attention to. I didn't think that was an issue of controlling emotions at all.

There's no doubt that the pressure is mounting, and he's never had anything like this. But the tone of some of these posts painting him as emotionally unstable or out of control are ridiculous. He misunderstood a question, and reacted poorly. A rookie head coach, I'll give him a mulligan.

As someone else said, if this is all we have to complain about life is good.

Classof83

• Walk-On
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »
I listened to the game on XM radio's Big East network and the feed covered the post game.  Living out of town, this was really my first chance to hear Buzz talk, um...ramble. My first thought was Buzz misunderstood the question and Jim or his co-host would help smooth over the situation.  When they did not, I wondered if this collision was brewing for sometime. (kind of like Ozzie and Mike North on the SCORE).The comments were way too personal and seemed to reflect his longstanding opinion that MU should not have these guys on the payroll. One thing is for sure, more people will tune into the post game show.

basket

• Walk-On
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »
Whatever happended to Buzz's lawsuit in New Orleans.   what was that about anyway.   We never got any kind of details on what went down there.