[Today at 09:10:49 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:07:16 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU/UL Post-game interviews  (Read 6367 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
MU/UL Post-game interviews
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:17:46 PM »
Jerel:

-Game plan?
Wanted to take away good looks, switching on perimeter

-foul trouble
Difficult to play with 2 in 1st half, 4 in 2nd.  Credit goes to DJ, Wes, OOze while I was on the bench.

-DJ?
Nique looked great from the bench.  Took fans out of game with big 3s.  All credit goes to them.  Big stops, big baskets.

-Any TOs in FCP?
Credit to coaching for FCP, great strategy on FCP.

-0-2 to 3-2
Monday night, we gotta good chance for 3-2, never stopped believing in ourselves, lots of confidence.  Lots of time off before Pitt game .. big game, yadda yadda.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
Crean post-game
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:18:18 PM »
-It was a hard fought, great poise .. few mistakes down stretch, battle of wills .. made big FTs.  Never stopped running, didn't put Padgett on FT line in 2nd half.  DJ got lightening hot.  DJ's HS coach was here.

-Pitino said his team was young, immature
So's mine.  Young is only young when haven't had that experience.  Our guys have had this experience before.  Confidence is high.  We learned a lot from SU game loss.

Would have loved to given DJ a break, played 36 minutes.  Had to pull through without a rest.  Great feeling to walk out with win.

-ooze with double double.
Ooze is a machine.  I'm worried he's tired, but he has lots of energy.  JMac was ruthless during pre-game shootaround practice.  He buys in to what he has to do, tough, pleasure to coach.

-4-18 3fg shooting
We were digging too quick on Padget early, kick out for 3.  Had to adjust .. got beat a couple times .. was ranked #1 guy out of HS.  Best skill is his passing.  Wanted to keep them off balance.

-0-2 to 3-2
Got a little break, 4th game in 9 days.  We'll be ready for Pitt.  Our guys are building confidence.  Thanks to fans who came to UL, those who were watching.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:27:54 PM by mu_hilltopper »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MU/UL Post-game interviews
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »
thanks for recapping topper!!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »
However .. as I was taking dictation, I kept thinking it was an incredible amount of fluff.  Kept waiting to hear a casual observer wouldn't already know. 

Question to JM: Was it hard to play with foul trouble?
Answer: Yes.  The coaching staff wanted me to play carefully because I had fouls.  And a few dozen more words that mean the same thing.

Question: 0-2 to 3-2 in BE.
Answer: Yeah, that's great.  We're real happy with that.  Here's five dozen words on how the BE is tough and how happy we are to have 3-2 record now.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:41:52 AM »
Would you prefer that Jerel dive into a discussion with Homer debating the philosophical nuances of basketball as it relates to life?  Or better yet, just start making up a bunch of crap about the conference or trash talking UL on the air?

Just because an answer is the standard canned answer doesn't mean that it's wrong or that there's more info to be found.  Let's enjoy a hard fought win and not worry about how one of the post-game interviews didn't give the board some extra conversation starters for the long break before our next game.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »
Easy, tiger.  I listen to the post-games all the time.  I enjoy having Crean give his take on the game.   But yes, content is always preferrable over fluff, if that's what you're asking.

My problem was taking the dictation, that it just doesn't do well on paper, and it appears like fluff.   Probably 90% of all sports interviews are like that, as immortalized by Bull Durham. 

On-air it's fine, and we almost expect it.  On paper, not so much.

Oh, and you're welcome.  Thank you for reading.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »
Sorry for jumping on you like that hilltopper.  Everyone here (especially me) appreciate the interview recaps. 

I guess my point was exactly what you just said:  "Probably 90% of all sports interviews are like that." Although I'd guess that the number is higher than 90%.  With as much as we know and discuss about any given team I doubt there is much that could be revealed during a post-game interview. 

I'd say if you wanted to get rid of some of the fluff the job lies with Homer asking different questions.  Again, I'm not sure the deeper info is necessarily there to reveal, but if it's going to come out the interviewers need to ask the right questions.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:27:53 AM »
Homer should start every interview with "tell me what the cameras didn't show us."

What did you or player X say in the huddle?  2nd half adjustments?  Why did DJ get his leg wrapped?   Where's Lott?  And Kinsella's minutes?

And what fake quotes did you make up from Pitino for locker room material?

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »
Homer could definitely improve.  I liked when Tony Smith was there awhile back and got on Fitz for not shooting. I think the most inciteful thing these post games are good for is that we can determine whether or not the coach is pissed.

mu0804

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 07:57:50 PM »
anyone know what happened to tony smith???  i mean maybe he's still down on the end of the bench somewhere with all the other assistants and i just missed him...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
IIRC, he was technically a graduate assistant .. I believe he was with the team until the semester ended in December.  Could be wrong.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 09:19:25 PM »
IIRC, he was technically a graduate assistant .. I believe he was with the team until the semester ended in December.  Could be wrong.

could RJax have taken Smith's spot as a grad ass't/student mgr(which I believe Smith was, he was finishing his undergrad degree, not a masters.)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 08:01:38 AM »
"could" RJax?  Sure.  But again, IIRC, Crean has him around as RJax waits to start a season in Europe.  Nothing permanent.