[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: buzz and homer  (Read 51906 times)

MUWarrior06

• Starter
Re: buzz and homer
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2009, 04:23:21 PM »
I'm not sure what winning or losing has to do with this thread?

perhaps because winning is the BIGGER story than this garble?

muole

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »
 i don't really CARE and posting once or twice is hardly obsessing over it.  I, too, have never said a bad word about buzz before now, but he did sound TEMPORARILY INSANE - that is not hyperbole.

and for fans concerned enough to write on chatboards about the team, this is a completely newsworthy topic.  i learned this during my time at MU in the Broadcast Journalism department.  

it was an amazing win and buzz should be proud as hell of his team, but that does not excuse his actions is this limited matter.  i dont think it calls for a public apology, but maybe a private one.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »
People saying it was no big deal obviously didn't hear the interview.  Mac asked a very basic, unthreatening question, and Buzz went on what seemed like a 2-minute rant, ripping Mac up and down Wisconsin Ave.  Absolutely no justification for that,

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

::) :D :D :D :D

an on-air apology? Too funny

Not funny at all.  Buzz is a stand up guy.  If he feels that he over reacted to the question, he will offer an apology on-air.  He has apologized for his actions before on-air for actions that were extremely tame and frankly no big deal.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »

and for fans concerned enough to write on chatboards about the team, this is a completely newsworthy topic.  i learned this during my time at MU in the Broadcast Journalism department.  

And I learned during my time at MU in Psych 101 that adrenalin can cause people to do crazy things...

Big deal.

So if the fans are concerned enough to write on chatboards on Buzz' choice of shoes this week, should that be news worthy? Or how about Buzz' breakfast this morning... I mean after all don't we all want to eat the breakfast of champions?

Just because 8 people on a chat board write about it, it's worth talking about?
Reminds me of a Family Guy episode...

FCC Suit 1: Gentlemen, we got 20 calls about the David Hyde-Pierce incident. And as you know, one call equals a billion people, which means 20 billion people were offended by this. Needless to say, something must be done.

Laughable

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2009, 04:33:20 PM »
People saying it was no big deal obviously didn't hear the interview.  Mac asked a very basic, unthreatening question, and Buzz went on what seemed like a 2-minute rant, ripping Mac up and down Wisconsin Ave.  Absolutely no justification for that,

A misunderstanding is no justification? Perhaps a mistake? God forbid he misunderstands a question. And God forbid that certain subjects are touchy matters from the all humble Buzz Williams.

Gag

reinko

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
And I learned during my time at MU in Psych 101 that adrenalin can cause people to do crazy things...

Big deal.

So if the fans are concerned enough to write on chatboards on Buzz' choice of shoes this week, should that be news worthy? Or how about Buzz' breakfast this morning... I mean after all don't we all want to eat the breakfast of champions?

Reminds me of a Family Guy episode...

FCC Suit 1: Gentlemen, we got 20 calls about the David Hyde-Pierce incident. And as you know, one call equals a billion people, which means 20 billion people were offended by this. Needless to say, something must be done.

Laughable

+1,000,000

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
A misunderstanding is no justification? Perhaps a mistake? God forbid he misunderstands a question. And God forbid that certain subjects are touchy matters from the all humble Buzz Williams.

Gag

I'm guessing you didn't hear the interview.  If you had, you might have a different opinion.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »
People are calling in a ton and asking about this on ESPN 540 right now... a few people sound really pissed

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »

I feel safe suggesting one of two things happened here:

1. There's more to the story than we know.
2. There was a basic misunderstanding of the question and Buzz's understanding led him to be substantially offended by it.

I say that because, based on what we've seen and heard from the guy for the past nine months, there's nothing to suggest that he's a raging prick. A little high-strung and emotional, perhaps, but not the second coming of Bob Knight or John Chaney (or Lon Chaney, for that matter).
That being the case, I would say that yes, this really is no big deal.
A big deal is getting busted for recruiting violations.
A big deal is having a tutor write your players' term papers.
A big deal is being caught getting it on with a co-ed.
A big deal is coddling players who commit criminal acts while part of the program.
A big deal is trying to cover up the murder of one of your players.

Having a blow up with a radio host? Not a big deal.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:42:19 PM by Pakuni »

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
maybe Buzz wants to leave and is setting it up so he can go to Mississippi! ?-(

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
perhaps because winning is the BIGGER story than this garble?

It certainly is, and that is why I said it has nothing to do with this thread.  Feel free to contribute to the NUMEROUS other threads that are pertaining to MU's success.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
MU 06, if you are not Buzz's agent/attorney, you should expeditiously apply.

muole

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »
the difference here is that buzz's shoes and choice of breakfast food don't involve another MU alum/broadcaster and hunderds of thousands of watts of transmission power.  if you think im wrong check out the other MU blogs (already).  i gaurantee you this will be addressed in some form by the mainstream media.

stop acting like a badger fan.  it's okay if our guys slip up once and awhile but to not call them on it is not being honest with them or yourself.  i appreciate when people call me on my BS.  

Warrior4Ever

• Walk-On
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »
I guess I heard a different interview. What I heard said was, "Playoffs?? Playoffs??? You want to know about playoffs???? Playoffs????"

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »
I'm guessing you didn't hear the interview.  If you had, you might have a different opinion.

Whether I heard it or not, that's not the issue. The issue is, it is VERY possible that Buzz misunderstood. You would agree that this was out of character for Buzz yes? If so, then there has to be a reason for it. Last I checked, individuals don't rip into members of the media for no reason.

There are two sides to every story. I'm just proposing possible scenarios for Buzz' side to the story.
1- It could have been a misunderstanding
2- He have have heard the question wrong (I guess that's the same as #1)
3- It may have been a sore subject that Buzz was tired of hearing about. Maybe he hates hearing how overrated we are
4- Maybe he just felt like being a dick

If the answer to the scenario is #4, then yeah, give him crap all you want because it was not called for and there's no reason to be a dick after a big win like that. But I highly doubt that's the case. Therefore give the guy some slack. Sure, it was uncalled for but calling for his head is no response.

EDITED:

06.. calm yourself down, or I will do it for you.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:57:51 PM by mu_hilltopper »

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »
I agree - tough to listen to.  I kept waiting for us listeners to be brought in on the joke...but it never came and was very cold for the rest of the interview.  Props to Mac as he didn't totally back down, but didn't escalate the situation either.  I'll chalk this goof of buzz's up to adrenaline, inexperience and likely some additional pressure as our winning streak gets longer.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
Thank you Hilltopper.  I believe it's Buzz's relative.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2009, 04:49:16 PM »
 if you think im wrong check out the other MU blogs (already).  i gaurantee you this will be addressed in some form by the mainstream media.

stop acting like a badger fan.  it's okay if our guys slip up once and awhile but to not call them on it is not being honest with them or yourself.  i appreciate when people call me on my BS.  

I checked the blogs. Nothing that I see. No word on this travesty of the year. You will guarantee me this will be addressed by the mainstream media? This slip up? Not the win? Alright, I will hold you to it.

Read my last post. I think if he just felt like ripping into him it was uncalled for. But if it was a misunderstanding he deserves a little slack. Sure, he doesn't get a free pass for acting like a dick, but I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. People here are acting like he meant to do this, and just felt like ripping Mac a new one. I'm sure it was a misunderstanding and I'm sure it'll be cleared up between the two.

Just relax- wooosaaaah

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »
Thank you Hilltopper.  I believe it's Buzz's relative.

lol. Good one. I can laugh at that :)

muole

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
hey '06 - here's an example....

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/forums/t/71177.aspx

and if they are talking about it on ESPN radio, it's already gettin mainstream media play.

as hilltopper said.  "if you don't calm yourself, i'll do it for you." ;D

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 04:55:30 PM »
I agree - tough to listen to.  I kept waiting for us listeners to be brought in on the joke...but it never came and was very cold for the rest of the interview.  Props to Mac as he didn't totally back down, but didn't escalate the situation either.  I'll chalk this goof of buzz's up to adrenaline, inexperience and likely some additional pressure as our winning streak gets longer.

I agree 100%. I think the pressure builds as this team continues to win. We have to remember that everyone in the media (majority at least) have been calling MU very overrated. I don't blame them, as of all the other teams in the BE who are doing well, MU has played the least of those top teams. However, seeing them play and just looking at their schedule and results are 2 different things.

People calling MU overrated this and that is a huge slap in the face to Buzz. His first year coaching a legitimate team in D1 and he's got them undefeated in their conference and people are jabbing at his ability to coach. I'd be kind of touchy on that subject too if I were him. He knows how hard he works at this job, no one else.

Sure, Mac wasn't criticizing him. Buzz answered a completely different question, if he answered one at all in his rant. It was clear he did not understand what was being asked. And yes, I did hear the interview. I was shocked and I was thinking to myself, what the heck's gotten into him!? But I think we all know him better than to assume he meant to do that.

There are two sides to every story, and perhaps we should wait until/if we hear Buzz' side before making conclusions? That's all I'm trying to say here... seems reasonable to me

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2009, 04:58:12 PM »

Big deal.

8 people?????  Way more than 8 people.  This is way larger than the game right now.  Thats all anyone wants to talk about on the radio.  Thats all my friends want to talk about.  This was a huge mistake by Buzz no ifs ands or buts about it.  ANd I know where you are coming from but Buzz needs to apologize as soon as possible and get this attention back on the team and not his blowup.  

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »
hey '06 - here's an example....

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/forums/t/71177.aspx

and if they are talking about it on ESPN radio, it's already gettin mainstream media play.

That's hardly mainstream media... but thanks for showing the one other message board talking about this. If you look, someone has already posted saying it must be a misunderstanding. I don't doubt more message boards will be discussing this topic. But you did guarantee that this would receive mainstream media play. I disagree. This will be cleared up pretty quickly between those two, if it isn't already.

You can't call ESPN radio mainstream media... It happened there, they're talking about it there. I look forward to watching the news later, or reading the paper tomorrow about this awful thing Buzz did in the post game interview. I won't hold my breath
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:00:27 PM by MUWarriors06 »

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
I checked the blogs. Nothing that I see. No word on this travesty of the year. You will guarantee me this will be addressed by the mainstream media? This slip up? Not the win? Alright, I will hold you to it.

Read my last post. I think if he just felt like ripping into him it was uncalled for. But if it was a misunderstanding he deserves a little slack. Sure, he doesn't get a free pass for acting like a dick, but I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. People here are acting like he meant to do this, and just felt like ripping Mac a new one. I'm sure it was a misunderstanding and I'm sure it'll be cleared up between the two.

Just relax- wooosaaaah

Your obviously not listening to ESPN540 because that has been 70 percent of the conversation.