'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: buzz and homer  (Read 51916 times)

MUWarrior06

• Starter
Re: buzz and homer
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 03:58:53 PM »
Wow can 10 more people ask the same question?

Man...

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 03:59:33 PM »
My wife and I were driving home and heard the interview.  Two words come to mind, "temporary insanity."  Both our jaws dropped during his response.

Big black mark in the wife's book.  I'll give Buzz the benefit of the doubt, but if I had come across Buzz Williams on a street corner ranting in that manner I would have crossed the street and headed in the other direction. ?-(

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
Maybe its just me but I'd rather have a coach who is upfront about how he feels than one who sugar coats everything that come out of his mouth.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »
It was a Tom Crean-esque @$$ hole move on the part of Buzz.  He needs to apologize.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »
If we want to hear it again, we could try and get Bill Johnson to replay it on the postgame on ESPN 540... email him at bjohnson@espnmilwaukee.com

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »
Funny thing is, everyone gives him crap when he is overly kind to the other coaches, commenting on how great they are and how he's not as good as them... then when he actually takes the sugar coat off and shows some balls and does something like this, people get on his case.

Make up your mind.

Chances are it was a misunderstanding or maybe it was a touchy subject. No reason to get on the guy's case for it. Sheesh.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 04:06:12 PM »
Maybe its just me but I'd rather have a coach who is upfront about how he feels than one who sugar coats everything that come out of his mouth.

I'm not sure what this has to do with TC.  I've supported Buzz since they announced his hire, but I won't support his decision to be a prick on the radio.  

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »
Totally flew off the handle and definitely not deserved.  Buzz really needs to offer an on-air apology to Mac and claim temporary insanity.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
I'm not sure what this has to do with TC.  I've supported Buzz since they announced his hire, but I won't support his decision to be a prick on the radio.  

He's 8-0 in the Big East, Top 10, maybe borderline top 5 in the nation now. He can be a prick all he wants to some news beat writer as long as he puts up wins.

We all know that's not his nature, so why get on his case for one slip up? Man, you guys are brutal. Cut the guy some slack. It's like you forum trolls want to pick and prod at something so badly you'll cling to anything

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
I'm not sure I can convey how insane Buzz Williams sounded during his response.  He lit up Mac for no apparent reason.  Didn't even seem like Buzz heard the question.

I'll cut him some slack because we all have bad days and act inappropriate, but it was unreal.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
Buzz really needs to offer an on-air apology to Mac and claim temporary insanity.

::) :D :D :D :D

an on-air apology? Too funny

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
He's 8-0 in the Big East, Top 10, maybe borderline top 5 in the nation now. He can be a prick all he wants to some news beat writer as long as he puts up wins.

We all know that's not his nature, so why get on his case for one slip up? Man, you guys are brutal. Cut the guy some slack. It's like you forum trolls want to pick and prod at something so badly you'll cling to anything

Why don't you go back and count the number of posts where I've said bad things about Buzz...you'll find the answer to be exactly zero prior to the end of today's game.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »
+1 didnt we beat Gtown today and all you fans can think about is this gaffe?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
Why don't you go back and count the number of posts where I've said bad things about Buzz...you'll find the answer to be exactly zero prior to the end of today's game.

It was a generalization... To everyone...  ::)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »

Saying Mac is "some news beat writer" displays a LOT of ignorance.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »
+1 didnt we beat Gtown today and all you fans can think about is this gaffe?

THANK YOU!

Finally someone with some damn brains.

We beat two top 25 teams, are 8-0 going into the easiest part of our conference schedule this next 5 game stretch here and everyone is all up in arms over one answer Buzz gave that was most likely a misunderstanding!

Talk about the win, not about a slip up post game interview. This was obviously out of character for him, cut him some slack.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
I am more pissed than Buzz.  Get real people
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 04:14:16 PM »
Saying Mac is "some news beat writer" displays a LOT of ignorance.

Hanging on Buzz' every word and giving him a hard time for the ONE SINGLE bad thing he's ever said in an interview this season displays a LOT of ignorance as well

Get a life

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
There is "winning," and then there is "winning with class."  

It's nice MU beat Georgetown, but the win is not a license to act insane.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
Totally flew off the handle and definitely not deserved.  Buzz really needs to offer an on-air apology to Mac and claim temporary insanity.

Followed perhaps by a pre-game self-flaggellation at center court and three days in stocks outside the Al.

How would some of you sensitive sorts have survived a tenure of Bob Knight as head coach? Or - gasp! - a coach who got into fisticuffs with his own players.
I didn't hear it, but from the description I would suppose it wasn't one of Buzz's finer moments. Who cares?

turk17

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
I agree that we should be focusing on the win but I was really taken back by this comment from Buzz - perhaps not so much that he was mad but in the way that he almost called out Jimmy Mc's loyalty to Marquette.  There are plenty of clowns out there that can have their loyalty questioned, but McIlvane?  Really?

The only way that I can rationalize this is that Buzz must have misinterpreted the question due to the adrenaline, noise, etc.  I think maybe he took his comments as, "how are you keeping the guys focused when the media keeps saying that you guys haven't proven yourselves, haven't played the meat of the conference?" thing and so on.  I'm a young alum, but as for me, I wanted to ask Buzz, "do you know who the hell you're talking to here?"

I mean, McIlvane played with the band at an MU women's game.  Are you sure you wanna call him out?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
I haven't heard the interview, but what some of you as described as "unreal", "insane", "surreal"...I am think he must have dropped some racial bombs or something.

Apparently some natives are getting restless.

BTW, we are undefeated in conference play.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
Great Win today!

Buzz is an emotional guy.  We all know that.   Mac asks a version of this question every game.  It must get old.

Buzz will calm down and they will kiss and make up.

Quit treating him like he is Bobby Knight tossing a chair.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »
To be honest it was kinda surreal.  Mac did not say anything after that, and once Buzz was done with his rant, Homer kinda took control.  It was awkward to be sure.  I strongly suspect it was a misunderstanding of the question on Buzz's part and that he and Mac will discuss this off air and be fine.  In the big scheme of things, not a big deal.  But as I listened to it live, I was kinda thinking WTF is this?

-SERocks

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »
I'm not sure what winning or losing has to do with this thread?

feedback