Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: buzz and homer  (Read 51899 times)

muole

• Starter
buzz and homer
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
did anyone hear the post-game interview?  buzz sounded pissed at Mac for a seemingly innocent question.  does he think he's Bo Ryan or something?

KC_Warrior

• Starter
Buzz vs. Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
Did anyone just hear that?  Buzz went after McIlvaine on the post game show.  I was only kind of half listening.  Can someone elaborate on what was said?

KC_Warrior

• Starter
Re: buzz and homer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »
I heard the same thing.  Not sure what Mac said that pissed Buzz off.

avid1010

• All American
Buzz Bustin' Mac
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »
Just listening to the post game radio show in the background, and all of a sudden Buzz is going rough on Mac.  Anyone catch what question he asked.  Really, Buzz came off like nothing more than a jerk...

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Buzz just kind of chastised Jim Maclavaine in the post game interview for asking a question as to how Buzz keeps the team so focussed now that they are getting ranked higher and higher.  Maybe he misinterpreted the question but the question was in no way meant as critical of Buzz or his players. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »
just posted the same thing...  did Buzz misunderstand Mac because it sounded like what Buzz was getting at was the same thing Mac was??

MUDPT

• All American
I agree, I have no idea why Buzz was so upset.  Maybe he's been hearing from other sources, how "lucky" we are, etc..

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
Yeah, not sure why Buzz went off like that.  It was a seemingly innocent question from Mac.

downtown85

• All American
Re: Buzz Bustin' Mac
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:39:42 PM »
The question was:  Now that the team is 8-0 in the Big East and on an 11-0 run and ranked 8th in the country, what do you do as a coach to not let the notoriety go to the players heads and keep the team focussed.  (I am paraphrasing it) 

94Warrior

• All American
Was Buzz kidding?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
On the post game show he just tore Jimmy Mac a new one for simply asking how he keeps the guys focused.

Buzz essentially said he was disappointed in him even asking the question.  And expects for from an MU employee.  I took it as a joke at first, but Mac sounded like he was caught off guard, and nobody was laughing.  It was brutal.   ?-(

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
In what way did Buzz respond?

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
He flew off the handle and said he was surprised Mac as a former MU player would ask him something like that.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »
Buzz said why don't you ask questions about how we prepared and performed in THIS game.  Or how a group of undersized guys continue to work hard, focus, and get better everyday.

Mac was simply taking a peek ahead in the schedule, and Buzz didn't think a former player or MU announcer should do such a terrible thing.  It was real uncomfortable.  ?-(

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
Mac continues to be very classy, but it was BS response from Buzz at any rate.  I've never known Mac to do anything but positive for MU.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 03:44:34 PM »
That was surreal.  Buzz was totally flying off the handle.  He'll need to apologize for that .. no excuse, especially after a win.  ESPECIALLY on the radio or TV.  What was he thinking.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 03:46:11 PM »
Maybe we dont know the whole story.  But who cares we just whipped georgetown
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »
For a question like "remaining focused"?  Strange, especially after a huge win.  Maybe someone can stream it later.  No negative waves please Buzz.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
Buzz said why don't you ask questions about how we prepared and performed in THIS game.  Or how a group of undersized guys continue to work hard, focus, and get better everyday.

Mac was simply taking a peek ahead in the schedule, and Buzz didn't think a former player or MU announcer should do such a terrible thing.  It was real uncomfortable.  ?-(

I don't think he (Mac) was looking ahead.  In fact, he was asking how he'd keep them focused for the next game.  I'm wondering if he wasn't more ticked that Mac just wasn't giving credit to the players.  In my opinion, then Buzz should arrange for the players to do the interview after the game.

muole

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »
buzz's first slip-up.  soon he'll realize the MU community loves him but will call him out on any BS like this.

great game buzz.  crappy interview.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »
Seems like Buzz was taking a page from his old bud Gillespie!
man, uncalled for imo.

Mac stayed pretty quiet after that.

too bad buzz tarnished a pretty good win in that fashion..
asking Mac who employs him?  maybe he should be proud of the guys instead of asking that pretty benign question???

wow.
 :-\

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
Buzz is no shrinking violet. Really ripped Mac a new one. Said Mac should be talking about the heart and character of this team. His response must have boiled over from some other incident. BTW, now 296 days on the job.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mdubs

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
I think all Buzz was trying to say was--

THEY WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »
Maybe some have doubted him all year and now they want to know how he will deal with success instead of congratulating the team for a job well done.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
yes, it was strange to have such negative response after such a nice victory.  maybe Buzz is feeling stress or a lot of pressure from the increased (national) media attention. This was not a stupid or hostile question.  He will need to deal politely with very stupid and hostile questions from (national) reporters who cannot even spell his players names correctly.  i am surprised buzz would react in such a way as he has always been very polite to everyone around him.    

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »
Maybe some have doubted him all year and now they want to know how he will deal with success instead of congratulating the team for a job well done.

Unless by "some" you mean Mac, then there was absolutely no need for Buzz to be a prick...