[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How do we keep Buzz  (Read 16018 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: How do we keep Buzz
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
You're worried about losing Buzz to a school like Baylor, Houston, SMU, or TCU?

Really?

+1

If Buzz wants to make a downward move then I don't think he's the right man for the job anyway.

Also, why would Izzo even think about going to AZ?  That's a lateral move at best and he is from Michigan.  The only place Izzo is leaving MSU for is either the association or the retirement home.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:01:42 PM by jmayer1 »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »
Few, Dixon, Izzo and others will be considered. Izzo is going to be interesting.

And Arizona drafts coaches the way an NBA team picks graduating seniors.

Or how about this"

Because Few, Izzo and Dixon are just chomping at the bit for a better offer which never seems to come.

We've been talking about Izzo moving on for seven or eight years now.  Same with Few.  Dixon has only been on the "going to jump after this year" for only four years.   

If you think the same guys who have not moved for any other opeing over the last five years are all of a sudden going to jump for Arizona, then fine.  I'm assuming that they're no more interested in Arizona than they were in Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana etc. 

But if Few, or Izzo or Dixon for some reason ARE interested, I'll admit that Arizona would hire them first. 

Can we move on to the next point?  I'm assuming that Few, Izzo and Dixon stay put.  Who's next on the list?  All of last year's hot names have flamed out.  I doubt that Brad Brownell is on anybody's short list this year.  Ditto with Chris Lowrey.  Ditto with Avery Grant.

So if AZ can't draft their "name" coach, who ARE they going to look at? 

I say that there is a strong chance that Buzz is on that list.  Nobody has yet to name anyone more likely.

To demonstrate how short the list is, let me ask this:  If Buzz SHOULD leave MU after this year, who would be on YOUR short list for MU to hire? 

I know.  I know.  Dixon, Few and Izzo. 

Who's next?

Not so easy anymore, is it?   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
Seth Davis has some names....as well as a take on DePaul....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/01/21/mailbag/index.html?eref=T1
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 10:29:52 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if this thread is more ridiculous than the fire Buzz thread. Should we take a poll?

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 10:41:14 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if this thread is more ridiculous than the fire Buzz thread. Should we take a poll?

Both are equally ridiculous...

But what are message boards for?  This is the home of the lunatic fringe of MU BBall fans.

Yes, I am a self-loathing message board geek.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
Take a look at the comment credibility thread and see MVIALE's comments about 3 year olds. He also happens to be the same individual who started this thread.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »

MU fans have been trained like pavlov turning the Crean years.  Good year = our coach might leave.

You must have slept through the Deane and O'Neil years.  :)

Deane was looking "to be near his parents" by his 2nd year.  O'Neill's name was floated as a big-time candidate after 3 seasons. 

If anything, Crean was more loyal than his predecessors with only elite level programs getting serious consideration (KU, UK, Indiana twice).  O'Neill makes a Sweet 16, and he's off to Tennessee.  Crean makes the Final Four, and re-signs to stay at Marquette.  Complain about his loyalty all you want, he never seriously considered leaving for a program like Tennessee or Florida State--and he certainly had plenty of opportunities at like programs during the five years between the Final Four and leaving for Indiana. 

I would hope that Buzz would stay at MU rather than run off to a similar or lesser program.  But we've had previous coaches toy with Florida State and Tennessee--which I think most here would consider a lateral move at best. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »

If anything, Crean was more loyal than his predecessors with only elite level programs getting serious consideration (KU, UK, Indiana twice). 

This is just a flat out lie. Crean was begging Illinois to hire him directly after the Final Four. Their AD and the people involved in the search couldn't stand the smarmy jerkoff. They are obviously good judges of character. He also inquired into the Virginia job and had Andy Katz float his name for the Ohio State job.

Kansas never considered him and neither did Kentucky, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Neither did Indiana the first time around.

And perhaps you can explain the contract offer he received from Arkansas? Did that materialize out of thin air or were there discussions? Do you think Arkansas is in the business of throwing out contract offers without previous contact?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
This is just a flat out lie. Crean was begging Illinois to hire him directly after the Final Four. Their AD and the people involved in the search couldn't stand the smarmy jerkoff. They are obviously good judges of character. He also inquired into the Virginia job and had Andy Katz float his name for the Ohio State job.

Kansas never considered him and neither did Kentucky, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Neither did Indiana the first time around.

And perhaps you can explain the contract offer he received from Arkansas? Did that materialize out of thin air or were there discussions? Do you think Arkansas is in the business of throwing out contract offers without previous contact?

What I'm trying to say is that your girlfriend was getting serviced by everybody in the neighborhood, while you were getting ready to buy her more expensive jewelry.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »
YES, PRN IS BACK!!!

CaptainHavoc

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
Funny, one thread wants him fired, the other wants to figure out how to keep him.  Very Mike Davis like. 

Maybe we could offer him some sweet tea.........I've heard he likes it

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »
This is just a flat out lie. Crean was begging Illinois to hire him directly after the Final Four.

Speaking of flat out lies. . . .

Their AD and the people involved in the search couldn't stand the smarmy jerkoff.

Of which you've been able to cite exactly *zero* examples to date.

Did you think I'd forget?  You run off and cower under a rock for months, hoping you wouldn't be called out on this.

He also inquired into the Virginia job and had Andy Katz float his name for the Ohio State job.

Here's Katz' article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1821994

Sure sounds like Katz was floating Bob Knight's name for the Ohio State job: "He would listen if Ohio State Called"   Katz said that about Knight--not Crean.

I'm sure you believe that Herb Sendek, That Matta, and Gary Waters ALSO had Andy Katz float their names. 

Because Katz is too stupid to come up with ideas on his own for possible coaching replacements.

And on one hand we're to believe that Katz checks his articles for Crean's approval before filing them, yet for a job that Crean supposedly wanted, Katz included Crean as an also ran to Knight, with three other rivals (and ultimate victor) cited in the same article.

Let's face facts:  Katz writes about college basketball, and citing Tom Crean as a candidate for a coaching vacancy is as predictable as citing Mark Few or Tony Bennett or Sean Miller.   Katz doesn't need Crean to tell him anything, any more than he needs Bennett or Miller or Few.

In fact, here's an article where Katz comments on 37 different coaching vacancies. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2834962

Somehow Katz managed to find something to say about each of them without any direction from Tom Crean.  Almost as if Katz knows something about college basketball. 

Who said anything about whether the feelings were reciprocal?

I said Crean was only serious about Kansas, Kentucky and Indiana (twice).  If Kansas considered him, I suspect he would have gone.  Ditto with UK.  Ditto the first time at Indiana.

I don't suspect he was serious about Virginia or Arkansas.

I believe I counted 54 openings at Big Six conference programs between 2003 and time Crean left for IU.  The only jobs Crean was serious about were elite level programs--not perennial bottom division programs like Tennessee or Florida State.

My guess is the call went something like this:

Arkansas AD to Izzo:
"Hello Tom, we need to you pass a message to your friend Tom Crean.  Tell him that Arkansas is prepared to offer him up to $2 million a year on a ten year deal."

BTW, you're confusing contract with offer.  Crean didn't even have a contract with Indiana until August 18--over 4 months after he accepted the job.

A contract is not the first step--its the last.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:16:55 PM by Marquette84 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2009, 10:10:20 AM »

Deane was looking "to be near his parents" by his 2nd year.  O'Neill's name was floated as a big-time candidate after 3 seasons. 

If anything, Crean was more loyal than his predecessors with only elite level programs getting serious consideration (KU, UK, Indiana twice).  O'Neill makes a Sweet 16, and he's off to Tennessee.  Crean makes the Final Four, and re-signs to stay at Marquette.  Complain about his loyalty all you want, he never seriously considered leaving for a program like Tennessee or Florida State--and he certainly had plenty of opportunities at like programs during the five years between the Final Four and leaving for Indiana. 

I would hope that Buzz would stay at MU rather than run off to a similar or lesser program.  But we've had previous coaches toy with Florida State and Tennessee--which I think most here would consider a lateral move at best. 

So you're saying TC would only cheat on his wife with someone prettier or richer than her and this says something positive about his character. Interesting.

feedback