Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dashonte Riley  (Read 25886 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Dashonte Riley
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »
DaShonte Riley giant heads in the student section?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »

Am I wrong or won't we still have Acker in backup capacity to Caudogan(sp)?

not only that but if need be, Buycks also can play point, which would give us a 6'6" 2 guard on the floor in Erik Williams/Lazar. With Buzz's offense it's better to have multiple guys with some size that can shoot or drive anyway which is one reason why Zar and Wesley are having such good years.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »
DaShonte Riley giant heads in the student section?

Ha, legally I don't know if that is allowed.  but if it is wouldnt be a bad idea

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 09:01:04 PM »
Ha, legally I don't know if that is allowed.  but if it is wouldnt be a bad idea

Don't see why it wouldn't be. As long as the University isn't printing/providing them, I would guess.

Badgerhater920

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

Not sure if it was legal or not, but I've seen it done before at other schools with big time recruits visiting. Students, get back early from break and fill up the Gold Rush. Gotta have a raucous crowd for DeShonte!

MUteamball98

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
warrior forever...

i guess i could look this up, but where in ann arbor is the game and what time.  will you have mu gear on?  depending on how my two little ones are holding up i may try to swing over and catch the game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 09:26:05 PM »
I'm almost positive it'd be fine as long as it wasn't paid for or produced by MU.

If we could fashion laptops for Marcus Williams... this is doable.  :P

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
The laptops were classic.  I know he saw them.

For our players, I like how the students have signs/signals for the starters.  I keep waiting for them to all put on goggles when OTule checks into the game. 
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »
I kind of think all the "signs" for the players is cheesy.  I mean if we could think of something more creative for each player rather than holding up a letter or number it might be cooler, but the options are limited.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
I don't know about the big heads, but I would think they're ok.  The whole fan involvement thing that UK had to report a secondary violation for was because the fans actually contacted him through his Myspace page.  As I interpret it, holding up a big head is just holding up a big head.  Holding up a sign that says "Dashonte, we love you. Come to MU" would probably be where you cross the line.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »
As much as I would love a 5 star C at MU, I don't think we need a headcase on the team.  I think Buzz has enough on his plate with the three amigos leaving and developing a young team.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Mufflers

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 11:02:11 PM »
MU students who had a Femme sign during his visit were put in the front row of the student section.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 12:02:53 AM »
Old Article (12/17): http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/notebook?page=hallpass/081217

Riley Has A Different Outlook On The Recruiting Process

By Brendan Murphy
ESPN.com

DaShonte Riley had the requisite measurables to be the next big thing at Big Man U.

The 6-foot-11 senior center from Detroit Country Day is an eraser on the defensive end. And although his offensive game is a work in progress, with a few years of college seasoning, Riley could have All-American potential.

But weeks before he was to sign the national letter of intent to play for Georgetown University and coach John Thompson III and join a fraternity of power posts such as Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning, Riley got cold feet. The senior said he had hesitations because he made a rookie mistake.

"It wasn't that we didn't get along or anything," Riley said. "You know, [Thompson] is a cool guy and a good coach. In the end, I didn't think that we saw eye to eye on my goals and what they had planned for me. That's because of a lack of communication."

Now, one game into his senior season, Riley is back on the recruiting market. Although the scholarship offer from Georgetown still stands, Riley plans to go a different direction. He's looking at Virginia, Marquette, LSU, Cal, South Florida and Syracuse.

"I am just looking for the best situation," he said. "I want to have a good relationship with the coaches and the staff. I don't want my experience in college to be a passing experience. I want to go out and really enjoy myself and get better when I am at college."

To excel at the college level, Riley will need to add considerable bulk to his long frame.

He's come a long way from his sophomore year, when he tired easily and struggled to stay on the court for long stretches. His conditioning has improved steadily each year, and he spent time with a trainer this past summer. Country Day coach Kurt Kenner believes Riley is in the best shape of his life.

"When he first got here, he had a hard time sustaining any effort," Kenner said. "He was a tall, thin kid, and he would fatigue [quickly]. … I've seen him mature, I think a lot of it has to do with his commitment to physical development."

When Riley has taken the court this season, he's had an agenda. Although he averaged 10.6 points, 12.5 rebounds and 8.6 blocks per a game as a junior, some people weren't all that impressed. He's heard Internet scuttlebutt and chants from opposing fans that he's overrated. As a senior, he's out to show his doubters that he has the talent to take over games and help Country Day to its eighth state title in 20 years.

"This is, I guess, my last chance in high school to prove that I am as good as I have been hyped up to be in past years," he said. "I think it's real important this year to go out and prove myself."

As part of his maturation as a player and a person, he said he won't let external criticism get in his head.

"Honestly, sometimes it does bother me," he said. "You just have to preserve and use it as motivation. I try not to read most of that stuff, but you just have to use it against them. It bothered me in past years, but I've learned just to forget about that stuff and just play basketball."

It's not that Riley doesn't have the skills. Kenner raves about Riley's passing ability and surprising range. But Riley is a bit timid with the ball. In fact, the coach said Riley's unselfish play at times poses a hindrance to his success.

"He possesses all the tools to be a 20- to 25-point scorer, but he's not assertive," Kenner said. "Part of it is his personality. He'd just as well see somebody else succeed as himself, so he'll pass."

Keener has coached many talented players, including Chris Weber and Shane Battier, through the years. He believes Riley's ability is among the best he's seen. In Kenner's eye, part of Riley's growth is about convincing him he's worth the hype.

"Sometimes I don't think he believes he's as good a player as those who watch him see," Kenner said. "DaShonte's a bit of an enigma. You can watch him on the summer circuit or in some of our games, and he'll be fantastic. And there will be other games where he's the invisible man at 7 feet tall almost."

Country Day's success depends on more than just Riley. In fact, the Yellow Jackets, who are ranked No. 22 in the ESPN RISE FAB 50, boast a frontcourt that also includes Division I prospects Jordan Dumars, who is the son of NBA standout Joe and is bound for South Florida, and Miami-bound forward Donnovan Kirk. The catalyst for the team's success will be point guard Ray McCallum. A junior who transferred in from Indiana, McCallum is garnering interest from programs such as Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

All the talent on the Yellow Jackets' roster takes some pressure off Riley. Any one of the team's starters is capable of stepping up on any given night.

"We've got a pretty good balanced team," Kenner said. "Because he's not a real assertive guy offensively, I am not sure that the other guys would see him as the top scoring option."

To leave a legacy at a program like Country Day, Riley knows that he must have a championship mentality every night. He believes that momentum should carry over to the next level.

"I gotta play hard night in and night out," he said. "I've had a lot of games where I regret that I didn't play harder in high school. I want to make sure I don't have any of that in college."

And to boot...

One of his top 5 movies...

3. "Hoop Dreams"
"This one relates to me as these ball players not only have to dedicate their time to improving their game, but also to religion and academics."

Let MU be blessed to have a skilled big man who can help lead us to the promised land!
SS Marquette

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 01:49:52 AM »

Am I wrong or won't we still have Acker in backup capacity to Caudogan(sp)?

Nope, Acker won't be here in 2010.  He is a senior next year.  Buycks will be, but he will be a senior in 2010.  I think it is imperative to get a PG in 2010 and I have heard Buzz say as much (can't remember where though). 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 03:11:25 AM »
Nope, Acker won't be here in 2010.  He is a senior next year.  Buycks will be, but he will be a senior in 2010.  I think it is imperative to get a PG in 2010 and I have heard Buzz say as much (can't remember where though). 

Well we definitely need a backup for 2010, but I think the comments were about next year, which we will have at least 2 PG in Cadougan and Acker and then a capable Buycks who can run the point when they're out.  But wow getting Riley is almost too good to be true.  I really hope it happens....can you say #1 draft class

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »
can you say #1 draft class

Well, I think it would put us close to the top five, but it certainly wouldn't put us at #1.  UNC has had that wrapped up for a while now.  I think they have like 5 top 100 recruits of which several are in the top 20. 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 09:57:59 AM »
we definitely wouldn;t pass Nova either.  4 recruits all in the top 35.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »
it is all relative...put it this way we have had 4 top 100 recruits carry us for 4 years now. Novak and the 3 amigos 4 years ago and Lazar and the 3 amigos the last 3.  add to them a roster of stumble bums and we have still done realtively well.  this class would have 5 top 100 kids.  Now unless Buzz goes out and signs Crean like class the next two year we will actually have a bench.  ( when I refer to Crean like classes i am referring to christophersons, bells, burkes, amaroso, berkowitzs, hazels and the like....1 star type recruits.  two more years of 3 and 4 star recruits and we should take a step up in the BE pecking order.  He should also be able to really recruit the guard spots to ahigh degree of recruit becuase there is definitely PT available, the Bigs and f's not so much.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
Hayward - stumblebums?  a bit much aren't you?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »
The last time I saw the word "stumblebum" on a Marquette message board it came from....

Murff. So Hayward is Murff and RedWebster is PRN?

It ALL makes sense now!
  :P

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
it is all relative...put it this way we have had 4 top 100 recruits carry us for 4 years now. Novak and the 3 amigos 4 years ago and Lazar and the 3 amigos the last 3.  add to them a roster of stumble bums and we have still done realtively well.  this class would have 5 top 100 kids.  Now unless Buzz goes out and signs Crean like class the next two year we will actually have a bench.  ( when I refer to Crean like classes i am referring to christophersons, bells, burkes, amaroso, berkowitzs, hazels and the like....1 star type recruits.  two more years of 3 and 4 star recruits and we should take a step up in the BE pecking order.  He should also be able to really recruit the guard spots to ahigh degree of recruit becuase there is definitely PT available, the Bigs and f's not so much.

Hey dude, sign me up for this.

I wish/hope/pray it's that easy.

I can think of a million things that can go wrong with that plan, but I like your optimism (and the peyote that you are smoking).

augoman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
Pakuni, very valid point; Crean couldn't close a big man.  I sat next to Nankivil and his parents at a game, got all excited that we had a shot, read a short time later that he was going to madison.  A visit means only that he might think about us- the close is the key.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »

which of these players that have been on our bench the last 3-4 years are not in the stumblebum category when it pertains to big east competiton and NCAA qualifying play....Blackledge, Lott, Christopherson, Kinsella, Hazel.  I could go on with barely marginal players that we should not have recruited but have been barely servicaeable but that is the stumblebum list and I am sure there are others I cannot think of off hand.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »
Hey, I hope you are right, Haywire.

I'm just not so sure that it's as easy as you make it seem.

I mean, MU recruits kids, they don't select kids (like USC in football or Duke in basketball).

MU is going to have to take some chances on mid ranked guys in the hopes that they blow-up and become starters or at least become solid bench players. (my assumption is that MU will continue to draw some top talent, just not top 5 classes every year).

I hope MU only signs top 75 guys from here on out, but I'm just not sure that it's going to happen.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2009, 02:36:58 PM »
i am not saying Mu is only going to sign top 75 kids, heck Buzz just signed Roseboro.  The issue with Tommy Naismith was he for whatever reason signed a abunch of 1 star kids.  Blackledge is a perfect example,  he was recruiting Lance stemler who had a poor at best career at Indiana and wiffed on him so he signed his teammate Blackledge who was a DIII player at best.  Kinsella Rice transfer, who I was told verbatim by a scout that that one shocked everyone.  the difference hopefully is if we miss on the 4 or 5 star kids is Buzz will fill the spot with a top 200 type kid and sure some of them and some of the top rated kids will not work out.  But how often does the 1 star kid work out?  Tommy Naismith fell in love with his press clipping on how he "made" DWade and felt he could do that with anybody.  also his recruitng was so poor that is he did not get his top kid he was left scrambling.