Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: thoughts on chris and joe  (Read 7317 times)

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
thoughts on chris and joe
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:52:37 PM »
Chris looked good offensively, showing some post moves and hitting some free throws. I didn't really see much defensively. He looked really tentative getting rebounds, trying to one hand tip one to himself and Lazar getting a couple more over him. He didn't go attack the ball in the air at all, instead letting the ball fall to him. He needs to become a better rebounder. Overall, i was happy and he will get better with time.

Joe. Kinda disappointed as i had high expectations for him. He did show a great flash on the rebound and putback. However, has no lateral quickness, and runs funny, he looks like he is gliding around. Also looked completely lost on defense. A couple times he followed a man out to the perimeter leaving his own man wide open by the hoop, once leading to an easy layup. He has a good looking skill set but, like Chris, needs more time.

They will obviously not be quick fixes but should provide solid help come February. One piece of good news is this was for sure Jimmy's best game. He looked comfortable and like he wanted to go score baskets.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: thoughts on chris and joe
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 06:49:10 AM »
Last night Hazel did some nice things too.

Otule and Fulce had some moments where you got an idea of what can be.  Otule is the biggest player I remember at Marquette since Lloyd Moore.  Fulce's put back in traffic showed determinaton.

Now it's time to play into shape.  This is all a matter of playing/practicing for meeting team goals in February and March.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
Originally my jaw dropped when seeing the last 5 games of our BEAST schedule this year.  But maybe it will be best for us since Joe, Jimmi, Chris will have gained more experience by then.  I say be patient with them.  It is clear they can play against the cream puffs.  Now they have to step up to play against the rough and ready BEAST.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 10:44:09 AM »
Originally my jaw dropped when seeing the last 5 games of our BEAST schedule this year.  But maybe it will be best for us since Joe, Jimmi, Chris will have gained more experience by then.  I say be patient with them.  It is clear they can play against the cream puffs.  Now they have to step up to play against the rough and ready BEAST.

what is clear about how Joe, Chris and Jimmy played is our lead was reduced by half in the last 10 mintes against a creampuff.  Which means they were outplayed by the hosstess cupcakes.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:57:01 AM »
All three freshmen were terrible last night.  I'd like to see a bit more from Jimmy Butler at this point, but wasn't surpised with Fulce and Otule.  It was just nice to see them on the court.  It will be interesting to see how they progress this year.  A lot rides on their ability to improve this year and next.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
Fulce looked like a slasher out there. I was impressed with his play. Over time he will get a lot better and be a key rebounder. He won't be anything amazing, but he gives us solid depth when he finally shakes off all the rust.

Otule everyone expected him to come out and have a huge presence on the court since we haven't had a legitimate center since the days of D-Wade with Robert Jackson. Ouse you can make a case for I guess, but he was nothing more than a glorified Scott Merritt.

I think the announcers were dead on when they said Otule is a player who can put on about 25 lbs and be a force in the middle. Unfortunately it would be nice to have that player now, but at least MU's future looks bright. I could see him having a nice impact on the game much like Robert Jackson did in 2002-03 by his senior year.

People are "disappointed" with their "high expectations," but both of these guys were seriously hurt where they had to shut it down completely to heal. This isn't like a shoulder/wrist/hand injury where you can still stay in shape. These guys looked rusty... that's fine, it was a great game to look rusty in. I wouldn't have such high expectations on a freshman who figures to see maybe 6 minutes a game against big east opponents, or a sophomore transfer who can rebound but will only see about 7-8 minutes himself.

Don't kid yourselves thinking these guys are going to give MU the lift and the inside presence to neutralize what they'll see in the big east. They will still need to rely heavily on their trio of senior guards to win games. These two coming back just allows them to not hurt so much when Burke or Hayward get into foul trouble against the big guys in the big east.

These two are not going to win games, nor are they going to be solid defensive players against the towers we'll be up against in the Big East. They give us depth at a position we sorely need, and they give us a bright outlook to the future of MU basketball after we lose the core of this team

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »
I was very impressed with Otule. First of all I understand that they have not been practicing and therefore did not expect much out of them for their first game. I looked at what Otule and Fulce could bring to this team. What impressed me about Otule will not show up in the box score and you would not have noticed it, if you were not at the game.(I do not think the TV cameras would have followed him.) We have a center that actually fights for offensive postion and calls for the ball. He did not score a basket, but ended up shooting 6 free throws. I cannot remember the last time we had a center that would fight for postion. I envision him averaging two offensive fouls a game just because he is constantly pushing the other center for position. He will force the other center to work. Fulce is closer to a two guard than a power forward.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 11:33:13 AM »
The other thing you would not have seen if you were not at the game early was that McMorrow was on the floor practicing during warm ups. He was moving easily and look fluid. Two home games ago he still had his crutches. the last home game he did not have his crutches, but was in a boot. This game he was on the floor practicing. So he is ahead of schedule.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »
The other thing you would not have seen if you were not at the game early was that McMorrow was on the floor practicing during warm ups. He was moving easily and look fluid. Two home games ago he still had his crutches. the last home game he did not have his crutches, but was in a boot. This game he was on the floor practicing. So he is ahead of schedule.

Good to know. He is redshirted so that won't mean much for MU this season... though good to know that he's healing quickly.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
Considering the amount of playing time all 3 of the new comers have had, I figure they are all right where they should be.

Jimmy is a "freshman" and shows some flashes, but is still a long way from maximizing his potential.  Also, don't underestimate the intimidation factor of playing behind the 3 senior Amigos. Hopefully he is paying attention and learning a ton. Jimmy's time will come.

All expectations for Otule and Fulce at the start of season cannot be used to judge them now.  This is a lost season for them as far as impact goes. The most we can expect is a few minutes to rest the starters. Anything more this year is a gift. They are just too fare behind and with the BEast season starting in a few weeks, no time to catch up. Hopefully they find a way to give a bit more, but expectation cannot be higher than that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »
Jimmy's a sophomore, but is contributing more as a sophomore JC transfer than Lott and Trend did as junior jc transfers. He will be a good player for us. I do not think he ever starts, but will be a highly valued 6th man the next two years.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 12:26:14 PM »

These are the number of free throws attemped by Barro last year in each game. He had 11 games in which he had no free throw attempts including the last one against Stanford. He did not make the other centers work on defense, except for running up the floor quickly. Barro had three games were he shot 6 free throws. Otule shot 6 free throws in how many minutes last night? He will force the other center to work on defense.

nola03

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
All three freshmen were terrible last night.  I'd like to see a bit more from Jimmy Butler at this point, but wasn't surpised with Fulce and Otule.  It was just nice to see them on the court.  It will be interesting to see how they progress this year.  A lot rides on their ability to improve this year and next.

What more would you like to see from Butler?

I thought he looked good last night. His minutes are up the last couple of games. He doesn't seem like the bystander he was in the first 5-7 games. He penetrated the ball three times last night (compared to only four or five times the entire season). His passing was better and not just lazy dropoffs like earlier in the season.

Butler finished with 7 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. It'd be great to get that production from him off the bench in the Big East.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »

Butler finished with 7 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. It'd be great to get that production from him off the bench in the Big East.

That's what I think will be logical for Butler. From one of the practice videos will everyone yelling at him to score, Butler will find his role. Just needs to feel the flow which seems to be materializing.

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »
And i love how on every possession Chris is working his butt off to get into position around the basket. This is something that i never see Burke doing. Do you think that the coaches have specifically told Chris to do this, and not the other centers? Not only is he always working to get position, but the other players actually take looks at passing to him, and they never pass inside to Burke or hazel. Something that i find kind of interesting.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
They pass to Burke once in a awhile. I know this, because everytime they do it I complain about them passing the ball to Burke. The other teams do not worry about MU passing it to Burke. I worry that they will.

feedback