[Today at 12:40:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I never thought I would say it, but....  (Read 3515 times)

tower912

• All American
I never thought I would say it, but....
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:32:38 PM »
I miss Mark Anglavar, Anthony Pieper, Mike Bargen, Brian Wardle, Aaron Hutchins, Cordell Henry, Mike Flory, Bart Miller,  not to mention Diener and Novak...... watching the game last night, I suddenly started thinking about all of those standstill jump shooters who could actually make a 3 pt shot.   I miss Jon Harris, and Nnamaka, and Terry Sanders,  slightly less talented guys who would fight like hell.   I miss Damon Key and Trevor Powell, not to mention Robert Jackson.   Damon Key and Trevor Powell had post games and weren't afraid to take it inside.   This team to me is like the whole cast of the Wizard of Oz.   Some have no heart, some have no brains, some have no courage, some have no hands, some have no confidence.    Jerel and Wes played well, Lazar looked good in spots, but when the one good play Fitz made all night, that great pass from the wing to Lazar wide open under the basket went right through his hands, I knew.   And sadly, I don't see the answer to our balance question in next year's recruits.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: I never thought I would say it, but....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:19:08 PM »
"The Wizard of Oz"--that cracks me up.  After the last two games, however, this fan feels like he's in "Alice in Wonderland" : chasing the White Rabbit down the rabbit hole only to find Dominic James trying to make JUST ONE IN THREE FREE THROWS--as Alice would say, "curiouser and curiouser."
Ludum habemus.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
I miss all those guys you mentioned too. To add to the list Rob Logterman and John Cliff who could sink the 3 ball.

Even guys like Faisal Abraham and Ron Curry who did whatever it took to be successful. Add Lovette and Shaw to that list as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »
I miss all those guys you mentioned too. To add to the list Rob Logterman and John Cliff who could sink the 3 ball.

Even guys like Faisal Abraham and Ron Curry who did whatever it took to be successful. Add Lovette and Shaw to that list as well.

One danger here is that some people seem to be implying that they aren't trying.  I don't think that is the case.  The guys are trying to win and are playing hard, but they just can't shoot.  I agree with Mikey that those guys did the dirty work and I don't see this team doing much of the dirty work which is very unfortunate.  Not aggressive enough or willing to do it (i.e take the charges, get the tough rebound). 

PS  It's hard for me to put Dick Shaw in any category at all the conotes success on the basketball court.  He also tried hard, but had severe limitations.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:36:28 PM »
Bart Miller?  Are you serious? Really serious?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
I agree with Chicos, here. Those guys were hustling their fannies off last night. I can't fault their heart at all.

And, although the shooting (and shot selection) is absolutely atrocious, turnovers (23 of them!) are equally to blame. We can't shoot, have no inside game, cannot hit a free throw and don't take care of the basketball. Nice offensive identity!

Jandern7

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
2 Words:  Grim Reaper

MUCHI814

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 04:50:33 PM »
I know it's on a lesser scale, but even Joe Chapman his senior year could 3's pretty consistently on the those wide open looks.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »
Chapman was one of my favorite players in recent memory. The guy was just so solid and consistent. Didn't put up big numbers, but always could knock down a tough shot and was money from the line. Played within himself and had a air of confidence around him.

I have no problem with this teams heart or effort. They play hard and they want to win. Watch the Duke game one more time if you think this team doesn't have heart. They are just not playing good ball lately. I don't know what the problem is. I have seen this in other MU teams under the Crean era. At different points in the season our teams tend to play too mechanical and tentative. They seem to focus too much on the sets on offense and defense. They think too much as opposed to reacting and playing in the flow of the game. I think this team isn't built for Crean's style or BE style. This is an open court team. We are undersized but athletic. We need to run the court and bring full court pressure all game. Think of Bruce Pearl's style.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:01:34 PM »
That team Bruce Pearl had at UWM that went to the sweet 16 two years ago is better than we have right now. Better perimeter shooting guards, and even his frontocurt with James Wright (Milwaukee native) and Adrian Tigert from Oshkosh West were better than anything we have right now in the froncourt. I hate to have to say that, but it's pretty obvious right now after watching this team for the last 6 weeks.