[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Zog from Margo
[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Post-game thoughts...  (Read 6158 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Post-game thoughts...
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
-Played well for about the first 6 minutes of the second half, and it started on the defensive end. MU really extended their defense and made CMU work for everything. Otherwise, generally underwhelming (hate to complain about a 14-point win)

-Sloppy, sloppy play. 19 turnovers? Per usual, McNeal was the main perpetrator, contributing 6 of his own. Take care of the damn ball!

-Cubillan needs to hit open looks.

-I liked that we took far fewer threes in this game.

-Lots of ticky-tack fouls on both teams.

-Some peculiar substitutions in the first half. Was Buzz going for a Dwight-on-Defense-Wes-on-Offense thing, usually reserved for end-of-game situations?

-Where was Hazel tonight?

spartan3186

• All American
Re: Post-game thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
The turnovers were ridiculous... it seemed like 30

I really really really like that we pressed

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
- Too many missed lay-ups, especially from Wes.

- Much better shot selection from Jerel, but his ball control/decision making was terrible.

- DJ had a great game ... He was strong with the ball and played excellent defense.

- Cubillan has to hit those open 3s.

- Hayward needs to get more touches in the half-court offense.

- Really like the full court trap MU utilize in the second half.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
Speaking of DJ, he should have had 5 more assists (minimum) than he did. I counted the amount of "should be assists" and defined that as a missed bunny or uncontested jumper. He had 5 with 1 or 2 more that were questionable

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »
Speaking of DJ, he should have had 5 more assists (minimum) than he did. I counted the amount of "should be assists" and defined that as a missed bunny or uncontested jumper. He had 5 with 1 or 2 more that were questionable

Agreed. DJ should have had 10 assists in this game. He was able to consistently get into the lane.

I'm actually starting to feel bad for DJ. Without a low-post presence or a great shooter, his assists numbers are not going to accurate reflect how well he is currently playing.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:36:18 PM »
Positives:
--Full Court Defense
--Late in the game, CMU broke out an awkward looking 3/4 court press. In about 2 seconds the ball went James-Wes-Jerel. Looked like it required no thought whatsoever. Resulted in an open layup turned hard foul. They had no doubt how to pick apart that press. It was nice to see.
--81.6% from the line. James 4-7 and Burke 1-2 were the worst individually.
--Only 9 3's. And a few of those misses were good shots by Cubillan that just didn't fall.

Negatives:
--Lazar fouled out. Dwight and Wes finished with 4. Have to be better with this come Saturday.
--Dwight: 17 min, 5 boards, 3 turnovers, 4 fouls. Yikes.
--19 turnovers.
--We really didn't look all that impressive for most of the night.

Pardner

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:37 PM »
Lots of negative comments tonight.  It wasn't stellar but it sure wasn't ever close.  I was expecting a major hangover game.  We have tired legs, and this is the most games in any stretch throughout the season.  How about some positives:

>>As I said before, Buzz is now tied as the winningest MU rookie coach through his first seven games.

>>A very deliberate offensive performance tonight vs. the helter skelter against Dayton.  A whopping 70% assist to FGM ratio.

>>If you are tired and things are dragging, you win by trying to get to the line more often.  An even more amazing 74.5% FT rate.  Scoring points on a stopped clock is a good way to rest too.

>>Buzz ran this as a scrimmage.  Gave plenty of PT to the subs, having them work on specific things.  

>>A great time out to end the half in a score...and a great opening play in the second.  Great in-game coaching.

>>DJ--a 5:1 assist-turnover ratio...and 7 rebounds.

>>Nice trapping press.

>>We left some for Bucky on Saturday

>>I walked in with an elderly alumnus and his family.  He had a cane, walking about an inch a minute.  And, he was happy to be there watching this all go down.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:12:53 AM by Pardner »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:52 AM »
Whole heartedly agree with most of these comments.  With our sloppy play and a foul being called literally every 30 seconds I couldn't stomach to watch the final 6 minutes of the game. 

- DJ looked great.  He played great D, was penetrating, dishing, rebounding, FINISHING...still weak with his free throws although he did hit a 3.

- The offense was a bit better in terms of patience.  They were smarter with their shot selection and didn't settle for a ton of threes.

- While they waited for better shots they still can't finish...Wes, Jerel, Lazar, all of them missed at least 2-3 bunnies...that's not going to cut it down the road, they need to convert easy buckets.

- Turnovers,  god we can't take care of the ball.  Whether its 3 seconds in the lane, traveling, or just loosing the handle like Jerel seemed to do every other possession, we can't seem to take care of the ball.  Again, down the road this will really become an issue.  We allowed a poor team to hang with us for most of the game.  CMU isn't just a below .500 team, they're a bad below .500 team that's lost to cupcakes.

- Defensively, we played well at times, were unlucky at times (diving on the ground for loose balls and it ends up in CMU's hands for a bucket), and we had more lapses where we either gambled and lost, allowed our man to get by us, got lazy and didn't recover or move our feet, and let CMU get an easy open look.  Granted, they missed a lot of open looks (CMU really is a poor team) but good teams are going to kill us on the defensive end.

All in all, it was a very unimpressive showing.  Maybe they are tired but whatever the case may be they don't look sharp and we should have beaten CMU by at least 20 if not 30. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:50:46 AM by muarmy81 »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »
Being that this was the first game I have watched...

-Has Buzz subbed Burke in and out like that all season? He never seemed to get more than 2 minutes on the court.

- Were the announcers watching the game on a tape delay?   They would be making comments about a jail break towards the basket for MU while CMU had the ball.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
Just an observation on some of the comments on this thread.  I don't believe we were ever in a full court trapping press.  It was definitely a full court press but almost seemed more token pressure.  There was no trapping in the backcourt and I can only recall once when we trapped as soon as the ball was over half court.  Even then it was really more of just an opportunistic chance as the dribbler brought the ball into the corner and I believe it was DJ was able to come from the backside and trap with Wes using the half court line and the sideline as additional defenders.  I only bring this up because my friend and I were commenting on how we would like to see the use a trapping press, especially as we start to get some players back and have more ability to sub frequently.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:49:56 AM »
I really hope they ditch the trapping press against UW. Man up fullcourt at times, but a zone trap they will be able to throw over the top of easily. Especially with their skilled bigs who can pass.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:53:08 AM »
Just an observation on some of the comments on this thread.  I don't believe we were ever in a full court trapping press.  It was definitely a full court press but almost seemed more token pressure.  There was no trapping in the backcourt and I can only recall once when we trapped as soon as the ball was over half court.  Even then it was really more of just an opportunistic chance as the dribbler brought the ball into the corner and I believe it was DJ was able to come from the backside and trap with Wes using the half court line and the sideline as additional defenders.  I only bring this up because my friend and I were commenting on how we would like to see the use a trapping press, especially as we start to get some players back and have more ability to sub frequently.

They did apply full court pressure but they also trapped a few times off the first pass. (it worked once but DJ missed the bunny after the steal)  They werre also working to deny the inbounds pass off of makes and time outs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:43:46 AM »
I think the most positive to come out of the game was seeing James penetrating and finishing in the paint. He has seemed very tentative in pursuing the points in the lane that he did his earlier years. If he can use his athleticism and get to the basket, we'll be in good shape.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »
we did trap a few times....once was emabrrassing as Acker left a huge whole for the ball handler to split.  the other couple of times it worked very well butler had a steal and a break on one and i think Dj had a steal off another but agreed some pressure but few traps.

Also agreed DJ should have had 10 assists.  Hayard had an in and out 3,  Cubi missed 2-3 wide open looks off dj passes.  Wes mised a couple of layups as did Jerel, including DJ's nifty behind the back pass to a wide open Jerel who missed the layup.

All in all jerel was truly horrible last night.  Most shockingly he played the worst defense on the team last night.  Second half he tried on d, first half he looked uninterested and his guy made him look like a foll.  offensively, he should be our 4th oprtion trainwreck waiting to happen, bad passes...actaully stupid passes for a senior.  23 shots from jerel means blowuot loss.

Pardner

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »
The trap looked good when they had Butler in the game.  His size and length caused soem problems.  CMU is actually a good 3pt % team...and Buzz was trying to apply early pressure within the possession.  After Bucky had so much had trouble with the pressure vs. UCONN, my guess is Buzz will ramp it up a bit.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
I turned the game off with 8 minutes to go-----first time I've done that with an MU game
in a long, long time, but i was disgusted. One of the most undisciplined games i've seen a MU team play.
18 TOs, giving up 18 offensive rebs (to a low level Div 1 team), running up and down the floor like chickens with their heads cut off.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »
Positives:
--Late in the game, CMU broke out an awkward looking 3/4 court press. In about 2 seconds the ball went James-Wes-Jerel. Looked like it required no thought whatsoever. Resulted in an open layup turned hard foul. They had no doubt how to pick apart that press. It was nice to see.

It's really interesting to me that you mention this as a positive. I only saw about the last 12 minutes of the game, but when CMU applied pressure, I recall thinking that we didn't break it nearly as easily as I thought we would. There was one time when, yes, we broke it easily with a couple of passes, but too many times we seemed to want to dribble around it. Never any danger of turning the ball over, but we didn't seem to use our quickness well enough. In my mind, if we play smart against the press we can treat it like a turnover-quick transition-fast break situation. We can best do that by passing, not by dribbling, though a component big man who can run the floor (like Barro) would help.

It was the first game I've seen this year, and I was disappointed (but not surprised, given the post-game reports and messages that have come along) to see that we really do seem to have weakness in areas that we didn't expect to struggle. Most importantly, defense is number one. Why is our man-to-man weaker than last year, with essentially the same team?

I remain optimistic and confident that the season will be strong, but I am concerned about some things. (Can't help but mention--even parenthetically--that it seems that McNeal is pushing too hard, just as James did his sophomore year.)

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
I turned the game off with 8 minutes to go-----first time I've done that with an MU game
in a long, long time, but i was disgusted. One of the most undisciplined games i've seen a MU team play.
18 TOs, giving up 18 offensive rebs (to a low level Div 1 team), running up and down the floor like chickens with their heads cut off.

That's what bothered me the most.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »
It was the first game I've seen this year, and I was disappointed (but not surprised, given the post-game reports and messages that have come along) to see that we really do seem to have weakness in areas that we didn't expect to struggle. Most importantly, defense is number one. Why is our man-to-man weaker than last year, with essentially the same team?

We don't have essentially the same team.  We're missing four of the five tallest players from that roster, and the two guys who could presumably offer some replacement are both injured.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 07:50:52 PM »
We don't have essentially the same team.  We're missing four of the five tallest players from that roster, and the two guys who could presumably offer some replacement are both injured.

Good point and well taken. Our top scorers, and the cogs of the team remain the same, but the differences are significant. Much the same way that we now look back and see how important Novak was to James' success his freshman year.

Nevertheless, I still have this nagging feeling that we are playing the way we could and I'm not sure how much to chalk that up to a transition in coaches and how much to (self-induced or otherwise) pressure on the leaders, and how much to... Frankly, I'm probably second-guessing things way to early in the season. I'm clearly not alone in that in reading these boards!