'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Marquette's secret to winning  (Read 2682 times)

muPARTY

• Starter
EXCLUSIVE: Marquette's secret to winning
« on: January 08, 2007, 01:13:27 AM »
STOP SHOOTING 3s!!!!!
MU Victory against Duke:  James 2-4, Matthews 1-2, McNeal 0-2
MU losses...
NDSU: James 1-5, Matthews 0-3, McNeal 0-3
Wisconsin:  James 2-7, McNeal 0-1, Matthes 0-3
Providence:  James 1-8, Matthews 1-4
Syracuse:  James 0-7, McNeal 2-6, Matthews 0-3

against Texas Tech, James was 3-6 and in the two squeaker wins against Idaho St and Valpo he was 3-8 and 3-9.

i know the three pointer is important but Novak and Diener are gone, and those 3 guys aren't the answer.  when James thinks he was the range from 20ft out, MARQUETTE LOSES! 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Marquette's secret to winning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:23:22 AM »
or at least shoot the three's that you get in the flow of the offense ...... ie, McNeals trey from the top of the key on a drive and kick by James, or Cubillan's pair of bombs.

the 3-pointer is a crutch for this team -- an excuse not to run an effective offense. Amazingly, MU is a team built around guards .  ..  . . . .the majority of whom can't shoot right now.  Scary

MUjunkie77

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »
That stat is alot like Brett Favre's intercepetions......when we fall behind, players (like DJ last night) are a lot more likely to throw up threes that would never be attempted if MU had the lead. When we actually have a lead (see Duke), our team is throwing in fast break layups and dunks, getting the ball inside, and taking the occasional three when it's open. When we're down, we're throwing up shots from 5 feet behind the line.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 11:42:38 AM »
We threw up a lot of misguided threes against Syracuse while the game was close or we were ahead, too.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:24:56 PM »
Those 3's usually signify a bad shooting night as well as the need to "stay in the game" or "break out". Unfortunately, the 3 doesn't fall easily with this team. (Nor does the 2). The W's have been due to the team's ability to break a team down WITHOUT the 3.

I think Cubillan and may be Matthews should be the only ones shooting from behind the arc.
SS Marquette

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
When Marquette shoots threes within the flow of the offense they will have better success. To many of the shots are coming with no momentum and little flow to the offense. the 25 footers with under 5 seconds left on the clock aren't good shoots and they're success rate have been slim to none

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 02:35:01 PM »
or at least shoot the three's that you get in the flow of the offense ......

yeah.  i don't want people to think i  meant stop shooting all 3s, but those that are just shot to for the sake of shooting them.  and for some of the guys to realize (like James), that when you're 0-5 or so, stop shooting them, espeically since it's not your strength.  i know there will be those 3s at the end of a game when you're down and there are only a few seconds left, but Marquette was something like 4-16 from behind the arc when there was 3:45 left in the game and that was at a point where the most they were down by was like 4 to 'Cuse.

the two best recent memories of the receckless 3s i'm talking about was against Wisconsin when DJ shot a fade away 3 from the corner with a hand in his face, and last nite when he kept dribbling around at about 23ft out to open a shot, still took it, and (i think) airballed it (or barely glanced the rim).

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
MUParty's trey numbes above are very revealing----shows what happens when our trey shooting is absolutely abomitable -----result: 4 losses!

Shows how important trey shooting is----if you stop altogether shooting treys, the defense is going to pack it in even more-----trey shooting in BB sets up the inside for penetration-----just like the run in football-----needed to set up the pass!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:30:12 PM by Murffieus »