Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Syracuse post game interviews  (Read 10063 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Syracuse post game interviews
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:44:18 PM »
Tom Crean
- Marquette needs to learn to do something with the momentum when it's there.  Can't win when you shoot poorly, and from the FT line too.  Nobody needs to throw out tickets yet

- Long season, but MU was a product tonight of no rhythm and chemistry  Jerel and Wesley haven't been in a practice for a week.  They'll get back healthy now. It doesn't get any easier but he thinks mindset will improve.

- Wes' knockdown in 2nd half - they think he's fine.  Need to talk to doctors.

- Jerel hasn't done any practicing.  But he played decent.

- Marquette didn't talk enough, never got in a rhythm.  At one point 'Cuse's best defense was sending MU to the FT line.  Players need to start spending more time at the gym.  Great players do that, and they're an immature club that's not putting in all the individual time that they need to.  Need to find a couple big guys that are willing to go in an battle with a club like Syracuse night in and night out.  Despite all the comment's Crean is confident that Marquette can get it together.

- Angry about the booing on MU missing FTs.  They kids are not trying to miss - have to support the team and move on.  They fans were generally great.

- Zone: Didn't get in the lane like they needed to.  Wanted to attack a couple spots. MU is not listening very well - wanted to do a couple things at Providence to, and they haven't done it.  There is a strategy, the but the team hasn't been executing.  Team hasn't been together for man-to-man practice - that's the excuse for now.  If it continues happening, then he'll have to make some changes and blame people for not listening.

- They're a young team - no seniors to throw out there.  They team will get better - "hang in there"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:51:26 PM by rocky_warrior »

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
Re: Syracuse post game interviews
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »
Tom Crean
- Marquette needs to learn to so something with the momentum when it's there.  Can't win when you shoot poorly, and from the FT line too.  Nobody needs to throw out tickets yet

- long season, but MU was a product tonight of no rhythm and chem.  Jerel and Wesley haven't been in a practice for a week.  They'll get back healthy now - it doesn't get any easier but he thinks mindset will improve.

- Marquette didn't talk enough, never got in a rhythm.  At one point 'Cuse's best defense was sending MU to the FT line.  Players need to start spending more time at the gym.  Great players do that, and they're an immature club that's not putting in all the individual time that they need to.  Need to find a couple big guys that are willing to go in an battle with a club like Syracuse night in and night out.  Despite all the comment's Crean is confident that Marquette can get it together.

- Angry about the booing on MU missing FTs.  They kids are not trying to miss - have to support the team and move on.  They fans were generally great.

- Zone: Didn't get in the lane they needed to.  Wanted to attack a couple spots. MU is not listening very well - wanted to do a couple things at Providence to, and they haven't done it.  There is a strategy, the but the team hasn't been executing.  Team hasn't been together for man-to-man practice - that's the excuse for now.  If it continues happening, then he'll have to make some changes and blame people for not listening.

- They're a young team - no seniors to throw out there.  They team will get better - "hang in there"

I am sorry, but how much chemistry do Jerel and Wes need with the team -- they've been played with most of these guys for over a year now.  Yes, they've been out, but that shouldn't have made a difference -- frankly I didn't see chemistry as a problem tonight.  The guys played well.

Wes "flopped" when he was knocked down -- it was scary.  If Crean says he "thinks" they are ok and that he needs to check with the doctors, I am surprised he went back in the game.  Yes, we needed him, but. . .

If there is a problem, TELL them to practice more, don't make excuses.  I can't tell them that, but YOU can.  YOU are the coach.

Yes, the kids aren't trying to miss.  But at some point it is simply unacceptable.  The booing that I heard on TV was after DJ missed three in a row.  Of course, the frustrating thing could have been him going up for a deep three to even get to the line.  Shot selection is just horrible and the coach HAS to be able to dictate that.  This isn't Diener or NOvak shooting -- NO ONE should have the green light on this team (except for Cubillian, IMO).

How about you blame people now?  What is the excuse -- not together or man-to-man coaching?  What the hell is that?

Coach, please remind us again why we don't have any seniors?  Oh yeah, I forgot . . . .

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:54:41 PM »
that fifth comment is pretty telling...
MU teams of the past seemed to always have been perhaps lacking in talent, but living as gym rats 24/7...
do these guys think that they're that talented that they don't need to put in extra work?  kinda like any student who goes to class but doesn't study for the test.... if those were the the words TC used, it seems like he's either frustrated with the guys, or calling them out.

regarding booing FT's.... not booing the kids, booing him.  he's the teacher.  he's the face of mu hoops.  he's the leader that HAS to find a way to get those kids extra to the gym etc...  and he's being rewarded handsomely to do so--- so do so, Tom.

additional thoughts:
nice crowd tonight... into it for certain... good Orange contingent as well.. plus some scattered (like the mouth behind me!)
hate the refs-- Higgins is a disgrace.. both ways.  missed calls right in front of me.
MU played harder on D then they have in the recent past-- loads of rebounds for Syr we're just weird---- strange boings off the rim... tho' they deserve credit for rebounding period--- we often had good position, but???
Got some fact time on the board and snarled 'em my pearly white scowl in between gulps o' guiness...

fun time... awful outcome.

mutpm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
FYI, the ref was Jim Burr, not Higgins.  They both suck. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:59:43 PM »
if those were the the words TC used, it seems like he's either frustrated with the guys, or calling them out.

I do paraphrase, but he was definitely calling some people out.  That whole segment of the interview he was pretty intense, and critical of the team.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:00:12 PM »
To summarize.

It is the players fault.

Lock and load!

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »
I had to grimmace at a Jimmy Mac comment on the post game show.  He said "there's still 7 chances to see Marquette play at home this year...if all goes well".   

Disgusting to even think of an 8th remaining home game...

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
Tom Crean

You know why I boo? Because I am a crap basketball player and even I could make at least one out of three free throws.

Can I have a scholarship?

Crean YOU have the power to make them practice FTs. Exercise it.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 11:33:14 PM »
Putting in the extra time is BS.  The basketball team spends at least 3 hours a day practicing.  Maybe Crean should spend more time on free throw shooting and less on his non effective side out of bounds plays out of a time out.

This team is by far the worst of Crean's era, of playing off of momentum.  You can tell by the crowd's reaction.  We, they, whatever never seem to get into the game for LONG stretches.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 12:48:07 AM »
Crean, you are paid two million a year..make the kids shoot the damn free throws. There is no reason we shoot that horrible from the line. Crean has gotta stop making excuses and kick this team into gear..there is too much talent on this team to see them playing the way they are..
Tradition Never Graduates..

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 01:26:33 AM »
i'll boo all game long for every missed free throw... and 3pt shoot.  the fans and students wouldn't be mad if it happened once-in-awhile, but 3 of the losses can be chalked up to absolute awful free throw shooting.  the allie-oops are great (when they hit) but instead of trying 5 of those a game and practicing 'em, work on the shot in which you're not guarded... free throws!  in the past years, you could always count on Marquette's free throw shooting in close games.  it was the one thing you knew MU had an advantage in.  now i'm terrified when it's close and the charity stripe becomes a factor.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 07:11:37 AM »
Here's what I'm trying to figure out.....how does booing help AT ALL??  I understand the frustration, I am as frustrated as everyone else, but to boo the home team is just disgraceful.  At this point, I think the issue is just bad juju and head games.  Everyone is shooting way under their FT % from last year.....you don't get that bad that quick.  Booing only makes the players think about it more.  I think we need to have a reality check, relax and not get so worked up and let this team work itself out.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
Tom Crean
- Marquette needs to learn to do something with the momentum when it's there.  Can't win when you shoot poorly, and from the FT line too.  Nobody needs to throw out tickets yet

- Long season, but MU was a product tonight of no rhythm and chemistry  Jerel and Wesley haven't been in a practice for a week.  They'll get back healthy now. It doesn't get any easier but he thinks mindset will improve.

- Zone: Didn't get in the lane like they needed to.  Wanted to attack a couple spots. MU is not listening very well - wanted to do a couple things at Providence to, and they haven't done it.  There is a strategy, the but the team hasn't been executing.  Team hasn't been together for man-to-man practice - that's the excuse for now.  If it continues happening, then he'll have to make some changes and blame people for not listening.

Did he say, "the team I put together lacks balance and overall talent to compete in the Big East.  I missed out by not recruiting any outside shooters or quality big men."    I stopped listening to him long ago.   

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »
Tom Crean
... Need to find a couple big guys that are willing to go in an battle with a club like Syracuse night in and night out....

maybe it's something from practice, but i think Lott's defense has been pretty tough as of late.  he only had a handful of minutes against 'Cuse, but he played tough.  his problem is that he can get 2 fouls in under a minute.  but at least he's not a siv on baseline defense like Ousmane.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »
Did anyone else notice that these guys appear psychologically fragile?  Fitz is afraid to shoot, DJ couldn't hit Lake Michigan from Bradford Beach, Jerel/Wes fell 4 or 5 times in the last 3 minutes trying to drive the lane.

They have lost all confidence.  Is that Crean breaking them down?  I heard he unloaded on the Big 3 pretty hard after the UW game.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »
Here's what I'm trying to figure out.....how does booing help AT ALL??  I understand the frustration, I am as frustrated as everyone else, but to boo the home team is just disgraceful.  At this point, I think the issue is just bad juju and head games.  Everyone is shooting way under their FT % from last year.....you don't get that bad that quick.  Booing only makes the players think about it more.  I think we need to have a reality check, relax and not get so worked up and let this team work itself out.

i agree. booing your hometown professional sports team is one thing, but booing college kids? come on... i, for one, did not boo. as for those who did, i blame that on the influence on marquette's fanbase of chicago sports fans. we all know what a classy bunch they are  ;D

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 04:09:35 PM »
You know what?  If the booing gets this team or its coach ticked off, and that translates into a solution to just horrible free throwing, then I'm glad they booed. 
Ludum habemus.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
Frankly, I don't even agree with booing your home town professional team. What good is it going to do? As a Cub fan, the booing of Jacque Jones this year was completely uncalled for, considering he was the only one hitting!

I have never booed Marquette in my life. I don't actually know anybody who would literally cup their hands around their mouth and yell "Boo!" Who does that? Do these people "Hiss" too?

State

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »
The booing can be prevented as they are conscious decisions...but the moans, groans and rumblings that circumvent the BC after a missed FT is completely unavoidable as these are unconscious decisions/actions.  IF I were a player/coach I'd perfer the booing to the groans because the groans show the true (deeply rooted) feelings of the masses!!!

And by the sounds of them...the BC is worried sick!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »
I don't boo, I don't hiss.  I cheer a lot.  That said, although booing should be rare, it has its place. A fan has just as much right to show displeasure as pleasure-- especially when a fan invests substantial time and money in following a team. Booing at the college level is directed at the coaching staff. As professionals, the coaching staff should be prepared to take it, if they put a product on the floor which is producing way the way Marquette currently is.  And I know DJ is not intentionally trying to miss, but is he too precious to not take on the spot criticism?  He does seem to enjoy the accolades.
Ludum habemus.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 05:01:15 PM »
Frankly, I don't even agree with booing your home town professional team. What good is it going to do? As a Cub fan, the booing of Jacque Jones this year was completely uncalled for, considering he was the only one hitting!

I have never booed Marquette in my life. I don't actually know anybody who would literally cup their hands around their mouth and yell "Boo!" Who does that? Do these people "Hiss" too?

Jacque Jones deserves to be booed from the minute he steps on the field till the time he gets in his car to leave.  He is TERRIBLE.  Jim Hendry should also be tomatoed every step he takes for signing him. 

Back to the topic of MU, for someone who complains about  the coach and the program so much its hard to believe that you would never boo them.

Being at the game yesterday it seemed to me that besides the james missing 3 free throws booing when it was very loud, most of the noise was coming from upstairs - at least thats the way it sounded to me. 
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 05:17:36 PM »
This time of year is especially bad to see the players not going to the gym on their own and getting called out by the coach because of it.  Maybe they just need to get back into the rhythm of going to classes and having a bust schedule, but extra time that could have been spent at the gym is going to be lost after this week.

feedback