'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Comments by SNY announcing team  (Read 7904 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Comments by SNY announcing team
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
I guess we should show more gratitude to the man who led us to two NITs and 1 NCAA win in the last 5 seasons.

+1

In teal.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
I boo when they show Hank Raymonds on the scoreboard.

He ruined MU when he took over.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
I boo when they show Hank Raymonds on the scoreboard.

He ruined MU when he took over.

Did we all miss the part when Hank Raymonds left Marquette under cover of darkness? Or repeated instances of Hank acting like a pompous ass?

I love people who tell others when it's appropriate to boo. Booing is appropriate when you don't like what you see. David Kaplan rips on Aramis Ramirez almost nightly on his radio show. Ramirez is one of the most productive third basemen in all of baseball. Is he clueless to rip him or is it his perogative?

People don't much like Crean, so they boo. What is the problem with that?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »
Good point Red, also...

Was Hank afforded:

One of the best practice facilities in the country? 
One of the top salaries in the country? 
The 5th highest operating budgets in the country? 
A cush job for his father in-law? 
Private jets for recruiting trips? 
Relaxed academic standards compared to previous coaches?
$41,000 for a hyperbaric chamber?

You see when you're given EVERYTHING you want and EVERYTHING you ask for and you produce 2 NITs and 1 NCAA win in your final 5 years, and then you pull a Baltimore Colts on your team and the administration, people may boo a little.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
I don't blame Hank for the post-Al demise.  MU should have gone after a top tier coach to replace Al.  At that time it was arguably as good a job as IU or UNC.  I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Hank thanks to the time (1983) when he screamed "we've got you by the balls now!!" at Norm Stewart (Mizzou) after Dwayne Johnson sank a last second jumper from the corner.  The entire state of Missouri heard that classic line.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »
I love Hank Raymonds; but, MU should have gone outside for a higher profile coach to replace Al.  In December 1977, I went to the pre-tournament luncheon for the Milwaukee Classic and ended up seated at a table with several assistant coaches from the other schools in the torurney.  Each one had deep respect for Hank, but each coach flatly stated that MU should have gone outside to replace Al because Hank was "too nice" (in their words) for the recruiting game and that Hank would not be able to maintain MU's success.  History obviously proved them correct.  Look at the unsuccessful recruitments over his term of duty ( Scooter McCray, et al ). Hank should have been moved into administration at that point.   Then again, it would have been hard for anyone to have come near Al's success level.  But, we'll never know as MU never traveled that road.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 12:52:49 PM »
Al said at one point during his farewell..."My only regret is Hank is not coming with me"  They were a great team who probably needed each other as much as anything for their success.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »
Did we all miss the part when Hank Raymonds left Marquette under cover of darkness? Or repeated instances of Hank acting like a pompous ass?

I love people who tell others when it's appropriate to boo. Booing is appropriate when you don't like what you see. David Kaplan rips on Aramis Ramirez almost nightly on his radio show. Ramirez is one of the most productive third basemen in all of baseball. Is he clueless to rip him or is it his perogative?

People don't much like Crean, so they boo. What is the problem with that?

If you want to boo Crean because you just don't like the guy and think he is a douche... well, then there really isn't a debate for that. Go for it, I guess.

However, people seem to want to justify their dislike of Crean by painting a picture like he didn't do a good job.

You can hate the guy (I dislike several things about him). But, don't make it seem like he wasn't good for MU. He wasn't perfect, but he was the 2nd best coach MU has had.

As far as Raymonds goes, I love the guy. He didn't have the best run as a head coach, but overall he did a lot of great things for MU.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »
I think you all missed the sarcasm font on 2002mualum's post about booing Hank.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »
I guess we should show more gratitude to the man who led us to two NITs and 1 NCAA win in the last 5 seasons.

Nah, it just looks silly when MU fans piss on the 2nd most successful coach in school history.  And when the announcers are saying that on a telecast it makes MU fans look even better.   ::)

People can boo all they want, it's their right.  But don't be surprised if announcers, writers, etc point it out. 

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:12:07 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »
Pshaw.  And don't be surprised if it sparks a thread like this, where we flame the announcers for not knowing WHY fans remain pissed off, and that Crean is reaping what he sowed in April, burning every bridge he found.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
I think you all missed the sarcasm font on 2002mualum's post about booing Hank.

Yes, I was definitely being sarcastic about Hank. I love the guy.

However, if you really wanted to be a d*ck, you could boo Hank and say it's because he ran a top flight program into the ground.

My guess is that the Crean wounds are just fresher, and the perception of Crean in general is just more negative.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
Pshaw.  And don't be surprised if it sparks a thread like this, where we flame the announcers for not knowing WHY fans remain pissed off, and that Crean is reaping what he sowed in April, burning every bridge he found.

I'm just ticked he left us with such a crappy team to watch this year.  Talk about really sticking it to us.  And then campaigning to get Buzz as the head coach....he was clearly out to destroy the program when he left.   ;)

I guess that's my point.  Outsiders are going to come in and say "so what that he left.  He left you guys with a top 15 team, a great recruiter, the Big East, a new practice gym and you guys are booing him."

Like it or not, that's what outsiders will say, especially those that thought he should have or could have left MU many years earlier.

It just makes MU fans look petty to the outside world.  Fair or otherwise, that's the reality of it.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
Why do we care what the "outside world" thinks of Marquette fans? As long as Crean knows he's being booed and as long as people get some anger off their chests...isn't that all that matters?

Do recruits give a hoot that the former coach is booed? Or do they pay more attention to the former players who are cheered on the scoreboard and in the stands?

Philadelphia fans booed Santa Claus and yet people still visit the City of Brotherly Love.

MU8285

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 03:43:13 PM »
"what if you get one class A and one class B?"

My understanding is that an A counts as a B, but a B doesn't count as an A. So in this scenario the coach would have one A and, what counts as, two B's. 

Or put another way, it takes two A's to get ejected, but three of any kind will do the trick.  So an A and two B's, while a decent GPA, will get you shown the door.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Why do we care what the "outside world" thinks of Marquette fans? As long as Crean knows he's being booed and as long as people get some anger off their chests...isn't that all that matters?

Do recruits give a hoot that the former coach is booed? Or do they pay more attention to the former players who are cheered on the scoreboard and in the stands?

Philadelphia fans booed Santa Claus and yet people still visit the City of Brotherly Love.

If we don't care what the outside world thinks, why would we care if Crean knows about the booing?

Are we trying to hurt his feelings? Awwwww. I'm sure he will be crushed.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »
Like it or not, that's what outsiders will say, especially those that thought he should have or could have left MU many years earlier.

It just makes MU fans look petty to the outside world.  Fair or otherwise, that's the reality of it.

Or, perhaps that means the announcers should avail themselves of finding out why people are so unhappy with Crean, since there have been other coaches who've left their programs on GOOD terms.

Imagine that .. announcers/reporters explaining what's going on via video.  "Well, the MU fans are booing right now, and let's do our jobs and explain why."

BlueToaster

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 11:32:09 PM »
1)  Marquette fans are booing Crean for leaving after he made it seem like he was saying.  Stupid comment, because people will feel angry towards him no matter what.

People will boo him for whatever reasons for a long time. He might deserve it but who cares. Its over and I would rather use my voice and energy to cheer on this team and not worry about the past. Alot of people bought into his PR machine (and they are in Indiana as well) The real judgement should come in a few years when Buzz has all of his own guys and Crean has all of his as well. Then we will see if we are still near the top of the BE. I think Crean will have a tough time beating Izzo and Ryan year after year as I would consider them much better coaches (after seeing what they both did to this program in the past) Ever since the first round embarasment against Michigan State 2 years ago I completely lost my faith in Crean regardless of last years second round loss or all of the memories with the final four and the CUSA title.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 08:09:41 AM »
Regardless of how he left - you guys would find a reason to b*tch about Tan Tommy.  Even if he did tell his players before he left, there would be another reason y'all would come up with.

Get over it already!!

feedback