[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: what if jamil comes  (Read 8541 times)

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
what if jamil comes
« on: November 19, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
we will have quite a road block with hayward, fulce, maymon, e. williams, buycks, butler, and wilson fighting for three spots. And only one senior in that group. Someone will become unhappy with their playing time.

THEGYMBAR

Re: what if jamil comes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »
What if Jamil comes?-----We throw a frickin party and celebrate our best recruiting class in years. Seems to me Louisville and Kentucky know what to do when they have a bunch of 6-6 studs. I think even I could figure it out. 

YOU FRICKIN PLAY 'EM ALL!!!!!!!

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »
Like I have said, we should take every four star recruit we can.  One of them might bust so you need another one to fill in.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
buycks will probably have to earn some time as a back up pg and we'll probably throw a line up out there on occasion that has one of those guys playing at the 5.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
i dont understand when people will begin to realize that you cannot turn down recruits like Wilson.

ok so if he comes- Jr and buycks at the point, Wilson and E williams at the 2, maymon and butler at the 3, hayward and fulce at the 4...from the guys you listed

most of those guys can interchange their position, which is great. Better yet, all have good size. I say Hayward at the 4 because he can play there, but will likely play the 3 if maymon is a bruiser. i dont see butler as a 2- he doesnt seem like a shooting guard to me so id guess he would play the 3. hopefully one of jamil, e will, and buycks can shoot well enough

reguardless, the depth and size will be good. they cant all get the pt they want, but keep in mind that fulce, butler, buycks all come from JC, so if wilson, maymon, and e williams are all they are cracked out to be then they will back them up.

the competition will be good and everyone will have to fight for their spot, minus Lazar as compared to this year where noone has to fight, except the 5 spot

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »
And don't forget E.Will, maymon and Wilson are all freshmen, it is not going to click for all of them on day 1. 

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »
Did anyone watch how Roy Williams shuffled all his 5 star recruits in and out last night?

It isn't problematic for the Tar Heels and they have five more 5 Star players coming in next year! According to Dookie V (Vitale) UNC's bench would be the number 8 or 9 team in the country this year......

Never complain about having too many good players. ;D

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »
they're also playing for UNC which means national spotlight just about every game and even if you just get 10-12 minutes, your name will still be heard across the country because they're playing for UNC.

A little different than us as we don't quite have the national exposure as the ACC top schools because of ESPN's east coast bias, but I'd gladly rotate 4 star recruits like Roy rotates 5 star ones.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 06:00:23 PM »
I'll join GYMBAR at the party.  A big party.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »
NYG---If we get him, which I have said for months we will, beer is on me!!!!

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »
GYMBAR, do you have any info?  Or is your prediction all on gut feel?
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
Well you're all going to have to wait until March to find out, because Jamil has changed his mind again, and now he won't announce until March and won't sign until April.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »
or did he already sign and this is just a smokescreen?  :o

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »
I think it has to be sent to NCAA clearing house if he signed. My gut feeling is he will go to MU if a scholarship becomes available. Right now the only possiblities I see is Hayward going pro or Aker graduating.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 07:25:28 AM »
or did he already sign and this is just a smokescreen?  :o

Doesn't work like that.  Once you sign your LOI, the school is required to pass that information along to the NCAA.  They then take that information and notify other schools that it has happened, because if the other schools continue to recruit a signed player it is tampering and there are penalties. 

So even if he didn't want the information out there, or he was trying to cover it up by saying he wasn't doing anything until March, it would be out within a day or two.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 08:09:04 AM »
i know all that.  I was just making reference to wild speculation on these boards.  if he signed, we would know about it.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »
How many times must it be repeated, that he isn't coming, Buzz told him he isn't coming, there aren't enough scholarships, Hayward is not going to the NBA, why would Acker graduate. He isn't coming, get over it people. I am sick of all the Jamil Wilson posts that continue to pop up even after it has been reported that Buzz told him they are no longer recruiting him.They are making their bed with the current complete class and quite franly a class of 6 scares me as it is too many scholarships rolled in one class that make the positions harder to fill. That was an old TC trick that never worked, in case you all have short memories. Jamil Wilson is not coming.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

bma725

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 09:12:56 AM »
How many times must it be repeated, that he isn't coming, Buzz told him he isn't coming, there aren't enough scholarships, Hayward is not going to the NBA, why would Acker graduate. He isn't coming, get over it people. I am sick of all the Jamil Wilson posts that continue to pop up even after it has been reported that Buzz told him they are no longer recruiting him.They are making their bed with the current complete class and quite franly a class of 6 scares me as it is too many scholarships rolled in one class that make the positions harder to fill. That was an old TC trick that never worked, in case you all have short memories. Jamil Wilson is not coming.

Buzz told him he wasn't recruiting him anymore, then a week later got back involved.  This has been confirmed by Mark Miller with Jamil's high school coach, and confirmed by his AAU coach.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »
He is not coming
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »
If you know he is not coming, then please provide us as to where he is going.  Texas, Oregon or MSU.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 10:15:21 AM »

There is nothing even remotely empirical in this post.  All you are doing is engaging in speculation, which you are accusing others of doing.  I apologize, but your case is completely unconvincing.  I believe that any speculation about him coming here is fairly warranted until he signs.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:15 AM »
I think it has to be sent to NCAA clearing house if he signed. My gut feeling is he will go to MU if a scholarship becomes available. Right now the only possiblities I see is Hayward going pro or Aker graduating.

or dc could head back home and go pro, as was suggested by some random poster.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
There is nothing even remotely empirical in this post.  All you are doing is engaging in speculation, which you are accusing others of doing.  I apologize, but your case is completely unconvincing.  I believe that any speculation about him coming here is fairly warranted until he signs.

So the fact that we do not have an available scholarship isn't an indication that he isn't coming.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
Doesn't the Big East allow schools to oversign by one player each year?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »
So the fact that we do not have an available scholarship isn't an indication that he isn't coming.

We oversigned with Tyshawn Taylor last year.  If the talent wants to come you take it.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »
No need to worry about about a scholarship. We will have 1-2 guys to run out of town come Feb, '09. Sign studs and weed out the stiffs.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 11:38:29 AM »
Alright, you can oversign but that doesn't mean all can play, I haven/t heard any reports of any of the recrutis goign elsewhere and the all have signed LOI, again where is the scholarship coming from, if someone can tell me that I'll be quiet and go back to my bunker in the people's republic.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

JSwarriors08

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »

No.  Clearly, not having an available scholarship just means that something will have to be done to ensure that there is space by the time next season comes around.  There is a multitude of ways in which this could occur.  Over-signing is not a rare practice in the NCAA, and I am pretty sure that if Jamil comes knocking, there will be a place for him next year.  You are assuming a mutually exclusive relationship between him signing and us being full up, when this happens all the time.  I think we'll take whatever 4-star recruits we can get, thanks.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »
Alright, you can oversign but that doesn't mean all can play, I haven/t heard any reports of any of the recrutis goign elsewhere and the all have signed LOI, again where is the scholarship coming from, if someone can tell me that I'll be quiet and go back to my bunker in the people's republic.

Well outcomes in which we would have a free scholarship that have been discussed here:

1.  Cubes leaves for Venezuela
2.  Lazar goes pro
3.  Acker graduates

Who knows?  But it's possible

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »
Well outcomes in which we would have a free scholarship that have been discussed here:

1.  Cubes leaves for Venezuela
2.  Lazar goes pro
3.  Acker graduates

Who knows?  But it's possible

Once again, lets stay away from talking about the future of individual players.  Its unfair and simply wrong.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 12:07:25 PM »
What is this whoel Acker graduates thing, if he graduates why wouldn't he stay on and go to grad school and play another year. I have heard things abotu Cubie, but once again there is no way Lazar goes Pro, He is undersized for a power forward and too slow to guard wings in the nBA

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »
There's been talk of Acker not wanting to do grad school after he graduates this year to stay on and play 15 minutes a night as a sub.  Also why aren't we supposed to discuss individual players?  I would hope that they are doing more important things than worrying about what people are saying about them on a board. 

JSwarriors08

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Once again, lets stay away from talking about the future of individual players.  Its unfair and simply wrong.

Why is this wrong?  I am not speculating specifically or making a value judgment.  I am simply bringing to light rumors that have been tossed around.  I am not saying that I hope any of these things come to pass.  It's not wrong to say something might happen.  It is a factual reality that Lazar might go pro or that Cubes might play in Venezuela.  I like all three of these guys and I didn't say I want these things to happen.  I think each player is impeccably talented and desire to see them all stay.  What is wrong with a simple observation about a realistic possibility?

I think that's a little ridiculous.  I understand the caution when people start getting into what should happen or what they would like to see happen, but that's not what I'm saying and I don't think it warrants a reprimand.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »
Let's all don't forget the possibility (probability?) of somebody struggling with grades, getting homesick, knocking up a girlfriend back home and leaving to be with her, hating the cold weather and transferring, transferring to get more P.T., not getting along with the coaching staff, etc. etc. etc.

Something happens unexpectedly almost every year.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 07:39:51 AM »
2. Marquette Golden Eagles

Who they signed:

Junior Cadougan No. 5 PG, No. 50 Overall

Jeronne Maymon No. 26 PF, No. 75 Overall

Erik Williams No. 21 SF, No. 95 Overall

Dwight Buycks NR

Brett Roseboro NR

Analysis: Buzz Williams hauled in a gem of a class in his first year at the helm in Milwaukee. He almost had to in order to stay competitive in the Big East with the impending loss of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, and Wesley Matthews after the season. Cadougan should start immediately, and Buycks plays a similar style to McNeal. Maymon and Williams provide length on the wing and Roseboro is a developing lefty. Marquette is still looking at local prospect Jamil Wilson, a versatile player who has a huge upside.

As I sit here I eat my words and apologize to the group, even though my massively pessimistic nature, still meaks me lean towards him going to Texas when Damion James Leaves fo the NBA

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

nyg

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 08:02:45 AM »
MUOVER,
Yeah, you might have spoken too soon with the "He's not coming" thing, but you got the thread going.

I believe Texas would be out and I don't understand why Wilson would even consider going there.  Look at who they are bringing in below.  Unreal, loaded, loaded, loaded.

#3 overall recruit, PF Jordan Hamilton
#3 SG and top 10 recruit, Avery Bradley
#10 SF Shawn Williams

#1 overall recruit, SF Tristan Thompson
top 50 recruit SG, Dan Bejarano

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 12:03:31 PM »
Maybe despite the fact I only graduate 4 years ago I still think we will end up with a TJ Mathews, Carleton Christian Dameon Mason, Grimm draft class every year.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

feedback