Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:25:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU vs UW clash  (Read 5464 times)

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
MU vs UW clash
« on: November 03, 2006, 02:00:24 AM »
I've been staring at the Dec 9th square on my calendar for days now...

I was thinking about how much of a clash there will be in game plans and ofensive philosophies against UW. They are the kind of team that will try to hold you to 50 points but only score 60 themselves. We are aiming to hit the low to mid 80's this season. 

Im not incredibly adept at understanding bball strategy, etc. but I can get by.  I was wondering what some of the you more knowledgeable fanatics think about this.  Would it pay off to stick to our fast paced play against UW? If our offense struggles, will we just be on the fast track to a home loss?  It seems to me that it'll be mostly dependent on who controls the tempo. Any other thoughts?  ???

dennycrane

• Starter
Re: MU vs UW clash
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:07:51 AM »
Wisconsin's offense played at the third fastest pace in the Big Ten last season. source: http://bigtenwonk.blogspot.com/  Only Michigan and Indiana played faster.

I do not know how that compares to Marquette. The teams play differently but the disparity in tempo is not significant.

Denny Crane!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:10:58 AM by dennycrane »

OfficeLinebacker

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 07:35:31 AM »
No, the Badgers do not slow it up on Offense.  They take the first good shot.  Puts them at about 74 ppg if I remember correctly.  That being said,  pressing and an up-tempo style of play is not what they prefer.  They certainly do not run the break as a means of main strategy.  They ran mostly off of turnovers.  IMO teams that applied pressure defense were the teams that bugged them the most.  See the second half of last years UWM vs UW-M game.
You kill the Jo, You make some mo!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 10:20:40 AM »
No, the Badgers do not slow it up on Offense.  They take the first good shot.  Puts them at about 74 ppg if I remember correctly.  That being said,  pressing and an up-tempo style of play is not what they prefer.  They certainly do not run the break as a means of main strategy.  They ran mostly off of turnovers.  IMO teams that applied pressure defense were the teams that bugged them the most.  See the second half of last years UWM vs UW-M game.

I didn't really catch any UW games last year but didn't they struggle against some full court pressure defense last year?  I would imagine we would try to exploit our quickness over their bigness.

OfficeLinebacker

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 07:20:58 PM »
Yes, in fact they did.  I believe they struggled a few times against pressure.  Dont get me wrong I think the UW squad has a chance to go far.  Im even a fan(long after MU).  But teams that go far in the tournamnet generally are good against many different styles.  They could easily go to the final four.  But could also be ousted in teh first round if they play a pressing team.  Guard play is ever important in the tourny.  They have Taylor but he is the one who struggles against the pressure. Both early in the year before he wore down and later in the year.
You kill the Jo, You make some mo!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 10:24:31 PM »
They will rely heavily on very young guards... I really think MU catches them at a wonderful time. If the game is in February UW might win... in December, no way no how. They won't be able to keep up with MU's speed.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »
MUfan12... nice pick on MU!  Be sure to get your picks in for the season in the preseason prediction contest!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

feedback