[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No Hype At All for UWM  (Read 6339 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
No Hype At All for UWM
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
Remember all the pissing matches on the UWM message board last season and the endless debates on if this series should be played?  Well this year there hasn't been any of that.

Even the UWM board only has one MU thread and that just involves getting tickets to the game.
http://uwmfreak.proboards5.com/index.cgi?board=Games&action=display&thread=4255

I'm not from Milwaukee but it seems to me there is zero hype for this game in the city.

JSwarriors08

Re: No Hype At All for UWM
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »
Couple of reasons:

1.  How's the best way to put this?  Maybe that the rivalry has lost a but of intensity as UWM has seen significant decline in its on-the-court success since its postseason run?  What I mean is that everyone might be fairly certain of the outcome already.

2.  No one actually cheers for their respective UW teams.  They care less about the UWM team and care more about the soviet squad to the west of us.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:43:52 PM »
Quote from: Pantherholic
Yep its a bullsh*t series that's a complete waste of time and the fact that Bud had $20k donated to play this farce of a series that will result in nothing is even more pathetic. That $20k could've been used for a lot better purposes than going 0-4 in a series that will net us nothing in the end. I plan on trading off my tickets for when the game is in the Cell next year.

Got this off the board.  That could be a reason why

JSwarriors08

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
Wow... bitter maybe?  Maybe he'd be singing a different tune if we hadn't pummeled them so indiscriminately :)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »
Wow... bitter maybe?  Maybe he'd be singing a different tune if we hadn't pummeled them so indiscriminately :)

or if this years match up didnt look like it is going to be a repeat of last year.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »
or if this years match up didnt look like it is going to be a repeat of last year.

Based on last night's attendance, looks like hype is lacking not just for the UWM game.  That was God awful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
There's a big difference though between an "icy" Monday night game and a Friday night game.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »
There's a big difference though between an "icy" Monday night game and a Friday night game.

Yeah, the traffic last night was insane.  I'm guessing many were happy they made it home and decided not to venture out again. 
Ludum habemus.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
Game is saturday

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 01:14:32 PM »
remember before the series was agreed to panther fans would come here and say that they diserved a home and home with us because they were a better/more successful team on the rise.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »

One of the more enjoyable MU games I've attended.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 01:43:32 PM »
Driving home last night was one of the worst traffic days in a long time.  I know it affected attendance big-time.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Let's wait and see until after the game.  We had to listen to predictions for a half-empty BC last year due to lack of interest in the game, and those people ate their words when the place was packed.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
I was at that game last year in the upper deck and there were a lot of empty seats up there.  It was not packed, especially compared to the Georgetown game, which was every bit of a sellout. 

nola03

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 04:04:18 PM »
I was at that game last year in the upper deck and there were a lot of empty seats up there.  It was not packed, especially compared to the Georgetown game, which was every bit of a sellout. 

Co-sign.

The turnout last year was disappointing even for someone like me who finds this game of no relevance.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »
how can you honestly compare University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee to Georgetown??? There is absolutely no comparison. Of course the Georgetown game is going to be way more packed!

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »
Based on last night's attendance, looks like hype is lacking not just for the UWM game.  That was God awful.

Just to clarify about the attendance last night, Chicos.

I was in Milw for business and was planning on going to the game.  I was staying in Waukesha and figured  I could get the hotel about 5:30, change real quick and head downtown for dinner and the game.

In spite of global warming, there was a huge snow squall  that resulted in the roads to be covered in ice.  There were some bad accidents and traffic was at a standstill.  It took me over an hour to get to my hotel meaning I would have missed most of the first half.  I chose not to brave the traffic going back downtown.  My guess is that most other people chose to stay home too.  Thus the reason for the poor attendance.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 10:53:07 PM »
how can you honestly compare University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee to Georgetown??? There is absolutely no comparison. Of course the Georgetown game is going to be way more packed!

Because UWM fans and some Milwaukee media kept selling the series as a matchup Milwaukee basketball fans couldn't wait to see again.  They assured us that the game would easily sell out and that the series would be competitive, sparking a great college basketball rivalry in Milwaukee.

This of course was all epic B.S.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »
That is true, traffic was a nightmare going into the city. A normally 25 min commute from work in Waukesha took well over an hour, and would have been more if I had stayed on 94. The crowd on Saturday will be much, much better.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »

+1.  We're not talking UW-Madison here; and of course it's going to be more packed for Georgetown.  But for endless talk of thousands of unsold tickets and expectations of it being as empty as it is for any other cupcake game, 18,283 fans in attendance proved a lot of people wrong.  It's more than were there for the other non-conference home games by far, more than the Big East games against Providence, Seton Hall, and USF.  I don't think there will be as many fans at this year's game, but it may not be wise to start predicting the place to be empty again.

nola03

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »
+1.  We're not talking UW-Madison here; and of course it's going to be more packed for Georgetown.  But for endless talk of thousands of unsold tickets and expectations of it being as empty as it is for any other cupcake game, 18,283 fans in attendance proved a lot of people wrong.  It's more than were there for the other non-conference home games by far, more than the Big East games against Providence, Seton Hall, and USF.  I don't think there will be as many fans at this year's game, but it may not be wise to start predicting the place to be empty again.

That number would hold a lot more credence if MU hadn't inflated attendance numbers for most of Crean's 9 years. People at the game knew that number was inaccurate when they read it the next day in the boxscore.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »
I WAS at the UWM game last year and it was easily the highest attended non-conference game of the year. In fact, the Georgetown game was the only other game I can recall that even compared, attendance-wise. The Georgetown game was in a league of its own.

Now, I doubt the attendance will be as great Saturday as it was a year ago, but I can tell you that I'm going and I haven't been to a game yet this year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »
This game would have been interesting if Bud haidets didn't soil his legacy by botching the Mike Dunlap hire.  They won with 2 veteran lower level head coaches, why did they step away from that formula?

It also would have been interesting if TC manned up and played UWM during UWM's brief window of relevance.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 09:13:43 AM »
Will the UWM game be available on Channelsurfing.net?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

nola03

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »
I WAS at the UWM game last year and it was easily the highest attended non-conference game of the year. In fact, the Georgetown game was the only other game I can recall that even compared, attendance-wise. The Georgetown game was in a league of its own.

Now, I doubt the attendance will be as great Saturday as it was a year ago, but I can tell you that I'm going and I haven't been to a game yet this year.

It's pretty clear to see that people who attended the UWM game have drastically different memories of the attendance.

No wonder we have so many girl fights in these forums.  :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »
This game would have been interesting if Bud haidets didn't soil his legacy by botching the Mike Dunlap hire.  They won with 2 veteran lower level head coaches, why did they step away from that formula?

It also would have been interesting if TC manned up and played UWM during UWM's brief window of relevance.

I was there, I can assure you that MU not playing UWM had nothing to do with manning up by Crean.  That decision was made long before Crean was even hired and before Deane was fired.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 10:21:10 AM »
(I'll also say that I was there, and the 2007 MU/UMW game was one of the most attended OOC games in decades, and probably in the top 5 for the entire year.  It wasn't a sell out, but I'd take that kind of attendance every game, no problem, as the upper deck had to be >75% full.)

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
(I'll also say that I was there, and the 2007 MU/UMW game was one of the most attended OOC games in decades, and probably in the top 5 for the entire year.  It wasn't a sell out, but I'd take that kind of attendance every game, no problem, as the upper deck had to be >75% full.)

Cosign. I was in the upper deck, and open seats were scarce.

jce

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

I knew the other person under consideration was the HC of Metro State, but I didn't realize until now that it was the same guy who turned down the interim gig at Arizona.

Wow that wasn't a very good decision on UWM's part.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 11:35:37 AM »
Quote from: Pantherholic
Yep its a bullsh*t series that's a complete waste of time and the fact that Bud had $20k donated to play this farce of a series that will result in nothing is even more pathetic. That $20k could've been used for a lot better purposes than going 0-4 in a series that will net us nothing in the end. I plan on trading off my tickets for when the game is in the Cell next year.

Got this off the board.  That could be a reason why

Aren't we supposed to play 4 at home before we go there? I didn't realize that the "away" game was in the middle...

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »

I am only comparing those two because I live in St. Louis and those are the two games I made the trip up for last year.  I certainly didn't mean to compare the two in terms of importance of games or competition of the opponent.  Again, I don't have much to compare against, but that game was not packed like people said it was going to be. 

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »
Aren't we supposed to play 4 at home before we go there? I didn't realize that the "away" game was in the middle...

Actually I believe it's 3 home, 1 away, 1 home.  So that would put the @ UWM game in 2010-2011.
The General has taken on a new command.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 02:10:50 PM »
Actually I believe it's 3 home, 1 away, 1 home.  So that would put the @ UWM game in 2010-2011.

Gotcha, thanks, General. I happen to know for a fact that you are a walking wiki for this stuff, so I'll take it.  ;)

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
Anyone check out Ticketmaster?  I checked last night and there were two tickets available in Row J of 402.  That's pathetic.  The walk-up crowd should be solid, but I would be SHOCKED if there were more than 16,000.  16,000 is pathetic for all the woofing that went on from the East Side.  UWM fans were guaranteeing sellouts!