[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Injury update: McMorrow to undergo surgery, Fulce timetable pushed back  (Read 10184 times)

OpenLook

• Walk-On
Incidentally, are you admitting that if Buzz does have a track record of doing such things, does regularly weep during press conferences, crawls on his hands and knees during games and continues to keep a running count of the days since he's been hired that it would qualify him as a certified odd ball?

The reason I ask, is that every single thing mentioned above is an iron clad fact.

This is the guy doing PR for Marquette University on national television twice a week for the next 4 months!

Funny, I seem to recall a certain YouTube dance by King BoBo of Madison that was pretty off the wall. Creepy, really. But that was great PR. Buzz getting emotional is, course, bad PR. OK . . . .

MUfan12

• All American
Let's clear one thing up here- He got emotional at ONE point in the press conference after the exhibition game. The man just got done coaching a major college basketball team for the first time, and has had a remarkable rise in his profession. I'm totally fine with that.

I listened to the entire radio show, and didn't hear him get choked up or anything. Yes, he was ribbing Homer some, but the back and forth about positions was to prove a point. A point that WILL HELP US. He wants one of those long, athletic teams with very interchangable parts on the floor. The type of team necessary to have great success in both the BE and NCAA. The type of team we never had with Tommy Hoosier.

The guy is still very much finding his way. I remember how people would complain about Crean bringing up MSU too much when he first got the job.

The most telling thing from last night was hearing Wesley say that it's refreshing not to have someone hyping up one player too much against the lesser opponents. Buzz is obviously a straightforward guy, and frankly I'm more than okay with that. He'll just need some time to put on the PR polish, though I guarantee it wont be as thick as before.

Daniel

• All American
MUfan12 - That was a good point about Crean bringing up MSU all the time in the beginning - I remember that and it annoyed a lot of people.  So let's give Buzz a change to grow here....

Pakuni

• All American
Judas Priest, does every fan base have a group that obsesses over such trivial nonsense? Or is it unique to Marquette?
Who the frick cares that he got emotional for a moment?
Oh, I know ... whiners still unhappy about the coaching choice and looking for just about any reason to be negative about it, that's who.
He's recruited very well, so let's moan about Midnight Madness not being jazzy enough.
The players seem to love him, so let's complain about him getting emotional for 15 seconds.
He brought in a solid group of assistants, so let's gripe about him counting the number of days he's been head coach.
Sheesh, give it up already.

Dick Vermeil turned into a blubbering fool every other press conference. Killed his coaching career, that's for sure.
I guess as a fan I should feel pretty happy that after about seven months on the job, this is the worst people can come up with in regards to Buzz' s performance so far.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:51:12 PM by Pakuni »

MUBasketball

• All American
Right on the money, Pakuni.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
+2.

Well, said.

I don't necessarily disagree with some of the concerns of others... but in the big picture, he's doing pretty well. Let's not nitpick.

Let the guy win or lose some games first.

Seems like several people are trying to get out front so they can say "I told you so" later on... but if Buzz is a success, maybe 2 people will admit that their "concerns" were unfounded.

nola03

Judas Priest, does every fan base have a group that obsesses over such trivial nonsense? Or is it unique to Marquette?
Who the frick cares that he got emotional for a moment?
Oh, I know ... whiners still unhappy about the coaching choice and looking for just about any reason to be negative about it, that's who.
He's recruited very well, so let's moan about Midnight Madness not being jazzy enough.
The players seem to love him, so let's complain about him getting emotional for 15 seconds.
He brought in a solid group of assistants, so let's gripe about him counting the number of days he's been head coach.
Sheesh, give it up already.

Dick Vermeil turned into a blubbering fool every other press conference. Killed his coaching career, that's for sure.
I guess as a fan I should feel pretty happy that after about seven months on the job, this is the worst people can come up with in regards to Buzz' s performance so far.

The only person bringing up Buzz's hiring is you. When does that expire? When can a MU fan bring their opinion to the table without being branded a "whiner" over Buzz's hiring?

BTW, there are posters who are extremely supportive of Buzz's hiring that have written that his press conference and interviews with Rosiak have struck them odd. Hell, even Buzz' Bulldog took time off from his bi-weekly Tom Crean updates to write that the behavior could be annoying if it continues. And he's certainly not a "whiner".   ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:57:17 AM by nola03 »

Marquette65

• Starter
 As to foot injuries, does McMorrow and Bill Walton go in the same sentence?

RJax55

• All American

The only person bringing up Buzz's hiring is you. When does that expire? When can a MU fan bring their opinion to the table without being branded a "whiner" over Buzz's hiring?

BTW, there are posters who are extremely supportive of Buzz's hiring that have written that his press conference and interviews with Rosiak have struck them odd. Hell, even Buzz' Bulldog took time off from his bi-weekly Tom Crean updates to write that the behavior could be annoying if it continues. And he's certainly not a "whiner".   ;)

The reason I agree with Pakuni comments is that the criticism of Buzz is starting to look like the bashing Crean use to take here. Nola, I think you would agree with me that unfortunately most of the criticism aimed at Crean was trivial crap. I didn't care if Crean had a fake tan, inflated attendance figures, or perhaps was the real reason behind the "Marquette Gold" ... I thought he did a good job and supported him.

Now, I don't know what Buzz is going to do here. He could be great, average or horrible, that is yet to be determine. No matter, if I'm going to criticize the man, I will at least base my comments on what the program is doing on the court and in the classroom. I'm not going to nickpick every little thing he does.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
Now, I don't know what Buzz is going to do here. He could be great, average or horrible, that is yet to be determine. No matter, if I'm going to criticize the man, I will at least base my comments on what the program is doing on the court and in the classroom. I'm not going to nickpick every little thing he does.

Perfectly stated!

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
Ugh hopefully he can work on his shooting while in a cast.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Here's a novel idea.

I can simultaneously manage to have both good opinions of Buzz and bad opinions of Buzz.  It's not necessary to exist exclusively on one side of the fence for all issues or even on any single issue.

I can think he's been a good representative of the university AND be alarmed that he appears to get all choked up after a win vs. Colorado State-Pueblo.

Anyone who disagrees with me is a Communist sympathizer. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
Comrade, I must disagree......
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric. - Al McGuire.

This seems especially appropriate here.

nola03

The reason I agree with Pakuni comments is that the criticism of Buzz is starting to look like the bashing Crean use to take here. Nola, I think you would agree with me that unfortunately most of the criticism aimed at Crean was trivial crap. I didn't care if Crean had a fake tan, inflated attendance figures, or perhaps was the real reason behind the "Marquette Gold" ... I thought he did a good job and supported him.

I don't see this as an issue of criticism. I look at it as people having an opinion on a singular event. Now, if these events continue to occur we will have a case for criticism.

As I wrote earlier, there are people who haven't criticized Buzz once since he was hired that have weighed in with an opinion that his press conference, and his subsequent quotes calling out Chris Otule and the medical staff, struck them as odd. Are they being trivial? Are they whiners? Are they just MU fans expressing an opinion?

A good number of people feel that being the Head Coach at Marquette requires some skill in being the top representative of the University. Conversing on how that representative handles himself in public settings doesn't seem to be nitpicking to me.

Pakuni

• All American
I can think he's been a good representative of the university AND be alarmed that he appears to get all choked up after a win vs. Colorado State-Pueblo.

Anyone who disagrees with me is a Communist sympathizer. 

Alarmed?
Really?
Alarmed?

That's just the kind of hyperbole we've come to expect from you bourgeoisie.

Pakuni

• All American

It's quite possible - though I hope not - that Buzz gives us real reason to be critical in the coming months and years.
The reasons people are finding today are trivial, petty and, most of all, irrelevant. Implying that Buzz's moment of emotion, maybe over emotion, somehow could reflect poorly on Marquette University as a whole is inane. As if US News is going to drop MU in its rankings over it. Or rock-solid sources of donations suddenly would dry up because - gasp! - the hoops coach counts the number of days he's been the hoops coach.

And yes, Nola, I do mention the coaching change because by and large the ones nitpicking most are the same ones who p*ssed and moaned loudest over his hiring. You know who you are.

nola03

And yes, Nola, I do mention the coaching change because by and large the ones nitpicking most are the same ones who p*ssed and moaned loudest over his hiring. You know who you are.

Really?

Posters like MUCam, rjax55, spartan3186, Turners, markedman5, and MUBasketball have all expressed to some degree that the comments and/or choking up caught their attention and yet I think all of them rarely "pissed and moaned" about Buzz' hiring.

Look, independent of Buzz' hiring, some people find these actions strange. It's not as simple as saying one's wariness about the former results in one's opinion on the latter.

This could be an interesting plotline during the season.

Pardner

Really?

Posters like MUCam, rjax55, spartan3186, Turners, markedman5, and MUBasketball have all expressed to some degree that the comments and/or choking up caught their attention and yet I think all of them rarely "pissed and moaned" about Buzz' hiring.

Look, independent of Buzz' hiring, some people find these actions strange. It's not as simple as saying one's wariness about the former results in one's opinion on the latter.

This could be an interesting plotline during the season.

HOF Cryer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOPLJQuVm_I

spartan3186

• All American
Being inducted to the HOF and beating Colorado State-Pueblo are two very VERY different things. It's an exhibition game. Act like you've been there before. Oh wait, he has been there before. This is not his 1st D1 coaching gig.