[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SNAER UPDATE  (Read 23989 times)

ondo10

• Walk-On
Re: SNAER UPDATE
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 09:50:45 PM »
I've never seen either play, so I'm just throwing this out there: Who would you rather have, Snaer or Wilson? I have a feeling we're not getting either, but if Snaer somehow gives us a verbal we definitely wouldn't have room for Jamil.

Without hesitation - we want Snaer.  Just look at the makeup of our team next year...

Center:  Otule and McMorrow
Power Forward:  Maymon and Roseboro
Small Forward:  Hayward, Fulce, Williams
Point Guard:  Coudogan and Acker
Shooting Guard:  Buycks, Cubillan, and Butler

Which position do you think is the weakest?  I would say SG by far.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2008, 12:55:13 AM »
I could definitely see Erik Williams getting the starting spot either at SG or SF and having Lazar play SG.  I think Lazar is used to the big man role right now, but with the size we will have next year we could afford to move him to shooting guard.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 01:34:41 AM »
Out of the three finalists, we are the best option for playing time.  FSU has a ton of 4 stars that will be sophomores and juniors and we know what KU has.  AND MU has no SOLID SG.  He would be an amazing pick up.  I hope he realizes that if he comes to MU, he would get around 30 minutes a game as a freshmen if he is as good as advertised. 

Also, after looking at the exhibition game, it seems like Buzz has no issue giving a green light to shooters. 

GO MU!
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

DJAMES1

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 08:42:50 AM »
SNAER will still be making his decision in November, just pushing it back a couple days according to another Kansas paper...

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/nov/11/self_doesnt_expect_changes/?sports

"Recruiting: Michael Snaer, a 6-foot-4 senior from Rancho Verde High in Moreno Valley, Calif., who on Sunday said he’d reveal his college choice on Wednesday, has had another change of plans. Snaer told Rivals.com on Monday his news conference might be pushed back a few days. He indicated he would choose between KU, Florida State and Marquette in the early signing period (Nov. 12-19)"

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »
Found this a couple minutes ago through a google search for Michael Snaer

http://kansas.scout.com/a.z?s=172&p=2&c=810479

9:54 a.m. We’ve polled the parties and here’s the consensus: Michael Snaer is likely to select the Florida State Seminoles. That’s the one school that is on everyone’s lips. There’s a presser Wednesday at his school and we’ll put the Seminoles down as the clubhouse leader. (DT)

Please keep in mind that I have no idea about the reliability of this source, however I did find this nugget to be particularly juicy:

9:57 a.m. Marquette, Michigan State, Oregon or Texas for Jamil Wilson. Word is he’s leaning toward signing tomorrow. In our minds, Michigan State was the long time behind the scenes leader but will they be able to sign him? Whispers began over the Whispers began over the weekend – while he was on his visit to Oregon – about Marquette. Stay tuned. (DT)

What is that all about?  Anyone have anything on this?  This says to me that maybe Snaer isn't as interested as it seems and Buzz went ahead with Wilson.  Very interesting.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 11:18:49 AM »
Buzz said thanks but no thanks to Wilson a couple of weeks back, IIRC.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
Didn't someone post that a KU board heard that he is going to go to KU?  I bet Snaer is spoon feeding these insiders info to keep everyone on their toes.  He has a good PR person.  I can totally see him being the kind of guy to give a verbal and then decommit to get everyone talking about him.  I would still like for him to play at MU.  We need someone like that to stay competitive while our program guys develop next year.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »
You're right, that was pretty widely reported a couple weeks ago.  Rosiak even had a post in his blog about it.

Something here still doesn't add up though.  There wouldn't be whispers around the kid and MU if something wasn't either going on behind the scenes, someone was spreading disinformation, or the report is completely baseless.

I don't know the source, but at the same time I don't know Buzz and his MO...so it could most definitely be any of the three.  

Isn't that what this board is for anyways?  Discussion of wild and potentially completely baseless rumors and innuendo?

It could also be that Buzz knows his chances on Snaer are slim to none and he decided to re-offer Wilson the scholarship.

Could be something, could be nothing.  But it sure does make me wonder.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »

Something here still doesn't add up though.  There wouldn't be whispers around the kid and MU if something wasn't either going on behind the scenes, someone was spreading disinformation, or the report is completely baseless.

Well, that clears it up for me.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
Per scout...

Here's a signing day snag. Michael Snaer probably won't ink on Wednesday. More like Thursday or Friday now.
Tradition Never Graduates..

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »
Per scout...

Here's a signing day snag. Michael Snaer probably won't ink on Wednesday. More like Thursday or Friday now.

As mentioned before, he's running with a crowd of "handlers" that we don't want.  This has been known forever out here by the UCLA folks which is why UCLA has not gone after him with nearly the urgency as they normally would.  He's a great talent but there are plenty of challenges that come with this kid that I'd rather not see associated with MU.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 11:39:24 PM »
As mentioned before, he's running with a crowd of "handlers" that we don't want.  This has been known forever out here by the UCLA folks which is why UCLA has not gone after him with nearly the urgency as they normally would.  He's a great talent but there are plenty of challenges that come with this kid that I'd rather not see associated with MU.

I just don't understand how sometimes these people that surround these kids can be considered by some as "a strong support group" and at other times be considered as "handlers" I guess it is all a question of perception.  I just think in this day in age where kids are getting recruited at a younger and younger age they need to create a group of people they can trust that stay close.  Who are we to tell these kids who they can put into their inner circles?  From what I've read Colvin has handlers, Snaer has handlers, Mbakwe has handlers...heck some may even consider Maymon's father a handler, Im not sure of the true definition.  Its a reality in the world of college basketball today and the sooner programs realize that the better off they will be.  At some point it will be the test of strong program and a coaching staff if they can keep these kids out of trouble while at the same time deal with the "handlers".

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »
If Snaer helps us get to the Final Four and ultimately the Title while he's at MU, I'll take on his handlers any day.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 12:27:34 AM »
If Snaer helps us get to the Final Four and ultimately the Title while he's at MU, I'll take on his handlers any day.

I'd rather be like a UCLA that tells kids with these types of posses to hit the road.  They'll do it without the baggage.  Duke the same.  That's not to say either one of them haven't had kids that have handlers, Lavin most certainly did.  Howland is a different breed.  He's old school, maybe that is why I like him so much.

It's definitely part of today's basketball world, but not all programs are putting up with it.  Or at least they're trying to keep it at a minimum.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »

+1
We Are Marquette

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I'd rather be like a UCLA that tells kids with these types of posses to hit the road.  They'll do it without the baggage.  Duke the same.  That's not to say either one of them haven't had kids that have handlers, Lavin most certainly did.  Howland is a different breed.  He's old school, maybe that is why I like him so much.

It's definitely part of today's basketball world, but not all programs are putting up with it.  Or at least they're trying to keep it at a minimum.

I'm just honestly confused about what the difference between a "handler" and a "support group".  Either I way I garuntee you that Jrue Holiday has a form of one or the other.  Theres somebody whispering in his ear or helping him with conditions.  I've seen articles claiming that Snaer was never that interested in UCLA, I've never seen an article mentioning this kid has "handlers".  I think its an unfair label to put on kid and one that is being used way to often when a kid makes an independent decision that may not please everyone.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2008, 09:01:45 AM »
Hell, I've got handlers too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »
I just have handlers when I take a bath.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Schoonts

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »
Just found this out from my buddy on the KU boards:

Michael Snaer will announce his intentions on Friday live on ESPNU. Just found out a few minutes ago.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:22 PM »
Just found this out from my buddy on the KU boards:

Michael Snaer will announce his intentions on Friday live on ESPNU. Just found out a few minutes ago.

And boom goes the dynamite.....there it is.  The real reason the announcement was pushed back, they had to get ESPN organized and out to SoCal to film it. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
This guy is news conference worthy?  Is he that good?

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »
YES - He is that good. As a result a better get than would be Wilson, although I wouldn't complain about either.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »
I just don't understand how sometimes these people that surround these kids can be considered by some as "a strong support group" and at other times be considered as "handlers" I guess it is all a question of perception.  I just think in this day in age where kids are getting recruited at a younger and younger age they need to create a group of people they can trust that stay close.  Who are we to tell these kids who they can put into their inner circles? 

I'm just honestly confused about what the difference between a "handler" and a "support group".  Either I way I garuntee you that Jrue Holiday has a form of one or the other.  Theres somebody whispering in his ear or helping him with conditions.  I've seen articles claiming that Snaer was never that interested in UCLA, I've never seen an article mentioning this kid has "handlers".  I think its an unfair label to put on kid and one that is being used way to often when a kid makes an independent decision that may not please everyone.

It will be a very interesting situation for Marquette if we get him. All of my friends in CA who follow the hoops scene out there say his AAU coach is a dick and that he firmly believes he is good enough to be "One and Done".

They all agree that he is good, but not all of them agree as to whether or he is THAT good.

Either way the kid does have a large ego and an interesting crowd around him. If we get him it will be interesting to see how Buzz handles it.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2008, 01:45:11 PM »
I just don't understand how sometimes these people that surround these kids can be considered by some as "a strong support group" and at other times be considered as "handlers" I guess it is all a question of perception.  I just think in this day in age where kids are getting recruited at a younger and younger age they need to create a group of people they can trust that stay close.  Who are we to tell these kids who they can put into their inner circles?  From what I've read Colvin has handlers, Snaer has handlers, Mbakwe has handlers...heck some may even consider Maymon's father a handler, Im not sure of the true definition.  Its a reality in the world of college basketball today and the sooner programs realize that the better off they will be.  At some point it will be the test of strong program and a coaching staff if they can keep these kids out of trouble while at the same time deal with the "handlers".
The only support group these kids need and should have are parents or parent-like figures.  Most of the other people who surround these kids are vultures hoping to pick up some scraps.  If the handlers could make it on their own they would.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »

It comes down to TEAM and CHEMISTRY.   I think that's ultimately the point.  This kid is really good, but is he THAT GOOD?  That's what UCLA has been pushing off as the reason they don't want to deal with the extra baggage. When you have a coach, parent, etc demanding playing time, it seaps into the team, the team concept goes away, etc.  It takes a strong leader to be able to squelch that quickly or he can lose the team.

DePaul had some teams with players like that and they never could really put a cap on the egos.   So that is part of the concern that other programs are having.  The kid wants to be showcased so he can be one and done.  You can bet when he's not getting enough shots or starting, then the chirping starts.