[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I/E Error?  (Read 19169 times)

Pardner

I/E Error?
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »
When I click on a thread, I oocasionally am getting this error message (for example).  Not consistently and I don't get the error on other sites.  Me or is there some sort of script error, other problem?

Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site http://www.muscoop.com/indexphp?topic=10086.0 (for example)

Operation Aborted

As I said sporadic.  I can somtimes back arrow and the page loads.  Thanks guys!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: I/E Error?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:32:47 PM »
what version of IE?

The problem is a missing period between index and php in the url.  Not sure why that is happening but if you give us the info I can check into it more.

Thanks for letting us know!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Pardner

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »
what version of IE?

The problem is a missing period between index and php in the url.  Not sure why that is happening but if you give us the info I can check into it more.

Thanks for letting us know!

IE7...I think I figured it out.  Microsoft sent some security upgrades through the other day so internet security settings were turned off.  Went to Tools, Options, Advanced and checked on the SSL and TLS settings (which for me were now turned off).  The error hasn't been reoccurring since.  All good.  Thanks Spiral.

btw, the error did have a period between index and php...I just mistyped it here. 

Edit:  Ok--weird--now it is recurring very sporadically
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:16:08 PM by Pardner »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:42:35 PM »
Hmm.. just spent about 30 minutes browsing the site with IE7 myself and no issues..

try clearing out your cache maybe?  reboot?  typical microsoft answers I know but that's what you get when using MS products LOL

Anyone else seeing this issue?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »
I've been getting that message as well.  Like you said though it comes and goes.

I just hit refresh and the page opens.

Pardner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »

try clearing out your cache maybe?  reboot?  typical microsoft answers I know but that's what you get when using MS products LOL

Yeah--did that...I am sure that MS will issue a fix in a year or two  .:)   

Oh well...error still popping up from time to time...thanks

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:45:32 AM »
Ok - I'll check into it periodically and see what I figure out.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:58:03 PM »
Im getting the error all the time now and refreshing and going back isn't working either.

I'm switching to Firefox.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »
Odd - there are no database errors that have been logged on either of your accounts (well, not since August).  Have either of your tried clearing out the cookies in IE?

FWIW - I'm now using IE7 on the site to see if I can get the error.  Wish me luck :)

Pardner

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 06:31:35 AM »
Yes--I cleared the cookies...also reswept with Spy Sweeper.  I still get the error from time to time.  Weird stuff.  No problems on any other sites.  And, no problems on my work laptop with IE.   I am sure it is related to the IE patch MS just sent through. 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 08:48:26 AM »
Can you guys post a screenshot of the error you see?  I just want to be sure I am understanding what you are seeing and not making an assumption here.

Thanks!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:20 AM »
Together with the error screenshot it'd be nice to see a screen capture of the Help->About Internet Explorer window too if possible..

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »
I've never run into that error with IE6 (don't ask) on this site, but it happens nearly every time someone links a CNN article to me.  This msdn blog article seems to offer an explanation, though not necessarily a fix.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »
I've never run into that error with IE6 (don't ask) on this site, but it happens nearly every time someone links a CNN article to me.  This msdn blog article seems to offer an explanation, though not necessarily a fix.

Hmm thanks for the link.. I'm wondering if it has to do with the countdown script which I just re-added to the banner on top a week or so ago.. I tried adding defer to the script attribute list as your link suggested.

Let me know whether you guys are still seeing the issue now (and if so, provide the screen shots I asked for if you can).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »
Now I'm getting an issue... no error message, but when I go to the main board, it flashes up, then it goes to a blank screen like it's loading. But it doesn't get anywhere. I'm running IE7 as well.

EDIT- Tried deleting cookies and whatnot, didn't do anything. Also, I'm not having any problems with the other boards, just the main one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:36:37 AM by MUfan12 »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »
better?  Removed the defer.. grr...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »
Yes, working now. Thanks!

Pardner

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 08:53:44 PM »
Still showing up sporadically for me...thanks

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »
That screenshot is the same as the error I am getting.

Pardner

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 09:49:24 PM »
Alright tried a different approach.. any better?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »
I am still getting the error. For me, I can get into MUScoop, click on hangin at the al and click on any thread and all is fine. It occurs when I exit the thread using the the back arrow at the top left of IE7 and then click on a new thread or when I exit the thread by choosing home, then choose hangin at the al and click on a new thread or even the original thread I was viewing before. If there is a fix please let me know.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
I can't seem to replicate it with IE6 (yeah, I know, old.  But it's what I keep at work).

If anyone has more info, please let me know.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »
I can't seem to replicate it with IE6 (yeah, I know, old.  But it's what I keep at work).

If anyone has more info, please let me know.

Everything that I've read on this error has pointed to javascript being the issue.  Whether it is your own .js or a 3rd party js library.

Here is the solution common to all of the situations (similar to what Pardner posted a few months back).  This particular solution is described in the Drupal project's issues area, but the explanation is not Drupal specific.  The fix for that particular bug is posted by Stefano, the discussion about the bug as a general javascript issue is afterwards:

http://drupal.org/node/125650
FTA:
For Internet Explorer 6 and 7 some javascripts (specifically those which interact with the document model, and especially those which might interact with it before it has finished loading) must be placed at the end of the document (eg. just inside the body tag, but after all of the other tags are closed) and NOT IN THE MIDDLE of the document. If they are placed in the middle, Internet Explorer MIGHT (ie. MIGHT the second time you load the page, but not the first, or MIGHT with certain security settings but not others) refuse to load the page, with this error: "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site - Operation Aborted" and then, if you click the BACK button after seeing this error, Internet Explorer MIGHT take you back to the page successfully!

Here's Microsoft's "Upgrade to IE8 and you won't have that problem anymore" spiel, followed by an explanation of the issue and how to fix it in the Developer's section on that same page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927917

Edit:
The short fix is to move the <script> elements that are inside of <div> tags on your pages to be direct children of the <body> element and that should fix things right up.  The interesting discussion on the MS page is how to put an empty <div> container above your <script> element and then use your script to modify that empty div container.  Sweet stuff :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:21:26 PM by Skatastrophy »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »
The short fix is to move the <script> elements that are inside of <div> tags on your pages to be direct children of the <body> element and that should fix things right up. 

Err - there's not an easy or good way to do that with our software.  For now, I'm agreeing with MS, upgrade to 8, or use FF  :P

(I'm not really agreeing with MS, but it is their bug.  Hopefully we'll be upgrading to SMF 2.0 this off-season, and I'm hoping they'll have better methods of customizing the site.  The current custom theme stuff is a bit clunky)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 08:53:56 AM »
OK guys, I graduated in 1969 and somewhat Java challenged. So if I upgrade to IE8 this should solve my problem? I googled IE8 and I am somewhat confused. If I download the IE8 should I download it from the microsoft site or the google site. Also, this is not a beta version of IE8 is it? One more thing, when I do upgrade will I loose all my favorites? Thanks.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:15 AM »
@muwarrior69:  Head over to this link to the microsoft website.  There's an orange <download now> button on the page that should kick off a straight-forward download process for you.  You'll have to enter your locale and which operating system you're running, but everything after that should be taken care of for you :)

For now, I'm agreeing with MS, upgrade to 8, or use FF

(I'm not really agreeing with MS, but it is their bug.  Hopefully we'll be upgrading to SMF 2.0 this off-season, and I'm hoping they'll have better methods of customizing the site.  The current custom theme stuff is a bit clunky)

I'm 100% with you.

I admin a 1.x SMF forum as well, and I'm in the same boat as you.  Luckily we're able to assume that our user base is a little more technical so we can call them nasty names if they're using IE in the first place :P

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »
When I click on the download button it asks do you want to run or save. Which should I pick.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
Never mind. I just clicked run and it (IE8) installed just fine. So far no errors returning to the various threads. Everyone who has IE7 should switch to FF or upgrade to IE8.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »
Never mind. I just clicked run and it (IE8) installed just fine. So far no errors returning to the various threads. Everyone who has IE7 should switch to FF or upgrade to IE8.

Good to hear!

feedback