[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette receives 100% graduation rate in men's hoops from NCAA  (Read 4794 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

Marquette receives 100% graduation rate in men's hoops from NCAA

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (muwarrior92)

Tom Crean is gone, but he did manage to leave MU with a graduation record of 100% according to the NCAA. The results were released today by the NCAA. Only 27 men's programs (there are over 330 DI programs nationally) received a perfect 100% graduation rate. Marquette Unviersity was one of the 27 along with Notre Dame. Almost half of the Big East men's basketball programs did not graduate 50% of their players (Cincinnati, UCONN, DePaul, Louisville, South Florida and West Virginia).

More detailed article can be found here

The NCAA has a comprehensive update here.

Marquette's specific rates by team are listed here in a pdf format

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/10/marquette-receives-100-graduation-rate.html

reinko

• All American
The players graduated on their own.  I give TC no credit.  :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

This thread could get ugly soon.   ;)   

I'm glad that whomever the coach is, he is able to sign players that are self-motivated enough to graduate on their own.  I hope that continues with Buzz. 

79Warrior

• All American

Spoken like an real open minded individual.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Did Wade graduate?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MUBasketball

• All American
I think Adrian Trice should get the bulk of the credit for this.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Well, that 100% isn't *really* 100% when you consider...

"Federal statistics do not include transfer students' performances. For example, if an athlete enrolls at one school, then transfers to another, neither school receives credit when that athlete graduates.

Brand said including transfers increases the number of student-athletes measured by 37 percent, and Lapchick said he considered the NCAA's measurement a more accurate number."
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
Crean is gone.   Karma has already gotten to him, at least in the short term.   Let us thank him for the good he did while he was here, including the wonderful graduation rate and the building up of the program.   It is now the era of Buzz and holding on to the bitterness toward Crean accomplishes nothing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ecompt

• All American
I dislike Crean for the way he left but I don't think it's fair to criticize one of the positive marks he left behind. I hope Buzz can keep the graduation rate right where it is.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Congrats to everybody involved in the program (the coaches, academic advisers, players, administration, professors, etc), as this is a great accomplishment.

No matter who the head coach was, or who it will be in the future, graduating kids should be included when reviewing a program's performance.

AlumKCof93

• All American
+1.  I hope Buzz keeps this going.  The key is the kids you bring in, and then making sure the program makes graduating a priority.  Say what you will about Crean, the 100% graduation rate reflects very well on the university.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

muball

• Starter
The criteria for coming up with the numbers could be a work  in progress, if a person is in the program and graduates by the time he/she uses up there eligibility then they should count at 100%. 
Just as important is all players have met academic requirements against their academic year. Example if a player transfers but has met academic requirements equivalent to there class MU and the student should rate 100%.

When Trevor and Scott transferred if they completed courses and qualifed for the next school year MU did there job and they should qualify for 100%.  I think this is very important for kids transfer for different reasons and that should not be held against a school if they meet academic requirements.

jce

The federal numbers are simple to calculate.  Schools are simply supposed to count the number of people who have earned degrees from their institution from their freshman class of six years earlier.  Transfers in and transfers out do not count.

The NCAA statitistics are better because they give a better overall picture when you include those who transfer in to your program.

BTW, Crean deserves a *ton* of credit for this and well as for the fact that he ran a clean recruiting program.  You can say what you want about his coaching ability and the way he left, but those are too things that a coach has a tremendous amount of influence over - and he did the right thing.

RedWebster

• Starter
There is no doubt that Crean did a good job in this area. The kids that stayed graduated. He deserves kudos here.

I sincerely hope that in the panic to replace Crean that the university and the athletic administration didn't decide to start bending admission requirements to land somewhat high profile recruits to stem negative public reaction to our head coaching hiring "process." 

That would be a shame.