[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Something to Watch For this Season  (Read 6721 times)

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Something to Watch For this Season
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »
It is very likely that George Thompson's longstanding record of being the all-time leading scorer at Marquette will fall this season.  Thompson finished with 1,773 points in his (3-year) career
Dominic James currently sits at 1,431 and Jerel McNeal has 1,292.

If both players average the same scoring as last year (12.9 and 14.9 respectively) they will finish the 31-game regular season with 1,831 and 1,753 points respectively.

Unknowns include the actual scoring average in the upcoming season, if they will miss any games for health/injury reasons, and how many post-season games they'll play in.

Could James or McNeal reach the 2,000 point mark?  Let's assume in addition to the 31 regular season games, they play 4 games between the BE and NCAA tournaments. To hit 2,000, James would need to average 16.3 ppg, whereas McNeal would need a scorching 20.3 ppg.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Something to Watch For this Season
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
Get your asterisk out however. Brute Force holds the record while playing in far fewer games. In his day, freshmen couldn't play varsity ball. As an aside, and not to minimize their abilities, but neither James nor McNeal is the player George was. In fact, they can't even carry his jockstrap.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »
If that happens, they should un-retire Thompson's number.

Does anybody still think that Thompson's ouster as radio analyst and the un-retiring of his number were un-related?

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
Agreed that Thompson's record is amazing in that he accomplished it in three seasons. Can't say I agree with the assessment that James and especially McNeal do not measure up to GT. I would guess that even GT would admit that DJ, JM and WM are worthy secessors. Around the hoop, JM somewhat plays like GT -- an incredibly determined force. Defensively they are equals.

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:51:08 PM »
The amount of college games played these days is a lot compared to the days of George.

Naturally this could turn into the same arguement of Maris getting the single season HR record despite Ruth doing it in fewer games... I think we all know that Ruth was better... but it didn't diminish Maris' incredible feat that season.... now Mark McGwire/ Barry Bonds on the other hand...

So I think we could say George was better, but these two have meant so much the the Marquette program the last three years we would be in a world of hurt and near the bottom of the Big East had they both for instance transferred out or pulled a Tyshawn Taylor before they got here.

Also it is important to note, having two top scorers on the team the last three years might eat into the points that one of them would score if they were "running the show" alone.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »
If that happens, they should un-retire Thompson's number.

Does anybody still think that Thompson's ouster as radio analyst and the un-retiring of his number were un-related?

sniff. sniff.  I think I smell a PRN.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »
What is "a PRN?"

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:21:37 PM »
PuertoRicanNightmare - a frequent controversial poster on this board who everybody knows is lurking around somewhere and will be back sometime around when the season starts.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »
What is "a PRN?"

Stench getting stronger

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 08:06:22 PM »
Thompson as a sophomore could do a 360 dunk in trafic. Dunking was not allowed after his sophomore year, because Lew Alcinder was so dominate. McNeal is not comparable to Thompson. Only Wade was better.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »
Stench getting stronger

+1

I don't know how the all-time scoring record turned into an implication of how the former coach was a jerk.

Only one poster has that much vile left for Tom Crean.

Also, RedWebster... how did you know how to use the "teal sarcasm font" in another thread, but don't know who/what PRN is?

You've read the board enough to know that teal=sarcasm, but you don't know who PRN is?

Hmmm... the plot thickens.

C'mon buddy... just admit you couldn't stay away. You had to come back and let everybody know the truth about MU hoops, Tom Crean is a jerk.

EDIT: Took out the word "d*ck" and replaced with "jerk".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:26:41 AM by 2002mualum »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 07:34:42 AM »
PuertoRicanNightmare - a frequent controversial poster on this board who everybody knows is lurking around somewhere and will be back sometime around when the season starts.

And MilWarrior certainly knows a great deal about inter-MUScoop politics with this being his first post and all  ::)

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 08:14:57 AM »
Before this thread goes too far down the wrong path...

I realize Thompson's record was done in three years (I indicated in the initial post) and wasn't saying James or McNeal are better players than he was. (just as I wouldn't have said Diener was better if he hadn't got hurt and broke the record)

If you look at scoring average, I believe Thompson and Wade are at least a couple points/game above everyone else.  That said, this will still be an impressive feat.

A little nugget:  The all-time NCAA leading scorer is 'Pistol' Pete Maravich with 3,667 in THREE seasons. He averaged 43.8, 44.2 and 44.5 ppg in his three seasons.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »
CSI: MUSCOOP
You guys are bizarre. I have seen the "teal sarcasm font" (note unnecessary quotation marks) on previous posts. I am not sure that I've seen the bathroom talk in regards to our former coach. MODS: Can we clean it up?

I am not "PRN." I am a simple hardware store owner with a beautiful niece trying to make ends meet in a town essentially run by a robber baron.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »
I am not "PRN." I am a simple hardware store owner with a beautiful niece trying to make ends meet in a town essentially run by a robber baron.
LOL.

But Red, your hardware store was completely destroyed by a massive fireball. I hope you had insurance.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
It's just a simple observation and logic, Red.

The teal font is often hard to understand for new users, as there is no official guide for using it (some posts way back if you chose to search)

PRN was a notorious poster, and shared your hatred of MU's former head man.

If you have been reading long enough to know how to use teal, then you know who PRN is. Especially when you consider that you share very similar views with him (human nature would be to identify with somebody who has the same views as you do).

If I really wanted to go CSI, I could compare the % of your posts that have a "crean was a jerk" overtone to the % of PRN's posts that had a "crean was a jerk" overtone. I would bet it's similar.

Also, I believe you owned an auto parts store, not a hardware store. Remember? Dalton comes in to your store to buy parts for his car.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
Your familiarity with Road House tells me you must be in the movie business.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 10:20:01 AM »
Nope.

I just have TBS.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
And MilWarrior certainly knows a great deal about inter-MUScoop politics with this being his first post and all  ::)

Don't worry. New SN. I've been reading this board for over 2 years. I know the frustrations of PRN and Murff quite well.

feedback