[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018-19 minutes per game  (Read 20988 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: 2018-19 minutes per game
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
I think the chances of Bailey redshirting are greater than Cain.  (That is without knowing either of them personally.)

A picture of Bailey was posted when he attended the MU @ Gtown game last month.  He looked EXTREMELY skinny. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »
I personally think some of the above minute projections for Joey are too low. They will find minutes for him wherever they can.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »
Doesn't the Mormon religion teach selflessness and all that jazz? If it's best for the team bailey should red shirt. I mean outside of a couple hours of time playing on a court I can't imagine he could do much to stay in shape these past two years. Pushups planks and crunches in his room?
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
The minutes will take care of themselves.    And if MU's problem is that there are too many players playing really well, then I think even the perpetually grumpy will be pleased.     And, when in doubt, press.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Seashells

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »
Who's on the court in the last 5 minutes?
JC
Howard
Elliot
Sam
Morrow (if he can shoot free throws) or Heldt

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
JC
Howard
Elliot
Sam

JC
Markus
Sam
Morrow

And depends on the situation for your 5th guy.

Theo/Heldt if you need to go big
Cain for a shooter
Elliott for an extra ball handler

Morrow is 100% on the floor just for his rebounding ability alone.

That's a pretty solid lineup. JC handling the ball, Sam in the middle of the press break and Markus for a leak out option.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:50:56 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 02:52:46 PM »
JC
Howard
Elliot
Sam

Hoping there's a lot of situations where our lineup the last five minutes are:

Cam
Elliott
Sacar
Brendan
Ike

If those five get on the floor at the same time, I doubt we'll lose.

krumrmf

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »
1: JC (25), Howard (10), Greg (5)
2: Howard (20), Anim (10), Greg (10)
3: Sam (25), Cain (10), Anim (5)
4: Morrow (20), Joey (15), Sam (5)
5: Heldt (20), Theo (15), Morrow (5)

Extra time for Ike and Bailey

Heldt and Anim and Wojo's guys so they will get their minutes (not really a bad thing).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »

Heldt and Anim and Wojo's guys so they will get their minutes (not really a bad thing).

Reasonable, but if Joey really is as good as so many Scoopers who have seen a lot of him claim, it's hard to believe he won't get more minutes than Heldt, Theo, Anim and Elliott.

I've never seen him, so I'm hoping he is close to as good at his role as big bro Sam is at his.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
JC
Howard
Elliot
Sam

It depends on what you need.

Defending a lead:
JC
Elliott
Anim
S Hauser
Heldt

Trailing from behind
JC
Howard
S Hauser
J Hauser
Morrow

Back and forth battle
JC
Howard
S Hauser
Morrow
Heldt
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »
It depends on what you need.

Defending a lead:
JC
Elliott
Anim
S Hauser
Heldt

Trailing from behind
JC
Howard
S Hauser
J Hauser
Morrow

Back and forth battle
JC
Howard
S Hauser
Morrow
Heldt unless John is in Tarzan mode
TAMU

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »

This feels the closest to me. TAMU's is also close, though I just can't see Cain taking a seat given his impact in his limited run - as someone else said, his season was radically different than the others that have used the RS.

Another thing that is worth playing with in non-con: our version of the death lineup in limited run. It didn't work with Rowsey and Markus together, and probably require a less than lethal 3pt shooter on the floor (Greg or JC). I'd love limited run of:

• Markus
  • JC
  • Thing 1
  • Thing 2
  • Morrow

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
A picture of Bailey was posted when he attended the MU @ Gtown game last month.  He looked EXTREMELY skinny.

https://twitter.com/georgieb16/status/973076946157359104?s=21

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 08:59:04 PM »
This feels the closest to me. TAMU's is also close, though I just can't see Cain taking a seat given his impact in his limited run - as someone else said, his season was radically different than the others that have used the RS.

Another thing that is worth playing with in non-con: our version of the death lineup in limited run. It didn't work with Rowsey and Markus together, and probably require a less than lethal 3pt shooter on the floor (Greg or JC). I'd love limited run of:

• Markus
  • JC
  • Thing 1
  • Thing 2
  • Morrow

Limited death lineup? That's exactly who I'd start and play the majority of minutes. Except JC plays and guards the opposing 1 (cut off the head), while Markus shoots and guards off the ball

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 11:03:09 PM »
I would be absolutely thrilled if we get to the point where a top 45 recruit comes to MU and sees 10 minutes a game.  Especially one who got that ranking based not on "measurables" but on skillset and IQ.

I'll go on record and say it's infinitely more likely that Joey is a 1 and done than it is he sees 10 or less minutes.  But if I had to put money on it I say he's here for 3 seasons and starts for all 3 of those.  Or at least gets starter minutes.  I would be absolutely shocked if any of Theo, Jamal, Greg, or Sacar see more minutes than him.  Think a more team oriented Henry Ellenson.

Also Sacar was a better version of both Cain and Elliott last year.  If those two want to pass Sacar in minutes they'll need to improve more than Sacar does this offseason.

I think Cain has the potential to be very, very good.  I'm not sure Elliott is ever more than a high energy, defensive minded grinder.  And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  But in my opinion he's a less skilled Sacar.  Sacar is very undervalued here.  He was great at what he was asked to do last season, and next year it'll be even more evident when the rest of the team is better at what they're asked to do around him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 12:25:43 AM »
I would be absolutely thrilled if we get to the point where a top 45 recruit comes to MU and sees 10 minutes a game.  Especially one who got that ranking based not on "measurables" but on skillset and IQ.

I'll go on record and say it's infinitely more likely that Joey is a 1 and done than it is he sees 10 or less minutes.  But if I had to put money on it I say he's here for 3 seasons and starts for all 3 of those.  Or at least gets starter minutes.  I would be absolutely shocked if any of Theo, Jamal, Greg, or Sacar see more minutes than him.  Think a more team oriented Henry Ellenson.

Also Sacar was a better version of both Cain and Elliott last year.  If those two want to pass Sacar in minutes they'll need to improve more than Sacar does this offseason.

I think Cain has the potential to be very, very good.  I'm not sure Elliott is ever more than a high energy, defensive minded grinder.  And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  But in my opinion he's a less skilled Sacar.  Sacar is very undervalued here.  He was great at what he was asked to do last season, and next year it'll be even more evident when the rest of the team is better at what they're asked to do around him.

Although I don't rank Sacar quite as highly as you do, I sure allow for the possibility of you being right about all of this - and I hope you are.

Meanwhile, the only thing I know about Joey is that a lot of Scoopers who have seen him play say he's a stud, and a lot of y'all have been saying for 3 years now that he's the better Hauser. Both of which make me really psyched to see him in an MU uni.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »
I think instead of a specific lineup it might be easier to look at positions.

Center is easy.  Matt will start most games.  Sometimes he’ll play 30 and Theo 10.  Sometimes it will flip based on matchups or the hot hand.  Ike won’t play much after non-con.  We might see Morrow or Joey here if we go small for a few minutes a game.

Guard is pretty easy too.  I expect Chartouny and Markus to start.  Greg and Sacar will be the primary backups.  Maybe Jamal or Brendan if we go big.

Wings/Forwards is tough.  We will probably see two of these players on the court at all times: Sam, Joey, Jamal, Ed, Brendan.  Which two will change, and I think it will change often, with lots of subs.  Of those players, I think Ed (4) and Brendan (3) are the only ones we will see in only one of the two forward spots.  If we go small or quick, we could see Sacar or even Greg at the 3 spot, but not for extended periods, because our guard depth is too limited.

If you want a really bonkers redshirt idea...why not one of the Hausers?  Especially if they aren’t healthy at the beginning of the season?  It would clear up the log jam at forward, though it would cut down on our chances of success next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »
Well Sam is our best player and Joey already used his red shirt so I would say a Hauser red shirt is a non starter
TAMU

GOO

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 09:13:19 AM »
We should have five guys ready to play guard.  Four that will see time almost every game.   We have 3 (JC, Howard, Greg).  So, Sacar and Cain are the most likely to be the 4th and 5th options. 

I suspect Cain will be the fourth guard if he can defend the off guard.  He can shoot and the offense doesn't have to change as much as when Sacar would sub out Howard or Greg.  This is assuming that Sacar has trouble with the 3 ball this year.  So, I don't see Cain redshirting, given that after those 5, there is not anyone that can really play guard that I am aware of.  Cain improved so much during the year, he probably comes back even better this fall.

Sacar will most likely continue to be the guy that comes in and plays some D when needed on certain players from the 1 to 3 this year.

Plus, Wojo will probably sub more and maybe press some and demand a lot of energy from all players.  He has the depth to do this year.

My question is can JC stop the ball/penetration.  Does he have the lateral quickness?  If so, that would be nice, as last year with Howard and Rowsey, this was so often a problem - at times seemed like a layup drill. 

Also, I don't totally put the pick and roll failure on Rowsey.  Part of the problem was Heldt and Theo getting back into position or trying to guard a guard.  But the recovery on Heldt's part led to a lot of defense breakdown, at least in my eye test/viewing (I have no stats on these opinions).  Heldt is probably limited due to foot speed, but Theo can and should get better.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
I think by conference play, in a normal game, we'll go 10/11 deep, with the bottom 2/3 getting ~5 mpg. In blowouts, with foul trouble, or if nothing seem to be working, minutes will be spread out more (duh). In big games and down the stretch near tourney time, the rotation will tighten to 8/9 players. Here's how I see those scenarios playing out.

Base/normal case

1: JC 28, Elliott 12
2: M2N 28, Elliott 6, Cain 6
3: Hauser the Elder 20, Cain 12, Anim 4, BB 4
4: Hauser the Younger 24, Hauser the Elder 8, Morrow 8
5: Morrow 20, Theo 10, Heldt 8 (may start for tip), Hauser the Younger 2

That's 28 for JC, M2N, Sam, Morrow, 26 for Joey, 18 for GE/Cain, 10 for Theo, 8 for Heldt, 8 combined for Anim/Bailey

With minutes spread due to foul trouble/blowout/nothing working

1: JC 24, Elliott 12, M2N 4
2: M2N 20, Elliott 6, Cain 6, Anim 4, Bailey 4
3: Hauser the Elder 20, Cain 12, Anim 4, Bailey 4
4: Hauser the Younger 22, Hauser the Elder 4, Morrow 8, Theo 3, Eke 3
5: Morrow 16, Theo 11, Heldt 8, Eke 5

That's 24 for JC, M2N, Sam, Morrow, 22 for Joey, 18 for GE/Cain, 14 for Theo, 8 for Heldt, 16 combined for Anim/Bailey, Eke 8

Tightened rotation in big games/March

1: JC 32, Elliott 8
2: M2N 32, Elliott 4, Cain 4
3: Hauser the Elder 26, , Cain 10, Hauser the Younger 4
4: Hauser the Younger 26, Hauser the Elder 6, Morrow 8
5: Morrow 24, Theo 10, Heldt 6

That's 32 for JC, M2N, Sam, Morrow, 30 for Joey, 14 for Cain, 12 for GE, 10 for Theo, 6 for Heldt

Lineup on floor in crunch time

JC, M2N, Sam, Joey, Ed (best 5 players)

Lineup to defend a large lead down the stretch

JC, Greg, Anim, Morrow, Theo (height, athleticism, strength, 5 best defenders)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
Well Sam is our best player and Joey already used his red shirt so I would say a Hauser red shirt is a non starter

I was mostly thinking in case of injury.  If Sam can't go until December or January, should we hold him out?  Same goes for Joey (though if 17-18 counts as Joey's redshirt year he'd have to get a medical hardship waiver I assume). 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2018, 10:05:40 AM »
I'd plop him in front of TV and play a clip of Mikal Bridges getting his named called as a lottery pick and say "I want to use this redshirt year to make this happen for you"

I'm not going to go into all of my thinking on this topic because I think I might do a quick PT post on it. But I think there are a lot of reasons why it would make sense. I am a big fan of the redshirt and think it is criminally underused in college basketball. Glad Wojo found a way to use it each of the last two years. With 12 high major caliber players eligible to play next season (assuming Eke is healthy), I think it would be a waste not to use it.

Hey TAMU - I LOVE Cain.  Floated red shirt idea during conference play this past season.  A year of dedicated strength and conditioning could do wonders for his game.  Yet, as I think about it, he's probably a guy that is going to be in the Top 7 of rotation THIS year.  As a result, I'd be inclined to NOT go the redshirt route, even if Cain were willing.

I see Top 10 in order as:

Markus
Sam
Morrow
Joey
Chardonnay
Jamal
Greg
Theo
Sacar
Heldt

I'd probably be more inclined to see if they could talk Elliott into a red shirt, as he, like Cain, needs a lot of work in the weight room - I'd say even more than Jamal.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »
I was mostly thinking in case of injury.  If Sam can't go until December or January, should we hold him out?  Same goes for Joey (though if 17-18 counts as Joey's redshirt year he'd have to get a medical hardship waiver I assume).

One medical hardship no matta for Joey and Ike. They would need a 2nd medical hardship for it to make a difference. They cannot take a voluntary redshirt. (They would lose a year of eligibility if they sat out.)

For example, Kobe King played 10 games and got hurt. He'll get a medical hardship for last year. But he will not have the option to voluntarily redshirt the rest of his career.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »
Best thing about this thread is that the amount of time Joey sees is so up on the air.  Tells you how deep this team is. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »

I'd probably be more inclined to see if they could talk Elliott into a red shirt, as he, like Cain, needs a lot of work in the weight room - I'd say even more than Jamal.

I think other players bring a more similar skill set to Cain than players do to Elliott. That makes Elliott more valuable to the team and less likely to redshirt, in my mind. Not that I think that Cain either should or will redshirt.