'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bad news in Minneapolis tourney  (Read 3294 times)

larrym

• Starter
Bad news in Minneapolis tourney
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »
The plane carrying a HS team going to Memphis then Alabama was recalled to the gate today because of an investigation of an alleged sexual assault.  There was a team from Memphis there as well as Williams' team from Alabama.  Both team colors were green, which is the color of the warmups in the pictures.

http://wcco.com/crime/sexual.assault.tournament.2.624107.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:15:56 PM by larrym »

🏀

• All American
Re: Bad news in Minneapolis tourney
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
Looks like someone on LeFlore is getting into some trouble.

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »
It should be interesting to see how this plays out and who is all involved. Hopefully   NW isn't involved what so ever
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

Doesn't look like it.  The article has been updated with the following paragraph:

Garcia said that players from LeFlore High School from Mobile, Ala. were not suspected in the alleged assault, saying only their suspect "is a basketball player from the Marriott."

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:01:16 PM »

Doesn't look like it.  The article has been updated with the following paragraph:

Garcia said that players from LeFlore High School from Mobile, Ala. were not suspected in the alleged assault, saying only their suspect "is a basketball player from the Marriott."

Seems like they contradict themselves some.  Earlier in the article it says, "Police confirmed underage suspects had been removed from the plane and were being questioned. "

So they stopped a plane with the LeFlore team to remove underage, basketball playing suspects, but it's not anyone on the LeFlore team.  Hmm.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »

Seems like they contradict themselves some.  Earlier in the article it says, "Police confirmed underage suspects had been removed from the plane and were being questioned. "

So they stopped a plane with the LeFlore team to remove underage, basketball playing suspects, but it's not anyone on the LeFlore team.  Hmm.

There was another Memphis team on the plane.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »

There was another Memphis team on the plane.

Yeah, I guess I knew that was possible.  I actually had it in my first post.  That's probably what it is.  I was just surprised that they named LeFlore, but didn't say anything about the Memphis team.  I guess when you're dealing with minors, it's probably only safe to give clues on who it isn't.

eagles11

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »

Probably not.  It was a scheduled flight bound for Memphis and Birmingham.

NW 456
Departs: Minneapolis/St. Paul-Int'l, MN (MSP)   Arrives: Memphis-Int'l, TN (MEM) 

Gate: F2   Gate: B32 

Scheduled: 6:55AM   Scheduled: 9:02AM 

Actual: 7:32AM   Actual: 9:35AM 

Aircraft: DC9-50   Weather: MEM 

Note:  Delayed due to accommodating passengers. 

Departs: Memphis-Int'l, TN (MEM)   Arrives: Birmingham, AL ( BHM ) 

Gate: B32   Gate: 

Scheduled: 9:58AM   Scheduled: 10:56AM 

Actual: 10:01AM   Actual: 10:56AM 

Aircraft: DC9-50   Weather: BHM 

I like NW's reason for the delay -- "accomodating passengers".  Yeah, something like that...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:13:18 PM by eagles11 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
In that picture it shows in the article that sure looks like the LeFlore coach in the black sweatsuit (I saw him at the tournament at the Al last weekend), and wouldn't they picture the team who got taken off of the plane for questioning?  Seems like a weird situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

eagles11

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
Alright, see if you can figure this out.  I'm totally lost by this account from the Pioneer Press (St. Paul, MN):

http://origin.twincities.com/localnews/ci_7897358?nclick_check=1

(Minneapolis sergeant Jesse) Garcia said the players were from LeFlore Preparatory Academy, a public school in Mobile, Ala.

"She says it happened in a certain room and we stopped those kids and it wasn't them," Garcia said. "She might have been wrong on the room."
The flight was headed for Memphis and then Birmingham, Ala., Hogan said, and was delayed about a half hour. The players missed the flight, but took another one home, Garcia said.

Garcia could not say if there were any other teams on the same flight. However, there was a team in the tournament from Memphis. The principal at that school, White Station High School, told the Memphis Commercial Appeal that the players questioned by police at the airport were from his school, the newspaper's Web site reported Sunday evening.

"The police came and got a couple of our guys off the plane,'' David Mansfield said. "But when they checked into it and everything, it was not our team or our kids at all.''

Contacted by cell phone while his team had a layover in Atlanta, LeFlore basketball coach Otis Hughley said his players had been cleared.

"All I know is it's none of my guys,'' he said. "They questioned as many people as they could. They wanted to make sure before everybody left. You don't let people go home if you think they did something.''

So the sergeant says the players were from LeFlore, the Memphis coach says it was his players that were questioned, and the LeFlore team changed planes in Atlanta and wasn't even on the flight to Memphis?  WTF??
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:53:52 PM by eagles11 »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 11:01:51 PM »
My guess is that the girl was raped by somebody who was not on either team. DNA should be able to rule any of them out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 11:48:13 PM »
My guess is that the girl was raped by somebody who was not on either team. DNA should be able to rule any of them out.

I'm sure Mike Nifong can figure it all out

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 01:45:51 AM »
That's an offensive foul (putting on sunglasses), now how good is his defense?  YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:58:58 AM by MOwarrior »

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »

Considering the quoted lines above about her possibily being wrong on the room perhaps she even got the hotel wrong or, you know, the whole event wrong.

Hate to think that way but with too many crying rape/assault when no such event transpired it makes it even harder for those who are truly victimized to be believed.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »
Now the story at the original link says that 3 LeFlore players were questioned and put in a lineup, but not identified by the victim.  All LeFlore players are cleared.  No mention in the article about the Memphis team being questioned.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
FWIW, I think we can also rule out NW even being a suspect.  The players that were questioned were all underage, and NW is now 18.