[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cottingham out as AD?  (Read 31605 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Cottingham out as AD?
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »
Time to start my HIRE CRAIG PINTENS campaign...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »

You said "needs an infusion of new blood."  That implies things are stale.  Sometimes an outside perspective is exactly the wrong thing.  If MU is going along with a mission and a vision for where it wants its athletic department to go, brining in someone else might unnecessarily derail something that is going well.

But that still doesn't mean a national search isn't appropriate.

Not sure why you want to paint my comments as something negative.   I am not trying to express that attitude.

"Sometimes an outside perspective is the exactly wrong thing."  Yep.   Sometimes. 

BTW, TMJ4 had Broeker on for a few seconds tonight.

1. It's a real head scratcher why Cotty resigned.  The way the stories have been told up till now, is the blame was primarily with Public Safety, not reporting events to the police.  MU is not a scapegoating kind of institution.  Now Cotty resigns in an abrupt manner.  Cotty could have left in many other ways .. waited a few months .. explain he wanted to get back into litigation .. yadda yadda.  Makes a guy wonder ...

2. TMJ4 reported that MU is beginning a national search, to hopefully conclude before basketball season begins.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
To Sultan, Pakuni .. I didn't say things are bad at all .. I'd say the opposite: things are running smoothly at a high level.    That doesn't preclude a new guy at the top, providing fresh perspective with new ideas to push us further up.

I don't necessarily think you meant things were bad, but saying things like "needs an infusion of new blood" and "needs a different perspective," it definitely implies that you're seeking a change in direction. IMO, MU's general direction is not in need of changing. Some things could improve, for sure, but overall the athletic department is doing well. A national search and bringing in someone from the outside is fine, but there's no need, IMO, for a different perspective.

Ohbie

• Walk-On
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
Cottingham may have done some good things, but I'm for one not upset that he's gone.  Based on my interactions with the man, he never came across as very nice nor outgoing. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
What's with the board-boner for pintens?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 07:49:05 AM »
The MJS this morning pretty much said that there was some inappropriate interference by members of the AD...and insinuates Buzz was one of them.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 08:07:30 AM »
The MJS this morning pretty much said that there was some inappropriate interference by members of the AD...and insinuates Buzz was one of them.

Iterference?  No, it did not state that.  It said that the coaches were inappropriately notified about the incident and they should not have.  It did not say there was "interference".  Words have meanings ...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »
Cottingham may have done some good things, but I'm for one not upset that he's gone.  Based on my interactions with the man, he never came across as very nice nor outgoing.  

Were you looking for a new friend?

That's one of the last things I'd worry about in my AD.  He made some very wise choices in Buzz, Bond Shymansky, Golf coach......you'll notice a trend between C-ham's coaches...GOOD RECRUITING.  

Cottingham put a premium on a coach who could recruit and I liked his philosophy of grabbing young, motivated, program sellers for coaches.

Thanks again for all you've done for MU Cottingham.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:38:54 AM by Stone Cold »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
What's with the board-boner for pintens?

If you don't know, you can't afford it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »

Link? Can't find anything like that, at least online.
And it would be odd, given that the Milwaukee DA's statement said exactly the opposite, that there was no attempt to interfere by any member of the coaching staff.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »
Odd, because it's written out exactly in the print version of the Chicago Tribune, but I cannot find the same version online.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-marquette-athletic-director-resigns-20110630,0,1297885.story

But the print version also says

Marquette administrators have acknowledged the athletic department inappropriately responded to an October case of sexual assault involving athletes.

The school has publicly criticized a meeting between coaches and the four accused athletes.  Though staff has not been accused of interfering with the investigation, authorities say the gathering offered an opportunity for players to compare stories before law enforcement interviewed them independently.

One athlete sent a text message to the victim during the meeting, asking if she had made a report to campus security, according to officials.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
Iterference?  No, it did not state that.  It said that the coaches were inappropriately notified about the incident and they should not have.  It did not say there was "interference".  Words have meanings ...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/124829839.html

"Asked twice if he was reprimanded, Williams did not answer. Said Broeker: "The coaches in that program, the coaches in said program, were reprimanded through, as I said, to the head coach who, in all of our programs, is accountable, as we said before."

So, you don't think this infers anything???

BCupper

• Walk-On
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
If we do do a national search, what are we looking for?  We are not going to get a sitting AD at a school with football.  I think we need to define if this job is better than being the AD at a basketball school like Xavier, Butler, VCU?  The budget that we have seems to suggest that it might be.

I think that Broeker may be the best bet as he knows his way around, has a relationship with Buzz (maybe i shouldn't assume that, but you would think he does).  It seems like most people on the board thought SCottingham was a great guy, but maybe didn't have the charisma needed to be an AD at a Big East school, it seems like Broeker has that charisma.  As noted by other posters it is not like we have been going in the wrong direction as an athletic department, so maybe staying in house is a good idea.  

All of that being said, i don't think we will know if Broeker is the best man for the job until we see the list of finalists for the job.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
Could someone define "reprimand" as used in this context. Limit on sweet tea or chew?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

groove

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »
Could someone define "reprimand" as used in this context. Limit on sweet tea or chew?

reprimand in this case means a new $2.5 million contract.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »

"Asked twice if he was reprimanded, Williams did not answer. Said Broeker: "The coaches in that program, the coaches in said program, were reprimanded through, as I said, to the head coach who, in all of our programs, is accountable, as we said before."

It's impossible for it to infer anything. And I don't think it implies what you are inferring.
From where are you drawing such an inference, especially in light of direct comments (no inference necessary) from the Milwaukee DA saying the exact opposite.

http://media.jsonline.com/documents/Chisholm_Marquette_letter.pdf

Seems to me someone is trying to find wrongdoing that doesn't exist. MU handled the situation poorly enough. No need to invent things to be critical about.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
If we do do a national search, what are we looking for?  We are not going to get a sitting AD at a school with football.  I think we need to define if this job is better than being the AD at a basketball school like Xavier, Butler, VCU?  The budget that we have seems to suggest that it might be.

Here is my biggest concern, which addresses what we might be looking for.

The Big EAST is not a very stable league.  Will it blow up with the football members leaving?  Will it add more members?  How will the TV contracts play in all of this?  

I'd like to know that the AD has a plan.  Maybe that the AD has some relationships with the right people.  The politics and power will be huge.

Maybe Broeker is the right guy.  But with all those issues looming, MU does nothing but benefit itself to listen to other candidates and see who might have the best approach.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
Yes, there are some coaches that are 'above' their AD. Buzz is not one of them. Not even close, in fact. Add 20 more years and a NC and then I'd agree with you.

Why would you say this?

I get the sense Buzz answers to one guy...MU's President.  MU has decided in the last 10+ years to put most of its eggs in the basketball basket and in doing so has given their coaches incredible power.  Given that it results in our name on the marquee at Madison Square Garden several times a year, it's for the most part a good move, for the most part.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:47:39 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »

I think that Broeker may be the best bet as he knows his way around, has a relationship with Buzz (maybe i shouldn't assume that, but you would think he does).  It seems like most people on the board thought SCottingham was a great guy, but maybe didn't have the charisma needed to be an AD at a Big East school, it seems like Broeker has that charisma.  As noted by other posters it is not like we have been going in the wrong direction as an athletic department, so maybe staying in house is a good idea.  

All of that being said, i don't think we will know if Broeker is the best man for the job until we see the list of finalists for the job.

Jeff Hathaway from UConn. But I put the odds of us landing him at 0

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
I guess I still don't see why the meeting with the players after the Oct. incident was such a problem.  I understand why the DA thinks it was, but it comes back to the fact that both DPS and the girl decided to not report it to MPD.  So what are the coaches supposed to do?  The necessary people already decided they weren't reporting it, so does the coach just ignore it forever?

I would expect the coach to get those players in his office ASAP, chew them out, and let them know they're in for some serious discipline.  It seems like that's exactly what happened here.  Then one of the players gets nervous wondering how the coach found out and texts the girl (who he obviously knew beforehand if he was texting her) asking if she reported it to DPS.

The DA even acknowledged that the coaches didn't do anything to try and interfere, just that getting the players together gave them an opportunity to get their story straight.  They could have done that anyway, and probably did, since they all obviously know each other already and live nearby in the same dorm.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
The DA even acknowledged that the coaches didn't do anything to try and interfere, just that getting the players together gave them an opportunity to get their story straight.  They could have done that anyway, and probably did, since they all obviously know each other already and live nearby in the same dorm.

This.
The notion that meeting with their coach somehow gave them a unique opportunity to get their story straight is absurd.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »
This.
The notion that meeting with their coach somehow gave them a unique opportunity to get their story straight is absurd.

+1 as well.  Those guys almost live together/eat together/etc.   The concept of "let's get our story straight" does not take an advanced degree to conceive of.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »

You certainly are fast and loosee with your terminology.  Where, again, does it state they "interfered"?  As far as I can tell, they were reprimanded and no reasons were provided as to why.  You assume it is "interference"?  Try not to jump to conclusions (or infer) that are damning without evidence.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »
Pakuni. He was reprimanded for something it seems. Nothing illegal but likely against MU policy.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »
You guys owe me a beer - I said in 1999 that in the next 15 years, we will lose 2 ADs. BAM.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

feedback