[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Announcers  (Read 36579 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Announcers
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2023, 08:59:32 AM »
Boy did he stink when he played for the Giants. Goes to the Packers and becomes a good/relatively phenomenal running back. It showed me that a running back is only as good as his offensive line.

Brother Warrior:

Chuck Mercein had a wonderful game in the Ice Bowl. Especially on the last drive.

He was good but certainly not phenomenal. In fact, he didn't play two weeks later in the Super Bowl against Oakland. Ben Wilson started at fullback and got virtually all the snaps in the game.

Mercein was a great man as well. I believe he may have been signed by the Washington Commanders when coach Lombardi was there for his year, but never played.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2023, 09:03:18 AM »
It's weird to me that during a timeout, that Kustok doesn't correct Simms on Oso name. He had it correct at times, then went back to saying it incorrect. Weird.

Its weird to me that they know the player names of the other teams we play but not ours; and here we are 4-1 in conference and still the studio guys still are not convinced we're a good team.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2023, 09:03:24 AM »
EVERY SINGLE GAME IS ON TV.  This is the cost.

I'll pay the cost to see EVERY SINGLE GAME ON TV.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2023, 09:05:25 AM »
Its weird to me that they know the player names of the other teams we play but not ours; and here we are 4-1 in conference and still the studio guys still are not convinced we're a good team.

Anti-Marquette conspiracy strikes again! It's rigged!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2023, 09:05:58 AM »
Boy did he stink when he played for the Giants. Goes to the Packers and becomes a good/relatively phenomenal running back. It showed me that a running back is only as good as his offensive line.

"Relatively phenomenal?"

Even if you include the playoffs in 1967, he played in seven games and rushed for 89 yards.  He ranked seventh on the team in rushing behind even Bart Starr.  He was no better the next season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2023, 09:07:47 AM »
Do other fan bases bases this much about the announcers? We seem to have an inordinate amount of angst over the quality of announcing in our games
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2023, 09:12:39 AM »
We are lucky we are living at a time when almost every Marquette game is accessible everywhere in the U.S. with a standard cable subscription (Spectrum and others).  If it weren't for Al McGuire in the 1970's and his connections to TVS, those outside of Milwaukee TV coverage would have never seen Marquette.  I was lucky to see 3 or 4 national games because of Marquette's presence at that time, so I will never complain about TV coverage.  If you don't like the announcers, mute them.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2023, 09:13:43 AM »
Do other fan bases bases this much about the announcers? We seem to have an inordinate amount of angst over the quality of announcing in our games

Maybe it's just me, but outside of a couple of instances a game, I rarely remember ANYTHING any of these people say good or bad.  I honestly didn't even know they were mispronouncing Oso's name until I read it here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 09:20:08 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2023, 09:16:41 AM »

Good announcers improve the experience of watching a game, and bad announcers (especially horrible ones) can detract from it. Dickey Simpkins, for me, is unwatchable; I have to turn the volume way down. Pete Gillen is pretty much there too. And no, we're not the only ones; reddit, Deadspin and others are filled with angst-filled takes on announcing. There are entire sites set up to track awful announcers (including awfulannouncing.com).

Last night's duo, aside from the dozens of Iggadoris, were fine. It was even comical after awhile. Shoulda been playing a drinking game (though we all woulda been sloshed).

Gotta run and get my tin foil to protect me from the Iggadori/Travis Kolek/Devon Gardner conspiracy.

We are lucky we are living at a time when almost every Marquette game is accessible everywhere in the U.S. with a standard cable subscription (Spectrum and others).  If it weren't for Al McGuire in the 1970's and his connections to TVS, those outside of Milwaukee TV coverage would have never seen Marquette.  I was lucky to see 3 or 4 national games because of Marquette's presence at that time, so I will never complain about TV coverage.  If you don't like the announcers, mute them.

Totally agree.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:59:45 AM by MU82 »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2023, 09:21:40 AM »
I was mad at the announcers when they kept praising Soriano for a great athletic dunk and didn’t mention he got open by throwing Stevie to half court.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2023, 09:24:31 AM »
I was mad at the announcers when they kept praising Soriano for a great athletic dunk and didn’t mention he got open by throwing because Stevie flopped to half court.

FIFY

Even Ronaldo thought that was bad.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 09:38:39 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2023, 09:37:40 AM »

I think the most likely explanation for this is that the announcers are pretty regional and probably called other SJU games.

I recall being pretty put-off by the Providence announcers and how much they seemed to favor Providence (even my daughter noticed and commented). Then at our next home game, I noticed that the announcers seemed pretty pro-MU. It seems that FS1 announcers tend to be more familiar with the home team, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2023, 09:47:08 AM »
When there are bad announcers , I turn the volume down and put on Homer and Tony Smith

That said I am a big fan of Simpkins and Bardo. Simpkins hypes MU quite a bit. He is trying to created some excitement with his style.  .I think some times Bardo has had a few pops before the broadcast, which keeps things interesting.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2023, 10:06:54 AM »
All announcers and all CBB podcasts hate Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2023, 10:33:44 AM »
When there are bad announcers , I turn the volume down and put on Homer and Tony Smith

That said I am a big fan of Simpkins and Bardo. Simpkins hypes MU quite a bit. He is trying to created some excitement with his style.  .I think some times Bardo has had a few pops before the broadcast, which keeps things interesting.

Maybe I should do this. I am so tired of motormouth announcers who say so many words but offer so little insight. And when they do not bother to tell you who the foul is on when it could be two different guys (the cameras are not always on the guy who got called right after the whistle) I am really pissed.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2023, 10:47:45 AM »
Quote from: mileskishnish72 link=topic=63967.msg1497318#msg1497318 date=
She wasn't bad. She wasn't good. She was OK, but no Doris Burke.
Simms, as usual, sucked.

I didn't have a major problem with either announcer.  Then again, I don't mind Bardo, Simpkins, or Gillen (I draw the line at Lappas)

Two minor things about Kustok bothered me.

1. It seems like she deepens her voice during games a la Elizabeth Holmes.  Maybe that's what you have to to be heard in a game environment, but after Theranos there's something offputting about it.

2. The outros to commercial breaks came across as a poor attempt to mimic Raftery's overly excited half-grunt style "...THEREs Omax DOING his job MAKIN buckets...."  It comes across naturally for Raftery and sounds forced and contrived coming from Kustok.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2023, 10:48:16 AM »
Quote from: wadesworld link=topic=63967.msg1497367#msg1497367 date=
All announcers and all CBB podcasts hate Marquette.

Except Fanta.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2023, 11:03:09 AM »
I am a big fan of Simpkins and Bardo. Simpkins hypes MU quite a bit. He is trying to created some excitement with his style.

Bardo's not bad. Knows hoops. He just says, "I tell you what" too often and calls everything "elite." Makes me laugh more than annoys me.

Dickey is brutally bad; have to just about kill the volume. I'm glad he has at least one big fan, though.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2023, 11:27:16 AM »
I was mad at the announcers when they kept praising Soriano for a great athletic dunk and didn’t mention he got open by throwing Stevie to half court.

Yes.  Another example of two people not being good at their job. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »
So glad when the announcers keep telling us how many possessions it will take for the trailing team to catch up near the end.  :o  Also, when a trailing team has the ball with :20 on the clock and is down three- "They don't have to get a three here". Technically correct, but umm...My favorite was one game when on the last possession of the 1st half (cannot remember who was playing) when the announcer said (and I am NOT making this up!) "they can have the last shot...if they want it.  ;D

Raferty;s "get those puppies organized" is a strange expression. Anyone have an idea of its origins? 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2023, 12:02:36 PM »
Possibly Hush Puppies shoes?   Get your feet/shoes/Hush Puppies/puppies organized.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2023, 12:04:37 PM »
Possibly Hush Puppies shoes?   Get your feet/shoes/Hush Puppies/puppies organized.

That works.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2023, 12:10:40 PM »
I don't know.  However, he is of an age and background that it would be a possibility.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2023, 12:14:27 PM »
I think all announcers hate every team I cheer for and I complain a lot about them on social media, to friends and family. 

I also don’t like how all announcers seem to favor teams I hate and players I hate.  I’m pretty sure ESPN, Fox, NBC and CBS all hate the teams I cheer for, too. 

And don’t even get me started on how stories about my favorite teams always get buried in the newspaper
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2023, 12:21:24 PM »
I think the most likely explanation for this is that the announcers are pretty regional and probably called other SJU games.

I recall being pretty put-off by the Providence announcers and how much they seemed to favor Providence (even my daughter noticed and commented). Then at our next home game, I noticed that the announcers seemed pretty pro-MU. It seems that FS1 announcers tend to be more familiar with the home team, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Your correct. Jeff Levering is the Brewers TV/Radio guy. So, he know MU, UW, DePaul, Northwestern well. Bardo does midwest games becasue he is a midwest guy to just name two guys.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback