[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Chicago MU Bar  (Read 10419 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: New Chicago MU Bar
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »
The oldest Irish Pub in Lincoln Park is now the newest Marquette bar.

Hidden Shamrock is older than Kelly's Pub? Older than Glascott's? Wouldn't have guessed that.

Ask the guys at Halligan Bar what happens when someone with more juice wants to be THE Marquette bar in Chicago.
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
Now that's a rational good critique of what I said.  Good point, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective I suppose I could do that.  Still gonna maintain that that Blue Horseshoe guy has a stick up his ass though.  

Absolutely untrue.....
                                    he does have one up his arse, though!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »
Don't forget about Will's Northwood Inn located on 3030 N. Racine. The owners are super friendly and the bar celebrates everything WI. (They show badger and packer games, but no one is perfect). I can't wait to see what terrible things people have to say about this bar.It is a good place to watch a game though.

That place is a Badger bar. I'm not saying its a bad bar, if you are a Badger fan its probably the best in the city. But its not an MU bar and is not worthy of consideration for anything related to MU.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »
That place is a Badger bar. I'm not saying its a bad bar, if you are a Badger fan its probably the best in the city. But its not an MU bar and is not worthy of consideration for anything related to MU.

They show all the MU games though. I lived across the street from there last year and went to Will's for the majority of the games. Even when the games weren't on TV they would stream them online and hook up a computer to the TVs.

Its defanitly a Badger bar though.
Bring back FFP!!!

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
Will's was a good combo of Vadgers and MU for a good few years.  Everyone played nice together - and got good and drunk together - while either or both games were on.  Quite a few MU alumni gathered at Will's for every game including the 2003 tourney run and the huge MU win at then-number-4 Louisville in early 2004 that made a group of us late for a buddy's wedding.  Thankfully both the groom and (more importantly) the bride were fellow alumni.  Memories....

Hidden Shamrock brings back a couple of garbled memories of its own.  Ah, to be young and dumb again.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
When you're old enough to get a proper drink, you'll go somewhere not named Hidden Shamrock for any and every reason.  Personally, I'll leave if I hear the bagpipes in a bar... or Brown Eyed Girl.  Same difference.  Might as well throw in jingling keys during free throws.

Plenty of places to watch MU hoops in Chicago.  The Blue & Gold might not dominate the crowd, but but none of the aforementioned annoyances either.  and get this... not necessarily on the north side (gasp!).

On another ranting note,  isn't it time to drop "Irish" from "irish bar"?  Everyone serves the black stuff.  But only the "irish bars" throw some lucky charms on the wall and say the bar was inspired by something in Kerry.  And there isn't anything else more Irish than some fratastic jackass in a green shirt or the apostrophe.  The owner(s) may be irish... it ends there.  Wrong?  Tell me what makes a bar "irish".  Start.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
When you're old enough to get a proper drink, you'll go somewhere not named Hidden Shamrock for any and every reason.  Personally, I'll leave if I hear the bagpipes in a bar... or Brown Eyed Girl.  Same difference.  Might as well throw in jingling keys during free throws.

Plenty of places to watch MU hoops in Chicago.  The Blue & Gold might not dominate the crowd, but but none of the aforementioned annoyances either.  and get this... not necessarily on the north side (gasp!).

On another ranting note,  isn't it time to drop "Irish" from "irish bar"?  Everyone serves the black stuff.  But only the "irish bars" throw some lucky charms on the wall and say the bar was inspired by something in Kerry.  And there isn't anything else more Irish than some fratastic jackass in a green shirt or the apostrophe.  The owner(s) may be irish... it ends there.  Wrong?  Tell me what makes a bar "irish".  Start.

+1

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
Tell me what makes a bar "irish".  Start.

It serves alcoholic beverages.
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

To answer your question, it seems like "Irish Bar" has almost become just a generic "style" of bar. Sports bar, cocktail lounge, corner tap, Irish bar, dance club, etc.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 08:23:12 PM »
It serves alcoholic beverages.

Winner.

Halsted harp is another MU Irish bar owned by 2 Irishmen. They serve the black stuff too

Marquette32012

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
I don't think the Hidden Shamrock would even want all you uptight complainers there. I like that bar. I'll definately spend some MU games there, taking advantage of those deals. If you don't like the idea of it then don't go. Posting negative comments about it is pointless. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
I don't think the Hidden Shamrock would even want all you uptight complainers there. I like that bar. I'll definately spend some MU games there, taking advantage of those deals. If you don't like the idea of it then don't go. Posting negative comments about it is pointless. 

Congrats on joining MUScoop! Welcome to the community, I'm positive your contributions to the board will be met with warmth and friendliness.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »

Somehow, I don't think that the three or four dozen people in all of Chicago who aren't uptight complainers are the ones keeping the Shamrock in business.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

zensor69

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
All things said, I think it would be cool to have a sticky thread in the superbar with MU friendly bars in big cities...

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »
All things said, I think it would be cool to have a sticky thread in the superbar with MU friendly bars in big cities...

It already exists right here:  http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/start

feedback