'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette- Providence Autopsy  (Read 2452 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
Marquette- Providence Autopsy
« on: January 19, 2023, 09:03:01 PM »
Something I noticed from watching the tapes of last night’s game vs. Providence.
Marquette played a half court game much of the time and I asked myself why was that?  They love to 3/4 court press and create “Havoc”. And yet there wasn’t nearly enough of that. And that is part of the strategy: to get fast breaks, speed up the game because your players are faster and quicker, and if you can sub in players you can wear the other team out. And you get more possessions. That helps your shooting percentage.  Probably, it was knowing the Providence guards are strong ball handlers. You overreach just a little bit and they’re gone.

I also think this was an experiment, and a learning experience. You can overwhelm a lesser opponent with your press, but when you get to big boy games, you better have a half-court offense.  I know, I’ve seen it before. If you don’t blow up the court on a break away dunk, things can go to crap if you can’t play in a slow down game.   If you can’t do the fundamentals: pass, cut, set screens, pass the ball for someone with a better shot you’re wasting your time. All those things you can do to frustrate your opponent are part of what it takes to win. That’s how it works.

One last thing. I’m so glad the team doesn’t do the weave half-court out around 22 feet. I really hate that. And MU doesn’t do that. They set screens and Tyler makes smart passes. He’s so OK.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Marquette- Providence Autopsy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 09:05:42 PM »
Something I noticed from watching the tapes of last night’s game vs. Providence.
Marquette played a half court game much of the time and I asked myself why was that?  They love to 3/4 court press and create “Havoc”. And yet there wasn’t nearly enough of that. And that is part of the strategy: to get fast breaks, speed up the game because your players are faster and quicker, and if you can sub in players you can wear the other team out. And you get more possessions. That helps your shooting percentage.  Probably, it was knowing the Providence guards are strong ball handlers. You overreach just a little bit and they’re gone.

I also think this was an experiment, and a learning experience. You can overwhelm a lesser opponent with your press, but when you get to big boy games, you better have a half-court offense.  I know, I’ve seen it before. If you don’t blow up the court on a break away dunk, things can go to crap if you can’t play in a slow down game.   If you can’t do the fundamentals: pass, cut, set screens, pass the ball for someone with a better shot you’re wasting your time. All those things you can do to frustrate your opponent are part of what it takes to win. That’s how it works.

One last thing. I’m so glad the team doesn’t do the weave half-court out around 22 feet. I really hate that. And MU doesn’t do that. They set screens and Tyler makes smart passes. He’s so OK.

Excellent points oilcan.  The weave and heave drove me up the wall. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 09:07:50 PM »
I am of the opinion that MU was conserving energy.   Did more trapping and double teaming in the half court instead.
Speculation only.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 09:25:28 PM »
Oh yeah, you also have to box out and rebound. As my friend Brandon Bell, just reminded me. He was a freshmen pg on that team in 2002-2003. He wasn't at the festivities last night to celebrate the anniversary. He didn't get a special jacket with the number on his back. But he'll never forget the experiences he had. Crean telling him what to eat on the plane. Missing a game winning shot at the buzzer against Louisville. And have an entire arena chant "Charlie's better!!!"   And then, there was the hard work. And that always pays off. And then Wes Matthews comes to town. Listen, it comes and goes and nobody knows what the future holds. Play hard. Play to win. Live to learn. And you can't go wrong.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 09:30:09 PM »
I don't remember Brandon being on that team.   I thought he was a freshman in 03-04.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 09:36:27 PM »
I don't remember Brandon being on that team.   I thought he was a freshman in 03-04.

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/brandon_bell

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 09:39:03 PM »
Yup.  2003 still in high school.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 09:43:10 PM »
George Santos can really tell great stories of his time on that team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 09:50:28 PM »

Why Mike, why?

🙄🙄🙄

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 10:13:43 PM »
I apologize. Sincerely. A terrible mistake on my part. If Brandon had been on that team he would have bragged about it. He didn't. I guess I just wanted it to be true. I should have checked with him first, before I did what I did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 10:14:12 PM »
Why Mike, why?

🙄🙄🙄

Why? Because it's funny. And because the guy claimed to be a star athlete.

Also, you do know there have been lots and lots of Santos references on Scoop over the last couple of weeks, and this was the first by me, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 10:17:02 PM »
I apologize. Sincerely. A terrible mistake on my part. If Brandon had been on that team he would have bragged about it. He didn't. I guess I just wanted it to be true. I should have checked with him first, before I did what I did.

No worries oilcan.  Everyone makes mistakes. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 10:58:15 PM »
Why? Because it's funny. And because the guy claimed to be a star athlete.

Also, you do know there have been lots and lots of Santos references on Scoop over the last couple of weeks, and this was the first by me, right?

Mike, 🙄

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 11:44:38 PM »

Normally, I would have a witty retort. But I shall keep my mouth shut out of respect for the stated rules of this site. Or should I say rules for thee and rules for me.

I learned a long time ago its usually the guy who throws the second punch that gets tossed out of the bar.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 02:04:02 AM »
Oilcan

Great post on your overview of the game. All really good observations. I was thinking the same thing on the half court defense and thought it was done because of guys getting worn down. Three tough games in a week and maybe needed to slow things down.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 02:07:16 AM »
Dribbler

Well worded reply to 82.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 03:50:20 AM »

Right about that stupid weave. MU got it right to dump Wojo and hire Shaka Kahn.
Not many of the Wojo settlers have stepped up and admitted that.
But the way that Shaka has handled things is what was needed

One last thing: Remember all the: "Wojo has us on the upward trajectory" defense comments.
Glad we have Shaka.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2023, 04:54:45 AM »
This thread is all over the place

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2023, 05:16:09 AM »
This thread is all over the place

It’s part of the Scoop beginner catalog
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 06:10:26 AM »
MU can't successfully press aggressively without putting Oso in a bad spot...need to protect his fouls.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 06:15:06 AM »
Given much of the Providence offense is predicated on speeding up and searching for contact, I imagine this was a concerted effort by Shaka to avoid having to speed up and instead focus on keeping the Prov players in front of them.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 06:26:25 AM »
I am of the opinion that MU was conserving energy.   

I think you've hit on it, Tower. The guys looked gassed down the stretch in RI, not in MKE.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 06:28:46 AM »
I think you've hit on it, Tower. The guys looked gassed down the stretch in RI, not in MKE.

Did Crean take the oxygen chamber?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 10:22:32 AM »
Did Crean take the oxygen chamber?
Yes and the tanning bed.
Goal is National Championship

pbiflyer

• All American