[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We Must Clean the Glass  (Read 4074 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
We Must Clean the Glass
« on: January 17, 2023, 08:01:14 AM »
Starting tomorrow night.  This is one area where we're going to have to improve moving forward and I believe we can.  It seems to me part of this issue is basic fundamentals and overall tenacity.  No, we're not blessed with a bunch of Dennis Rodman's or Moses Malone's, but finishing our defensive possessions has to be a team focus. 

Grab the basketball!  Sometimes we react in lieu of owning the ball and holding on with two hands.   It cannot just be Oso, this must be a collective effort and with unwavering relentlessness  and intensity.  We have seen it in spots but have also gotten bullied a bit as we were Sunday.  How important do I think rebounding the rock is as we move towards the NCAA tournament?  It can be the difference in making a F4 and  losing to a 13 seed in the 1st rd..

Let me just leave you with this small note.  I rewatched the Sunday game and have gone from 85% believing we gifted them the game to 100%.  And for those of you that are content and say "Muggsy you can't expect to win every game" I will tell you emphatically my eyes are wide freaking open and functioning like a bald eagle.  We 100% threw away two games.

Chucky Hepburn played out of his ass and Purdue was too good.  Fine, we can deal with that.  I'm also by no means suggesting our guys aren't balling and folding under the pressure or Shaka isn't doing a masterful job.  This team is as exciting a group as I've seen in a decade and I love their competitive fight.  My point is we have a real chance to make a deep run and would have never thought that before the season started.  CARPE DIEM!  We absolutely can do this NOW and the future is even brighter.  This is just a reminder that we cannot be complacent and accept moral victories, even as Scoopers/MU Fans.  Let's throttle Providence tomorrow and get this train rolling again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 08:06:52 AM by MuggsyB »

tower912

• All American
Re: We Must Clean the Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 08:02:21 AM »
This was identified as a concern last summer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 08:05:15 AM »
This was identified as a concern last summer.

I know.  Possessions matter.  It can be done as a group. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 08:07:01 AM »
And it's been a weakness of Shaka teams for awhile.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 08:09:04 AM »
And it's been a weakness of Shaka teams for awhile.

We were terrific against Purdue.  It's difficult for sure but I do believe we can hold our own.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »
Just sent the team a case of Windex; should be there for Wednesday's game.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 08:13:19 AM »
"My eyes are wide freaking open." Of course they are- you have had 3 gallons of coffee already, haven't you?  ;D  I'm guessing you are also bald, right?  ;D

Yeah Muggs. Although it has been pointed out many times that Shaka does not make rebounding a central part of his system, it is one factor that has really hurt us. Too many missed opportunities.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »
"My eyes are wide freaking open." Of course they are- you have had 3 gallons of coffee already, haven't you?  ;D  I'm guessing you are also bald, right?  ;D

Yeah Muggs. Although it has been pointed out many times that Shaka does not make rebounding a central part of his system, it is one factor that has really hurt us. Too many missed opportunities.

I have 0.0 hair loss to this point Scoop Snoop.  :)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »
I have 0.0 hair loss to this point Scoop Snoop.  :)

But how much have you torn out in frustration?  ;D

Rebounding is this team's weakness. Will likely be the case as long as Shaka is coach. I hope they improve on it but I don't see them making any massive improvement midseason.

Personally I was more concerned about our lack of TOs forced against X. They are TO prone team and that is our strength. I expect us to get outrebounded, I don't expect us to only force 10 TOs against a poor ball controlling team. It seemed like we also weren't pushing the pace when we got a turn.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 09:47:47 AM »

Rebounding is this team's weakness. Will likely be the case as long as Shaka is coach. I hope they improve on it but I don't see them making any massive improvement midseason.

Personally I was more concerned about our lack of TOs forced against X. They are TO prone team and that is our strength. I expect us to get outrebounded, I don't expect us to only force 10 TOs against a poor ball controlling team. It seemed like we also weren't pushing the pace when we got a turn.

This! Our rebounding will never be great unless it is by default (aka our opponent is worse). Agree that we did not press our advantage at forcing to's.

Anybody else notice that Muggsy denied the hair loss but remained silent on the 3 gallons of coffee?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 09:50:20 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 09:50:18 AM »

That's a good point.  We probably didn't score off their turns in the 2H. 

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »

I too would’ve like to see them apply more full court pressure against Xavier.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 09:51:12 AM »
This! Our rebounding will never be great unless it is by default (aka our opponent is worse). Agree that we did not press our advantage at forcing to's.

Anybody else notice that Muggsy denied the hair loss but remained silent on the 3 gallons of coffee?

I had a few cups of coffee before heading to work. 

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 09:59:25 AM »
Marquette needs to force more missed baskets. That is infinitely more important than how they rebound.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 10:06:30 AM »
I cleaned the shower and the glass door that goes with it this morning.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 10:19:57 AM »
Marquette needs to force more missed baskets. That is infinitely more important than how they rebound.

Part of forcing missed baskets is defensive rebounding. They forced a ton of missed first baskets against X. It was those second baskets where they couldn't force misses.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 10:23:42 AM »
Jump on me if I am looking at this the wrong way, but even though we aren’t rebounding great, we also aren’t getting outshot by a wide margin each game. Going back through St. John’s, X and St. John’s bot got 4 more shots than us.

Would I like more boards on both ends? Sure. But maybe they recognize it’s not a strength and try to set themselves up in other ways to succeed.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 10:27:49 AM »
Well sure that would help. But they are already losing too many rebounds after missed shots as it is. Catch 22 here.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 10:35:37 AM »
It is what it is. All this team has to do is avoid being completely awful on the glass. They fell short of that Sunday.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 10:37:50 AM »
Look for more teams to send extra players to the glass.   It worked last year to help stop MU's transition game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 11:12:37 AM »
Starting tomorrow night.  This is one area where we're going to have to improve moving forward and I believe we can.  It seems to me part of this issue is basic fundamentals and overall tenacity.  No, we're not blessed with a bunch of Dennis Rodman's or Moses Malone's, but finishing our defensive possessions has to be a team focus. 

Grab the basketball!  Sometimes we react in lieu of owning the ball and holding on with two hands.   It cannot just be Oso, this must be a collective effort and with unwavering relentlessness  and intensity. 

This was the problem when we were defeated by Mississippi State down in Ft. Myers. I remember well leaving the game with JB and the conclusion was this is the one area that will haunt us all season.

Think about it -- if we had rebounded nearly evenly with Providence, Wisconsin, Xavier, Miss State and Purdue, we'd probably be close to undefeated. My recollection is rebounding killed us in all those games.

There probably is limited opportunity to address this year without fundamentally changing the way we play -- or our rotation. But it's an issue for next year.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 11:13:58 AM »
On the rebounding, yes we all know it is a issue.   Even Shaka talks about it and say we need to get better.  Ok so what is being done about getting better?  Recruiting? Practice?   In game adjustments?  This is the part that gets a lot of us crazy because it is acknowledged as an issue by the teamsters and coaches and a few on Scoop (haha)  as a problem.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
It is what it is. All this team has to do is avoid being completely awful on the glass. They fell short of that Sunday.

We weren't good.  It's the long rebs and not getting loose balls that drove me up the wall. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »
I think someone already said this but why would it take almost half the conference season for Big Eat coaches to send more players to the offensive glass?  If this is indeed true, they need to be fired.  Between last year and our pre conference season this year, they should already know how to play MU.   

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 11:19:48 AM »
Jump on me if I am looking at this the wrong way, but even though we aren’t rebounding great, we also aren’t getting outshot by a wide margin each game. Going back through St. John’s, X and St. John’s bot got 4 more shots than us.

Would I like more boards on both ends? Sure. But maybe they recognize it’s not a strength and try to set themselves up in other ways to succeed.

In some ways they've already done this, with pressing, trapping, and defensive intensity. The whole story isn't told in fg or OREB stats....Xavier had too many offensive boards which then turned into free throws, and a couple and 1 opportunities. Rebounding is something this team can improve upon, and they really need to to win games like @Xavier.