[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Winning on the road in conference against ranked teams  (Read 9776 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Winning on the road in conference against ranked teams
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2023, 01:25:42 PM »
It was basically a desperation heave in a situation where a 3 pointer wasn't needed at that time.  Same with KD's shot.

We'll disagree that Joplin's shot was a "desperation heave." There were 2 minutes left in the game, we were only down 4, and there were still about 8 seconds left on the shot clock. He did get away with a blatant travel right before that, though.

KD's certainly was a desperation, last-second shot, but he sure was angry at himself for not having known where his feet were.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2023, 01:32:08 PM »
I think after this game teams will

1) take away TKs left

2) deploy 2 bigs whenever they have them

I would bet the farm we see Sonogo and Kilngon on the floor together next time around

I get your point but as far as Kolek goes, Big East coaches have had a year and a half to do this and haven’t.  I was worried about this in the beginning of the season.  I am no longer worried about it because they haven’t done it yet.  Are they waiting for next off season to make the adjustment?

These opposing coaches are either dumb or it’s harder to do than many people think.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2023, 01:50:58 PM »

I get your point but as far as Kolek goes, Big East coaches have had a year and a half to do this and haven’t.  I was worried about this in the beginning of the season.  I am no longer worried about it because they haven’t done it yet.  Are they waiting for next off season to make the adjustment?

These opposing coaches are either dumb or it’s harder to do than many people think.

And there has been a lot of coach turnover.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2023, 01:59:17 PM »
And there has been a lot of coach turnover.

True Dr B.  But I assume they having scouting reports. 

Last year they stopped Kolek by making him score and he was hesitant.  Now he’s is scoring and that is not working. 

Now people want to make him go right just like they want to make right handers go left.  We’ll see if it works.  They were too dumb to try it the first time I guess. Perhaps they should do the same thing to Kam while their at it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »

Well, actually, I think they mostly have. It was stunning that Kolek was able to go to his left and get all the way to the hoop so easily against X in the first half. He also had a big scoring game at Providence, and that did include some LH drives, but it wasn't always just a straight line to the hoop with his left. Otherwise, in which game did TK get a ton of easy LH drives? He's only taken double-digit shots in 4 games all season (only 2 in the BEast), and he's only averaging 10 ppg. By and large, teams haven't just let him have his way. As I said, I was shocked Xavier did.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2023, 03:03:06 PM »
Good points 82.  But they are more reasons not to worry as some posters have said about this happening.  The good news is we have a good team and other teams have to pick their poison. Coaches know how to scheme us but our offensive efficiency says it doesn’t work. 

Viper

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2023, 05:25:29 PM »
They were 8/11 from the FT line. Do you expect perfection?
sarcasm on sarcasm. 8/11 is fine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2023, 10:45:47 AM »
Good points 82.  But they are more reasons not to worry as some posters have said about this happening.  The good news is we have a good team and other teams have to pick their poison. Coaches know how to scheme us but our offensive efficiency says it doesn’t work.

Agree 100%.

There are teams that present mismatch problems for us. But our guys present a lot of mismatch problems for opponents, too. That's part of the fun of it all.

feedback